Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 8 in car piston and rods install

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question evo 8 in car piston and rods install

hay guys just looking for a little help from anyone who has done this and which parts were used how it worked out for them in the long run. story= car curently has 23,xxx miles only driven on the weekend and at track events, always 3k ams oil changes and never seen boost past 23psi. car always had a small tick in the head area near the fpr, well i installed a tomei arms turbo and kelford cams and since the cams the tick has become louder and louder well after finaly sorting out my tune i was doing some pulls and the bolt holding the 02 to the turbo came out and i got a bad exhaust leak, well since i had to pull the whole turbo to get to the bolt i figured i would pull the oil pan to check out the rod bearings as this was a sugestion as to what the problem could be, when i did i found a only few small metal flakes 1 in the pick up and 1 in the pan, well so far i only pulled the caps off the 2 l/r end rods and they looked almost brand new on the crank side, and the 2 center ones have no up and down play only a little side to side, seems normal? sooo, im thinking the crank is ok, whats the chances of a main bearing going bad?
ok so my main question is since i am alredy in there i think i want to just drop in a new set of rods pistons and bearings opinions? any done this? i might need to pay someone with experence with this to help me with the install, also want to do head studs and valve springs with everything apart.

Old May 6, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

mostley just looking for what parts work best for this and how long it lasted for you
Old May 7, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

bumpz also i saw in a thread that ttp has done this?
Old May 7, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would stick with the stock setup for now. No need to replace the pistons and rods, especially of the same size without doing a refresh on the block. Can it be done, yes of course. I would not do it though. Pull the entire shortblock assembly out of the car, get a machine shop to bore it out a little so you know everything is perfect. Get yourself a set of .02 over bored pistons and new rods if you want and start from scratch. Without someone taking a look at the cylinder walls, or getting them re honed you risk having problems with a new set of pistons and rods, the rings not seating correctly, and thus having to do the entire job over again. You can even have them check out the crank if you are worried, get the oil passages refined a little too. Get everything balanced and perfect. Waste of time and money to just drop rods and pistons out and put new ones right back in. Do it once, and do it right the first time.

Just my opinion. I know it can be done without removing the block. I am not certain as to the procedure to do it, and wouldn't do it even if I did.