Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Copper Spray on Headgasket - Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Copper Spray on Headgasket - Yay or Nay

Looking for thoughts on using copper spray when installing a new OEM head gasket...

Related to this thread.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ad-gasket.html
Old Sep 17, 2009, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep it simple , mitsubishi makes a great gasket , install , make sure u torque correctly
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

I've done it before. I don't think it makes a difference and have had good results with and without a coat of copper spray. I think it is mostly preference.

Aaron
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:15 PM

Yes use it especially if your using a metal HG, Just try not to get any on the oil passages.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't do it! Clean both surfaces, install headstuds (wait a bit then re-tighten them, get the fluid out from underneath them!), install gasket, head, and torque to spec. I have done a HG twice on my car, first time I used copper spray. Here's the problem (I think it may have been TTP that pointed this out to me): when I took the head off the second time, about 6-months later, most of the copper was gone. Where did it go? Into my coolant and oil, that's where.

Also, think twice about re-using arp head studs. I re-did mine because I had lifted the head the first time and one of the bolts stretched. Everyone says to re-use arps but turns out everyone is wrong, you should not under these circumstances. I ended up doing AMS/TMS L19's to eliminate this as a potential issue. I know this second part is OT but I feel its valuable info I've learned.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct. Do not use copper spray. It ends up clogging up your heater core and can cause a coolant leak in the interior of the car near the pedals
Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Works on old school american iron--no, it isnt going to work on aluminum head Iron block apps.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good input.

I'm using L19's this time around.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
I've done it before. I don't think it makes a difference and have had good results with and without a coat of copper spray. I think it is mostly preference.

Aaron
Agreed
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll be doing a HG and studs in the next week or two when I put my ported head on. I will be going without copper. But I am lapping the head surface.

Since it was mentioned, I've always considered ARPs to be a 1 time use item. I also over torque them though as other wise, they offer very little benefits over the stock hardware. That's my motivation for replacing them. L19s on the other hand you can get tight enough without stretching them past 75% of the way to yield.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Correct. Do not use copper spray. It ends up clogging up your heater core and can cause a coolant leak in the interior of the car near the pedals
only if you glob it on like a retard. wow.

I have used it on all of my builds. I think the result is - a long lasting seal. The copper spray really resists oil and coolant from penetrating the gap over extended time.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

Copper spray a gasket is not designed to stay in place while coolant and oil flows through it at high temperature. It WILL ALWAYS come loose and end up in other places in your coolant and oiling systems.

We have learned from experience and will never again use copper spray. At best it is a band aid for heads that are not flat and should be decked in the first place for proper seal.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
Works on old school american iron--no, it isnt going to work on aluminum head Iron block apps.
Any experience

I've used it for years on my VW, but that is also because I stacked OEM gaskets....

I wouldn't use it on a regular application for your EVO, there is no point in my opinion.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Copper spray a gasket is not designed to stay in place while coolant and oil flows through it at high temperature. It WILL ALWAYS come loose and end up in other places in your coolant and oiling systems.

We have learned from experience and will never again use copper spray. At best it is a band aid for heads that are not flat and should be decked in the first place for proper seal.
Well - I wouldnt buy one of your motors anyways.

And the company I would purchase from - said it was quite fine.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 02:55 PM
Account Disabled

We do not sell built longblocks. A properly built shortblock and a flat head does not require spray to get it to seal.

Quick Reply: Copper Spray on Headgasket - Yay or Nay