Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cams on stock Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cams on stock Turbo

Hi guys,
Before the flaming begins, I have searched and I'm finding it hard to get a concrete conclusion (yes I know its the internet so this might be a pipe dream). There are many really good threads on cams with big turbos and ones where people start out wanting info on them with a stock turbo then change their mind and go for a bigger turbo - but none that have hit the nail for me.

My GF has an 01 Evo 7 with a power FC, intake and exhaust and AVC-R boost controller. I'm a nissan man (R33 GTR) so I can't really give her much advice on the specifics for the 4G63.

Is there any kind of consensus as to what cams work well on a stock turbo with a stock head. It seems that 272's are the go and Kelford are doing a good job with theirs. I understand that with a stock 7600ish rev limit then springs/retainers aren't needed.

It is a street car first and foremost but we use it in hillclimbs and it has some track work. I love the factory spool and would like to keep as close to this as humanly possible.

All we are after is a good bump in the mid range power and torque and maybe some top end over the factory items. I don't see any need for more than 400whp with what we do with the car, and already have the GTR for big power.

Please feel free to comment because as I said above I am a 4G newbie and would like to learn, if I am so far off track with the cams idea and there is something else that is a better one please let me know that too

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Old Jul 1, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well tim, your in luck. I am getting ready to drop in a set of those special K 272's, on a stock turbo, with stock valvetrain, into an 04 GSR VIII. I will let you know. Then it will be off to get a tune, and we will see what she makes. I also have a thread, don't know if you visited it yet or not, but there is some decent info in that one as well--> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...why-where.html

Get back to you when I know.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks bro, anyone else got anything they could add?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you want the extra power? Up top? Down low? Mid range?

Most EVO owners are more concerned with how their car performs on the dyno than how it performs on the street. So, they go with big cams to make those big numbers. Nothing wrong that.

However, I wanted low end and mid range power to make the car more responsive in everyday street driving, so I went with HKS 264/264. They are terrific cams and very well matched to the stock turbo, IMO.

Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consider GSC S1 profile

Greg at GSC has several posts regarding cam profiles. The GSC S1 adds more power at the top end than the stock cam without any losses. There are dyno charts at their website.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Im a fan of the GSC S1's. Works amazing with the stock turbo, good daily driver, and you dont have to mess with the springs.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am running 272/264hks for this reason. Almost like driving a NA car. Transition to turbo is smooth.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

depending on the power you want will detirmine where your power will fall into play.

a big cam profile on a stock turbo wont do to much, because the stock evo turbos dont hold enough "up top" in the powerband, hence why we have such a big boost spike.

if your on stock turbo go with a little smaller cam to maximize the stock turbo. IE: like a 264/272.

Alot of guys go to a big cam and expect alot of power, but relisticly a big cam will add more mimd range to top end power, well thats not good because the stock turbo cant hold up top.

get a cam that will give you nice mid-range and you will be happy.

GSC S1 or GSC S2
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

I love my GSC S1s. Not on stock turbo, but I like them a lot. I had BC 280s on stock turbo, bumped the powerband way up top. The GSC cams are awesome.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how bout the kelford 272's on stock turbo? my cars at the shop rite now getting them installed and retuned!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

I am running JUN 264's on the stock turbo. You will definately need springs and retainers with these. Great midrange power. With the stock boost settings I hit 12.9 with them. I know my car has a lot of supporting mods. But as far as power adders go...pretty much the head and cams are it.

I have idle problems right now in the summer heat and a real tune by a pro is needed. I am still learning the AEM. I know there is a lot more in the car. But with the setup I had on stock boost it put down 289 whp and 300 wtq. Dyno sheet is posted on here somewhere. Lots of power under the curve. Stock on the same dyno the car put down 235 whp. There were some good gains I saw.

I liked to do auto-x and thats what I geared this build toward. Its still a work in progress and I am sure that now that I have a GM 3 port boost control solenoid and can actually safely raise the boost to 22-23 psi the bigger hp/tq numbers (for stock VIII turbo) ought to start coming in. Personally I am not looking for much more than 350whp/wtq and I should be able to get that with what I got. Sorta just rambling on now....
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

bump, also interested in this.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of us that dd our cars, and want a good autox setup for example, I would be curious how these setups differ in power delivery, on a stock turbo:
264 in/ stock exh.
264 in/ 264 exh.
264 in/ 272 exh
272 in/ 264 exh

Would the longer duration intake promote higher cylinder pressures, giving more torque? Or am I way off on this?
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

i rock S2's on a stock 9 turbo and love them, made a world of difference
Old Jul 7, 2009, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
how bout the kelford 272's on stock turbo? my cars at the shop rite now getting them installed and retuned!
Where you at Ivey Tune on monday? If you were did you get the car back yet and how you like it? What were your new numbers?

Quick Reply: Cams on stock Turbo