Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Redline Water Wetter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline Water Wetter

Ok so what's the verdict on redline's water wetter? I just changed the coolant with 40/60 split of antifreeze to distilled water and threw in a bottle of redline. Now I'm doing some searches and there are threads saying redline breaksdown and turns into a brown sludge in the reservoir after a while. Someone even went as far as to post that redline caused his head gasket leak.

Is redline water wetter ok to run still but just change the coolant regularly? I was thinking every 60k or once a year? Does water wetter have any ill effects?

When I dumped my coolant about 1.5 gallons came out and would go back in. That sound about right?

Just want some feedback before I go and change the coolant again, finding threads complaining about water wetter worries me.

Also, i bought my Evo used and the stealership once told me that my car has an aftermarket radiator. When I went to change it today I noticed it says Koyo? It's definitely not a fancy lightweight koyo but the tags says it. What brand are the OEM radiators?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not trying to swim against the flow but I believe Buschur Racing mentioned multiple times that the Evo hardly has overheating problems. I see people in a rush of buying mishimoto or koyo radiators when the stock OEM actually does the job very well.

I hit 110-115 degrees every summer here in Tucson, I run 91oct all day with boost above 23psi and I never had any overheating issues on my Evos for the last 6 years. Just run the factory mixture, you will be fine.

Carlos
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

OEM radiators are made by Calsonic.

Also, as the guy above me said, the OEM cooling system does a pretty damn good job. I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading anything.

As far as redline destroying a cooling system. I highly doubt that. I can't even see it forming into a brown sludge. That sounds like something stop leak would do. Which the Redline product isn't.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR White
Ok so what's the verdict on redline's water wetter? I just changed the coolant with 40/60 split of antifreeze to distilled water and threw in a bottle of redline. Now I'm doing some searches and there are threads saying redline breaksdown and turns into a brown sludge in the reservoir after a while. Someone even went as far as to post that redline caused his head gasket leak.
TRUE! Got the light brown residue (which isn't there before) in my reservoir after 1800 miles of using 2 bottles of Redline Water Wetter.

Edit: Mixed it with NEW coolant and distilled water after flushing the OEM fill that had 13,974 miles.

Last edited by rush63; Jan 31, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

so you got that rown residue as well? I'm thinking of just flushing my coolant now to save myself the headache when the redline does breakdown and cause the brown residue
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I've been using Water Wetter for 45K miles on a 25/75 ratio (it gets hot hear and never freezes). Never had a problem and never had brown sludge.
... and don't use two bottles;
"Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters. Vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles."
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR White
so you got that rown residue as well? I'm thinking of just flushing my coolant now to save myself the headache when the redline does breakdown and cause the brown residue
Yes. I drained my coolant as soon as I noticed the light brown build up in the reservoir.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbolarry
I've been using Water Wetter for 45K miles on a 25/75 ratio (it gets hot hear and never freezes). Never had a problem and never had brown sludge.
... and don't use two bottles;
"Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters. Vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles."
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10
Perhaps my cooling system had OD of Water Wetter Or could it be a chemical reaction of Prestone coolant and Water Wetter? What coolant are you using?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rush63
Perhaps my cooling system had OD of Water Wetter Or could it be a chemical reaction of Prestone coolant and Water Wetter? What coolant are you using?
Peak
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:27 PM

Im running water wetter and straight water. Had it in since 2004 with no problems. Flushed it in 2007 with a new rad. My temp needle doesnt move past the middle ever. It does change color from red to tanish, but not a sludge. Its just picking up color from your motor ie steal turbo coolant lines ect.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Wetter and straight water, sunds like I may give it a try
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by vetboss
Wetter and straight water, sunds like I may give it a try
Antifreeze has lubricants for the water pump seal and anti-corrosion additives. Water Wetter has these as well, but its safer to include some antifreeze. 25/75 is a pretty decent ratio.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I am not trying to swim against the flow but I believe Buschur Racing mentioned multiple times that the Evo hardly has overheating problems. I see people in a rush of buying mishimoto or koyo radiators when the stock OEM actually does the job very well.

Carlos
Mishimoto relocates the upper hose though which is very nice.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred
Antifreeze has lubricants for the water pump seal and anti-corrosion additives. Water Wetter has these as well, but its safer to include some antifreeze. 25/75 is a pretty decent ratio.

redline actually recomends water and the wetter only. Add 15% glycol if you live in a freezing enviroments.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 05:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by scby rex
redline actually recomends water and the wetter only. Add 15% glycol if you live in a freezing enviroments.
There's very few people that live in a warm enough climate to not have to worry about freezing weather. 15% or 25% - Either way protects against freezing and includes some additional lubricant for the pump seal.

Quick Reply: Redline Water Wetter