Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another problem, for a broke college student...

Old Dec 2, 2009, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another problem, for a broke college student...

So ive been thinking about getting a clutch kit to replace my stock clutch in my evo. Ever since i got the car i can hear this rattling noise when my clutch pedal is depressed. When i push the clutch pedal to the floor the rattling goes away and dosent come back untill i let out the clutch pedal again.

I was always told that my TOB was going out, so i thought no big deal. I found out today that its probably not my throwout bearing because the rattle isnt there when the clutch is pushed in.

So basically ive read, that it is probably my input shaft/ input shaft bearing. FML!!!!

I need input from you all on what it could be. Am i looking at a bad bearing or actual input shaft? if its the input shaft am i screwed or what? I really dont want to have to buy a new transmission

I dont want to spend the money on a cluch kit if my tranny is messed up. How can i tell?

Lastly, yes i do still have the stock clutch in my evo with about 63k miles on it. Best case scenario is that its just an old *** clutch making the noise, could this be? Im sure im not that lucky

thanks guys
-Solley
Old Dec 2, 2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a common and accepted noise. Search "clutch noise" and you'll breathe a little easier. If it made the noise when disengaging, then yes it would be TOB. If the noise is at idle while the clutch is engaged, it's the clutch disc rattling. My ACT has done it for 24k miles. Still shifts 351 mustang dyno whp like butter.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

yes that sounds like input shaft noise which is common. Ive rebuilt too many Evo trannys to count so if you ever want it repaired we can do it at the same time as a clutch replacement.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:32 PM

Sounds like a noisy (not necessarily bad) throw out bearing. I've had them do that on brand new clutch installs.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Poik242
Sounds like a noisy (not necessarily bad) throw out bearing. I've had them do that on brand new clutch installs.
Incorrect. TOB noise would happen only on disengagement, not at idle while engaged with tranny in neutral. This is a classic Evo noise that has been traced down to clutch discs and input shafts time and again. Also, TOB noise more of a squeak, not a rattle.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 04:14 PM

Ok. That may be the problem. What you said above was that the clutch disc was rattling when engaged, which didn't make sense. I see what you are saying now though with the input shaft.

Just FYI, the TOB can still make a noise when the surface is just riding on the fingers of the pressure plate. The noise can go away when you lightly step on the clutch, but not enough to disengage it. Would be a good test to conduct in this case.