Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another Car won't start thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Car won't start thread

Okay guys. Really need some help here. Below are the mods and issue..

Evo 9 MR with 43k

Injen upper/lower intake
Invidia Catback
3 inch downpipe/stock cat
Stock manifold/turbo
Exedy TD HD
Blitz EBC
Greddy Turbo Timer

Now, I recently installed the exedy td, Ive had about maybe 500 miles on it and it does have a lot chatter when engaged. Now, I have been playing with the clutch adjustment day to day trying to get the best feel for it. Then the other day, i got some new shift cable bushings (inside and under) as well. So I install on Monday and everything goes smooth as would be and readjusted the clutch adjustment (now, its sit really high) but shifts perfectly, if not then, it grinds or doesnt allow me to shift.

Now Tuesday, driving it for about an 30 min or so, coming back home, and then on my way to work, the motor all of a sudden shuts off on the highway. I'm trying to start it and all I get are crank, crank, crank but nothing. 20 min later of trying to start it and looking under my hood, it finally starts and Im on my way to work.

Coming out of work, I get in and it starts up fine. Im thinking Im good. Well, about 3 min down the road, it dies again. This time, it cranks and starts on the 1st try but now, the motor is shaking really bad and it sounds like its running on 2 cylinders only. If I gas it, it dies. Well, I try to start it again, lots of cranking but no start. Well, I keep on trying and I get it start again, engage the clutch and it dies. Now Im out of ideas (No CEL yet). Well, I call a few guys and we push it back to my work.

Now, looking at it and wanting to torch it, we decided to start her again, and she starts but we are getting a foul smell out of the exhaust and it finally throws 2 codes, random misfire and iat. But nothing else and it dies.

Now, since its at my work and I have not towed it home yet (probably this wkd) Im having to work on it there. So Today, Im thinking maybe a bad MAF and fouled spark plugs. So I spray the MAF down with MAF cleaner and put in a new set of plugs. Now it doesnt even start or crank

I do hear the fuel priming so I know I have fuel but I dont think I have spark. Have yet to really check into that. Now, does anyone else have any ideas of what just happened.

Is it maybe a bad Crank angle sensor? Did I break some sensors while installing the bushings under the hood? (I did check and none seem broken or loose). Or was the clutch chattering so much that it cause things to go wrong? Also, I had to keep adjusting the damn clutch higher and higher each other day as it wouldnt let me go into gear the day before and now it sits pretty high. OR could it be the coil packs? MAF? Jumped timing?

Thanks for all the help and listening to me vent. I have not had any issues with the motor until now. She's always started right up with no idle issues.

Last edited by pennies_hatchie; Jul 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

help please
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:07 AM

Now it doesnt even turn over?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since it wont even crank? I'm thinking maybe bad gas? blown engine?, since it wont even crank? and engine was running really rough, so it was a sign right there, pull all spark plugs out, tell us what you see, if they are not smashed, or sign of any water, crank sensor might be a problem. also check your throttle body connector, if its pluged. You need to go thru everything you did before since the car was running fine, check plugs, etc, maybe you accidently pulled something out.

you can pm me with questions if you want.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Jul 29, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
Since it wont even crank? I'm thinking maybe bad gas? blown engine?, since it wont even crank? and engine was running really rough, so it was a sign right there, pull all spark plugs out, tell me what you see...
Car was running rich at the end there. I pulled the plugs and they are dark.

It just seem odd that it would be working fine with no issues and then the engine turns off. And now, it doesnt crank but when I try to start it the whole car seems like it has no battery power so that maybe the reason why it doesnt crank.

Blown engine? Hmm, I hope not.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

since spark plugs have build up on it true, you're running extremely rich, are they wet also? since you went thru spark plugs, check:

1) starter, 2) check your crank sensor (you can buy one from local auto parts store) 3) alternator, but your battery would be dead by than.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Jul 29, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tweakdsm
since spark plugs have build up on it true, you're running extremely rich, are they wet also? since you went thru spark plugs, check:

1) starter, 2) check your crank sensor (you can buy one from local auto parts store) 3) alternator, but your battery would be dead by than.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will give an update once I get it towed home and take a look. ALso, there are NO codes now. weird.

Last edited by pennies_hatchie; Jul 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

btw, if anyone has anymore ideas or advice, please post them
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=pennies_hatchie;8536780]Car was running rich at the end there. I pulled the plugs and they are dark.

It just seem odd that it would be working fine with no issues and then the engine turns off. And now, it doesnt crank but when I try to start it the whole car seems like it has no battery power so that maybe the reason why it doesnt crank.

Does the engine turn over? Before you were saying that it was cranking but not firing up, which is it?

You have been messing around with the clutch pedal. Make sure you did not mess up the saefty feature that will not allow you to crank the car if the clutch pedal is not in.

Check the the battery terminals and make sure they are not loose.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

mith: when you disconnect that connector...you can actuall start the car without pressing the clutch in
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:26 PM

OK charge your battery number one cause obviously you were trying to start it so much it went dead. Your car might of got flooded with gas, clean the spark plugs before you put them in burn the gas in the engine or crank it with the plugs out so the gas get pumped out and put it back together and try again. then you have to see why your running rich and getting flooded if that's the case
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pennies_hatchie
Okay guys. Really need some help here. Below are the mods and issue..

Evo 9 MR with 43k

Injen upper/lower intake
Invidia Catback
3 inch downpipe/stock cat
Stock manifold/turbo
Exedy TD HD
Blitz EBC
Greddy Turbo Timer

Now, I recently installed the exedy td, Ive had about maybe 500 miles on it and it does have a lot chatter when engaged. Now, I have been playing with the clutch adjustment day to day trying to get the best feel for it. Then the other day, i got some new shift cable bushings (inside and under) as well. So I install on Monday and everything goes smooth as would be and readjusted the clutch adjustment (now, its sit really high) but shifts perfectly, if not then, it grinds or doesnt allow me to shift.

Now Tuesday, driving it for about an 30 min or so, coming back home, and then on my way to work, the motor all of a sudden shuts off on the highway. I'm trying to start it and all I get are crank, crank, crank but nothing. 20 min later of trying to start it and looking under my hood, it finally starts and Im on my way to work.

Coming out of work, I get in and it starts up fine. Im thinking Im good. Well, about 3 min down the road, it dies again. This time, it cranks and starts on the 1st try but now, the motor is shaking really bad and it sounds like its running on 2 cylinders only. If I gas it, it dies. Well, I try to start it again, lots of cranking but no start. Well, I keep on trying and I get it start again, engage the clutch and it dies. Now Im out of ideas (No CEL yet). Well, I call a few guys and we push it back to my work.

Now, looking at it and wanting to torch it, we decided to start her again, and she starts but we are getting a foul smell out of the exhaust and it finally throws 2 codes, random misfire and iat. But nothing else and it dies.

Now, since its at my work and I have not towed it home yet (probably this wkd) Im having to work on it there. So Today, Im thinking maybe a bad MAF and fouled spark plugs. So I spray the MAF down with MAF cleaner and put in a new set of plugs. Now it doesnt even start or crank

I do hear the fuel priming so I know I have fuel but I dont think I have spark. Have yet to really check into that. Now, does anyone else have any ideas of what just happened.

Is it maybe a bad Crank angle sensor? Did I break some sensors while installing the bushings under the hood? (I did check and none seem broken or loose). Or was the clutch chattering so much that it cause things to go wrong? Also, I had to keep adjusting the damn clutch higher and higher each other day as it wouldnt let me go into gear the day before and now it sits pretty high. OR could it be the coil packs? MAF? Jumped timing?

Thanks for all the help and listening to me vent. I have not had any issues with the motor until now. She's always started right up with no idle issues.
hey bro it might be the crank sensor!....i got one for sale in perfect working condition..pm me for details.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... turbo timer wiring harness?
bad ignition switch?
My car, has a lot of miles, with a lot of starting. My ignition switch is "loose" and sometimes I have to jiggle the key to get my car to start. It's such a PITA to change ignition switches (dremel security bolts to remove, etc.) that I haven't gotten around to it.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

i feel you bro. my car was running fine and one day about 3 weeks ago it wouldn't idle on start up. just out of the blue. searched online and fingers pointed to iac valve. took the old one out and yup it was beat to crap. so after 300 bux later car is better again. as for your your problem i would charge the battery and go from there. maybe try and reset the ecu afterwards. good luck to ya man.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

The IAC code will not prevent the car from starting, just had a very bad idle. The bad misfire can prevent the car from starting. What im trying to say is that if you unplug two coils, your car might start up and if it does it will run like crap.

There are three things required for the car to start, spark, fuel and compression.

From the looks of the spark plugs looks like you are getting fuel but no spark. Check to see if the coils are firing..
IF the coils are firing you are good there then its going to be a sensor issue....

Quick Reply: Another Car won't start thread