Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spark plugs

**UPDATE 11/29/2009 **

I'm going to go look for some NGK's tomorrow, which kind should i get? The old ones that were in my car when i removed them were,
NGK BR8ES so im guessing standard nickel NGK's

I occasionally get a random cylinder misfire when im in high revs, so should i get a step hotter NGK spark plug?

For a car with a tune, exhaust, cams, LICP, Wal. fuel pump, should i just stick to the NGK BR8ES or should i shoot for another kind of NGK I really don't know a lot about heat range and all that jazz, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys so i went to autozone (first mistake) and got some spark plugs. they recommended Autolite XP iridium spark plugs

The ones i used to have were NGK R BR8ES.... I know now that the ones i got were pretty much a downgrade lol anyway.

When i listened to the engine everything seems firing good and actually sounds a lot better and in sequence then the NKG's However when i push the car i cant help but notice it dosent pull as hard, at least that's what im feeling.

anyway my car has a wal. fp, 3" exhaust, GSC S1 cams, and a tune. should i switch back to the NKG's and buy a new set of em to swap out with the autolites? dose anyone have experience with the autolite xp spark plugs or are they just complete crap?

btw they said they came pre gapped but when i checked they were gapped at .045, so i re gapped them to .028. I know im not supposed to re gap Iridium's but damn, that seemed way off for me to put them in like that.

Thanks guys

Last edited by Solley; Nov 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I believe stock was .027 but that gap should be fine.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know the heat range of the new plugs you bought?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Solley
Hey guys so i went to autozone (first mistake) and got some spark plugs. they recommended Autolite XP iridium spark plugs

The ones i used to have were NGK R BR8ES.... I know now that the ones i got were pretty much a downgrade lol anyway.

When i listened to the engine everything seems firing good and actually sounds a lot better and in sequence then the NKG's However when i push the car i cant help but notice it dosent pull as hard, at least that's what im feeling.

anyway my car has a wal. fp, 3" exhaust, GSC S1 cams, and a tune. should i switch back to the NKG's and buy a new set of em to swap out with the autolites? dose anyone have experience with the autolite xp spark plugs or are they just complete crap?

btw they said they came pre gapped but when i checked they were gapped at .045, so i re gapped them to .028. I know im not supposed to re gap Iridium's but damn, that seemed way off for me to put them in like that.

Thanks guys
if someone told me to put autolite spark plugs in a evo i shake my head and beat them with a stick put the right plugs in before something bad happens to one of those plugs
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

the plugs i am using right now are Autolite XP Iridium - part # XP63

I'm going to go look for some NGK's tomorrow, which kind should i get? The old ones that were in my car when i removed them were,
NGK BR8ES so im guessing standard nickel NGK's

For a car with a tune, exhaust, cams, LICP, Wal. fuel pump, should i just stick to the NGK BR8ES or should i shoot for another kind of NGK I really dont know a lot about heat range and all that jazz, so any help would be greatly appreciated!