Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help with direction to mod my Evo 9 - Long thread FYI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
help with direction to mod my Evo 9 - Long thread FYI

just a heads up this is a long thread but i wanted to explain everything from the get-go so there wouldnt be further questions. Thanks in advance for your time

I own a GG Evo 9. It has approx 50,000 miles on it. The Winter is approaching and I do park it. Over winter I save money and plan for modding for the spring/summer season. Here is the list of the mods that are on my car:

- Catless 3" TBE (Helix DP, Helix TP, Greddy TI-C)
- Hallman MBC
- ETS LICP
- Buschur Cone Filter
- ACT Clutch
- AEM Wideband
- DEFI Boost Gauge
- Whiteline Sway Bar
- Whiteline Roll Center Geometry Kit
- Whiteline Bump Steer Kit
- Megan Racing Street Coilovers
- 18x9 Advan RS wheels w/ Nitto Invo (255/35/18)
- Tuned currently by 4WS @ 24psi

Now, I was thinking of the direction of turbo upgrade this summer. Ive been doing alot of reading on here buuut I need your guys input and you'll see why.

Heres my objective with this car, I want a reliable street car that handles amazing but lookings amazing and can haul ***, that said im looking for around 400hp, I enjoy the the spool up time of the Evo 9 turbo. My big thing is I want the car to be versitile too... what I mean by that IF I wanna drive long distance with it, I dont wanna worry about my tune not working somewhere or not being able to get the gas its tuned for,etc.

I live in Alberta, Canada. We dont get E-85 here, also we dont have the greatest gas. 99% of the gas stations sell 91 octane, theres one gas station company that does 94 octane and as we both know, the higher the octane the better power, less knock, etc but if im going on a trip, there is not always gonna be a 94 octane gas station floating around, ya know?! With my current setup, im on a 94 octane map but if i was gonna go outta town i could always lower my boost back to 18psi and put my old map and Bang, safe and sound buuuuut if i goto a turbo upgrade,etc i cant do that.

The turbos i have basically narrowed down to was the FPgreen(the new one that spools super quick) or the CBRD Full BBK Turbo. I have been told both are very close to what I want, quick spool and can reach the power I want. I was sold orignally on the FP Red but I was told spool up is a lil laggy so i dont really want that, maybe down the road but not now. Currently at this moment I am leaning more towards the CBRD cause the reviews on EvoM have been very positive. I was told the only other mods I'll really need is: Fuel Pump, o2housing, ported exhaust manifold, injectors and turbine. Anything else?? I dont really want cams cause there is no one in my area i feel is qualified to install them, also with the MIVEC i heard the gains are not as big as the EVO 8. Another quick question, I dont know what size of injectors i should get. I wanna keep the Idle stock as possible (I know that can be tuned accordingly).

From my investigations on everything regarding my "octane" issue, I have come to 2 possible conclusions to battle this problem.

1. Have a 94 map and a 91 CONSERVATIVE map. problem with that is that I heard if i wanna do 91 I have to drain my tank completely bone dry. I tried getting a company to do a map for me and it turned out ugly b/c i had 94 in my tank(which they were aware of) and then when i had to fill up the next time it was knocking and what not, i was not happy, they also was pushing me to 25psi, so im thinking it was a real conservative tune it should be ok.. your thoughts?

2. I waaaaaaaassssssssss thinking Methanol Injection. A buddy of mine used to drive a Saturn Ion Redline and told me he used to run meth and drove from one end of Canada and back on 91 octane + meth and did have that worry cause he made a map where it was just 91 octane (pump) and one with the meth(50/50) would fire away. As much as i would wanna do that cause I have heard amazing things about meth when it comes to power, my worry is i hear all sorts of stories about pumps failing and **** blowing! I was told the Aquamist HFS-6 is the best meth kit on the market, the pumps are really good and strong. I know there expensive but when it comes to those sorta things, i dont think price should be a issue!! Im not baller that can just drop $6000 + labour for a new EVO engine haha!

Sorry for the long thread but I thought i'd explain everything and show you guys i have done my research and wanted a 2nd opinion. I would like your feedback on what i mentioned and gimme your honest opinion. Where I live there is not alot of "experts" here. This car was not able to be brought in until June 2008 cause there was a ban on them b/c of the bumper restrictions. I have to get my tuning done remotely too, I dunno if thats do-able with meth either.

Thanks Again!

TERRY
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like the idea of using meth kits so I won't comment on them. If you do decide to go with an aftermarket turbo I would suggest you consider also going with an aftermarket IC, which if you are getting a BBK from CBRD you can also get their IC.

Last edited by X_Evo; Nov 16, 2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Editted because I saw that OP didn't want cams.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep cbrd i/c is one of the best out there