Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

car has no power and sounds horrible... misifre cylinder 3?

Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car has no power and sounds horrible... misifre cylinder 3?

About 3 days ago I took my car to autozone to get a CEL cleared, the CEL being o2 sensor bank 1. The reason I get this CEL is because I have a full exhaust, bov, o2 housing, hotside, headers, LICP, inercooler, and I'm not tuned for any of this so the car has been running rich. When the CEL got cleared I still drove for a couple miles before it came back on, I parked the car for an hour, it was raining, and I went for a drive. As soon as I got into boost something happened, the car didn't make any power and sounds like a subaru. It rumbles loud and makes no power. It is so weak that it studders when I slip the ACT clutch I took the car back to get the CEL checked again. This time I get : o2 sensor 1 circuit fault, random cylinder misfire, injector circuit cylinder 3. I'm guessing that it is all caused by cylinder 3 not firing... I checked the sparkplugs and they are black throughout all the cylinders. I thought about it and if its the coil than both cylinder 2 and 3 would misfire cause they share a coil. Its narrowed down to either an electrical problem or injector. How do I test this? Swap injectors? Voltometer? Did anyone ever have a problem like this?

I searched and realized it seems to be a common problem with the evo misfiring, but no one found a solution to this problem. Also, the o2 sensor might be at fault but why would it cause only cylinder 3 to malfunction? If anyone has any ideas or solutions please chime in.

Btw, I'm posting this from my phone so excuse the format if its completely goofy lol
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Check your couplers, Intake, Intercooler, ETC. It may be a leak in the system. Easy stuff first!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:05 PM

Try boost leak first. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
I had the cylinder misfire cel once after I accidentally started the car with my gas cap open.
Good luck.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 07:12 PM

I do have a boost leak, but I always have had it and I'm not too sure what a boost leak would have to do with the 3rd cylinder. I changed all the spark plugs to some other ones, that didn't fix anything. I pulled all of them out and grounded them while I had someone crank the motor and all of them spark up so it is not the coils. The injectors do get power according to the voltmeter, although there is a difference of 2 volts between 2nd and 3rd injector... not sure if that makes a difference. I'm gonna try to get a hold of some other injectors and plugging them in to see if that makes a difference. I'll also fix that boost leak. Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

i would check coils, Spark, MAF, Wire plugs.. make sure double checked
Old Sep 9, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I had random misfire code on my evo 8. Ended up being spark plugs not gapped correctly. Maybe look into that?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Double check injector clips? Make sure they are tight on there.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Had a similar problem with cylinder 1 and 4 not firing. Turned out my ecu was bad. Does your car sound like a subie.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:42 AM

Something similar just happend to me this past week. Turns out my coil was junk, it was still working, but intermittently, which was giving me the WRX noise and the random misfire.

I replaced both coils, plugs, and wires and the car runs solid.

If you know anyone with an evo, swap coil packs and see if that helps.

I had the same idea you did I figured either my 02 sensor was giving bogus readings and causing the car to run terrible or the coils were ****ting out.

Goodluck.