Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Wrong oil in transfer case

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong oil in transfer case

So keeping my frustration level at a minimum, I'll shorten this up.

My Evo 9 5-speed was towed into my local dealership because of transmission damage. Car was not under warranty so I had the dealership ship the T-case and Transmission to Jon over at TRE for a t-case tune-up and Stage 2 rebuild on the tranny.

The dealership got all the parts back and installed the transmission/ t-case. I drove the car off the lot and noticed a light humming noise after 30mph only when accelerating and while in neutral it whined it down. So I knew right away it had something to do with the T-case. Thought maybe it was normal after Jon at TRE did his tune up to it. Well i was wrong after talking to Jon and investigating what type of oil they put in the T-case at the dealership.

I brought the car back in and said I wanted to watch the Tech change my T-case oil. As I saw him add 75-85w oil to the T-case I immediately grabbed my DiaQueen LSD 90w out of my car and said "dude, why aren't you using this stuff!?!?" He said that's not what goes in there, so I said ok..... write me a receipt for what kind of oil you put in.

The dealership hasn't admitted that the wrong oil was put into the T-case yet, as per my conversation with the GM and service manager, even after showing them the receipt for the 75-85w and the spec in the Evo owners manual.

They're saying it would take hundreds of miles on the car before any "real" damage would take place on the T-case. They also said their national service rep agreed with them. I say bull**** and say "why the **** do they make special oils and spec sheets then...... so you can put the wrong oil in my T-case!?

So now my question is as follows:

How do I prove to these *******s that under extreme heat that the wrong oil (75-85w) can cause permanent damage.

Defiantly going to probably go to court, I just need some help proving my case. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated as I contacted the DMV, BBB, Attorney General and contacted Mitsu HQ (which was no help I might add)
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't really have a case because nothing was damaged. You can't sue because it might have caused damage. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you replaced the oil asap. Awhile back when I was more ignorant, I drove on bulk non-oem fluid in my TC for 2,000 miles before I changed it to diaqueen. Now, currently at 62,000 miles and going (daily driver). Keep in mind, I have the oh-so-fragile 03' model as well. Bottom line, relax and just be glad you caught it early.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:42 PM

I've been driving on the TC for 1800 miles with the wrong oil. I can change to the diaqueen LSD 90w but the humming noise isnt going to go away though.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you know the noise won't cease if you haven't changed it out? Some, on this board, have heard whining noises when using non-oem fluids such as redline (some have better luck)and reverted back to diaqueen and the noise stopped. Best of luck.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 01:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebanana23
How do you know the noise won't cease if you haven't changed it out? Some, on this board, have heard whining noises when using non-oem fluids such as redline (some have better luck)and reverted back to diaqueen and the noise stopped. Best of luck.
this

until you try it how do you know?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks. I was planning on changing to DiaQueen LSD this week sometime but the general consensus from what I'm hearing, esp from Jon at TRE , is that the tcase will fail in short order.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

u do know that rebuilt transfer cases are louder than the stock ones?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its not some little noise.. his transfer case is making the death whine noise..
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
u do know that rebuilt transfer cases are louder than the stock ones?
It wasnt rebuilt. It was tuned-up:

http://www.teamrip.com/EVO_TRANSFER_CASE_SERVICES.html
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by psphinx81
its not some little noise.. his transfer case is making the death whine noise..
Yes, once it was a small noise but now its really loud
Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe to put it into perspective the wrong oil will probably do damage very soon. I toasted a transfer case (back in 2003) from putting Redline 75w90 in the tc and driving from Seattle - Portland - Seattle. When I got home it was toast. Got replaced under warranty (towed car to dealer Mon morning).
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Been there and done that! I had a shop put the wrong oil in my t-case and I had to take legal action. I personally drained the fluid and took it to a lab and had it tested. When it came back the wrong weight and additive package, I sued and won the case! I took months but I won. Keep in mind, you must have ALL your ducks in a row.

If you have further questions, PM me and I will go into more detail.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

I am going through the same debacle right now. I dont think anything will come of it - I have been given the runaround by every possible person at both the dealer and at customer relations. I am not a happy camper whatsoever.

b
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:00 AM

That's interesting. I spoke to the owner of the dealership and he spoke to his lead service coordinator which called me yesterday and said the wrong oil could cause a severe issue but to change the fluids out anyways and go from there. He also agreed with me that the wrong oil in the T-case will cause damage immediately. Finally someone with mechanical experience that actually works at the dealership

Well I think persistence will pay off in the long run but will be a long haul.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks dambikeracer for the help and insight.

So the mitsu dealership didn't completely admit guilt and they're using the argument of how the wrong fluid wouldn't cause much damage until xxx miles but they're giving me a brand new T-case anyways. haha

Last edited by jrod0187; Mar 9, 2010 at 08:01 PM.