Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD Fluid in the Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACD Fluid in the Transfer Case

I just got finished rebuilding my engine and just put everything back into the car. I was reading on the forums about bleeding the ACD after you have removed and reinstalled the transfercase. So I got the system to cycle and start bleeding the ACD Fluid but I forgot to loosen the bleeder screw. Is it possible for the ACD Fluid to dump into the Transfer Case (providing everything is ok inside the transfer case)? Im not sure if the Transfer Case just needs the seals replaced or what (it could have been a bad transfer case from before). Any suggesting are appreciated. Thanks, James
Old May 12, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there something wrong with how ACD is working now, or is this just a precautionary question?

I don't believe it can just "dump" in the transfer case because you are pressurizing the system without opening the bleeder screw. It works with a lot more pressure than what you get when you are just cycling the fluid. It can actually handle a lot more pressure than what the stock settings use.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:45 PM

I pulled the Transfer case out tonight and the seals were burnt up inside of it. The clutch packs were in rough shape as well. I am sure the car was towed with the rear wheels on the ground (I bought the car from an insurance auction). The ring and pinion looked fine so I think this will be relatively inexpensive. Does anyone know where to buy replacement parts? Do they even make replacement parts? ie clutch packs and a seal kit Thanks, James
Old May 12, 2010, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The same thing was to me, after accident somebody towed it only on rear whells and burned transfer( burned the clutch and all the seals inside) So I decide to change for the new one.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:32 PM

Is there any significant advantage to having the acd transfer case versus having a non acd transfer case? I am considering buying a non acd and selling my acd pump and lines to help pay for the crap.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There will be some handling differences, but most people who really track their car ditch the acd transfer cases over time. Too much can go wrong and essentially expensive to fix. I would just send it into sheep or tre for a rebuild, not expensive, easy, and you know it will work right the first time and last.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

When shep rebuilt by transfercase, he told me i was lucky to have the acd unit because the non-acd are rare and more expensive to fix.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:57 PM

Is there any way to re-use the t-case I have? Maybe by taking the clutch packs out and sealing up the unit were the gear oil is the only thing in it? Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, James King
Old May 18, 2010, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CooleyKing
Is there any way to re-use the t-case I have? Maybe by taking the clutch packs out and sealing up the unit were the gear oil is the only thing in it? Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, James King
Yes you can reuse it. There is NO WAY your gona take the clutch packs out and have it work with just fluid. Your best bet is to have it rebuilt.

Send it to shep and have him rebuild it and your basically never gona have to worry about it again. Or get a used one but my advice is to send it in and get it rebuilt. Good luck.