Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

damaged cam lobe pics inside

Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
damaged cam lobe pics inside

New pics after sanding lobe!!!!got these buddyclub 272's used on here one of the ex cam lobes has a small scratch almost dont think its a crack let me know what you guys think and if i should be okay to use them thanks
Attached Thumbnails damaged cam lobe pics inside-170.jpg   damaged cam lobe pics inside-171.jpg   damaged cam lobe pics inside-164.jpg  

Last edited by BLK_EvIL; Apr 2, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
generally if you can feel the mark, dont use it.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like a small scratch. Prolly happend when they took them out.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

can barely feel it with your finger nail i would think if it was cracked it would go through the whole lobe
Old Apr 2, 2010, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

I would not use if I could feel it with the finger nail test. surfaces like that turning at high rpm need to be smooth as possible.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if it was me I'd hit it with some 400-600 grit sandpaper and see if it cleans up. If it does, it wouldn't bother me to use it. I would not do the same thing on a flat tappet cam
Old Apr 2, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guy i cleaned them up with some 1500 grit sandpaper turned out pretty good. Think ill be okay with them?
Attached Thumbnails damaged cam lobe pics inside-015.jpg   damaged cam lobe pics inside-019.jpg   damaged cam lobe pics inside-021.jpg   damaged cam lobe pics inside-013.jpg   damaged cam lobe pics inside-014.jpg  

Old Apr 3, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt risk 6k for a new motor on the cams. as specially when they only run 700 for new cam. there is no real way to say if u will be "ok" running them, its a gamble and personally i would get new cams!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'd run 'em.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

I might just hold out and wait to get a good deal on some gsc s1's im in no hurry to put these in anyway
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
those marks are from over revved motor that bent valves. the rockers go loose and they mark the lobes. some sand paper to knock off the high spots and they are ready to rock. the 4g63 has roller rockers. they will roll right over the marks no issue whatsoever.

amazing to me so many in here recommending not use them. prolly not a single one qualified to change their own plugs. obviously no engine building experience at all. I have reused cams with much bigger marks than that.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
those marks are from over revved motor that bent valves. the rockers go loose and they mark the lobes. some sand paper to knock off the high spots and they are ready to rock. the 4g63 has roller rockers. they will roll right over the marks no issue whatsoever.

amazing to me so many in here recommending not use them. prolly not a single one qualified to change their own plugs. obviously no engine building experience at all. I have reused cams with much bigger marks than that.
You know, i was going to say something about this very thing myself. I was reading this thread again today and saw that many people were saying to not use the cam at all.....lol. For what? It's a perfectly good cam!!!

My original post:

Originally Posted by iTune
looks like a small scratch. Prolly happend when they took them out.
I said this, nonchalantly, because it's not really that big of a deal...lol. It's a small surface scratch on a cam lobe. Even if it didn't pass a "fingernail test", i would still use it. If it was deeper than about .001, we might have an issue, but it clearly isn't. Even then, i doubt it would keep me from using the cam.

To the OP, if you're really worried about this little scratch, sand it down with some super fine sandpaper, install the cams and enjoy them. Don't get all crazy with the sanding either, just a little sanding, so that you can sleep at night.

For everybody else, stop spouting ridiculous ish. It really bothers me, when people start pandemonia with misinformation. If you are not SURE of an answer, don't post anything, unless it reads, "I'm not sure" or, "I have no idea". Don't spread bull**** information. You guys are going to have the OP out buying more effing cams, for NO reason.

LMAO.....

FAIL

Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't even run those cams if they were brand spanking new!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
I wouldn't even run those cams if they were brand spanking new!
whys that i know ther not the most aggressive cam on the market but for a mild setup they should be a improvment over stock
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

I think i might use them then pull the valve cover off after a few thousand miles to inspect

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: damaged cam lobe pics inside