Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shell Rotella T6 vs Mobil 1

Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 vs Mobil 1

Thinking about switching. Noticed that my local WalMart has it available. What are your thoughts? Please refrain from the "Mobil 1 is the $h!t" replies. Thanks.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Rotella T6 is a heavy-duty diesel fleet engine oil. The only Shell motor oil to even consider running in your Evo's engine would be Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. Granted, this stuff is hard to find(and expensive) but it is the factory fill in all of the latest Ferrari engines. Do a little searching online.

Last edited by sparky; Jul 29, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

It is the same brand, but I would bet its not the same formula at all. It is just like the mobile 1 for Mercedes Benz, you can buy the 10w40 ESP at the store, but its NOT the same formula as what comes out of the hand pumps at the service dept of the dealer. I would bet Ferrari, bmw, and other high end car makers are like this as well. So if you are looking for Helix just because it goes in Ferraris, then actually get some from the actual overhead pumps at the dealership.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
How much is Walmart sell Mobil 1 for?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've gotten the big jugs for like $23 before at walmart, not a bad price considering the dealership will charge you $50 for the same amount of oil if you dare go there.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
It was down to 20 at one point at Walmart for the standard M1.

I use the EP (Gold Cap) and it's 28
Old Jul 30, 2010, 04:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
how many "types" of mobil 1 are there now anyways?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
It is the same brand, but I would bet its not the same formula at all. It is just like the mobile 1 for Mercedes Benz, you can buy the 10w40 ESP at the store, but its NOT the same formula as what comes out of the hand pumps at the service dept of the dealer. I would bet Ferrari, bmw, and other high end car makers are like this as well. So if you are looking for Helix just because it goes in Ferraris, then actually get some from the actual overhead pumps at the dealership.
Actually, I shouldn't have recomended the stuff. After posting I did a little research and discovered that Helix Ultra is not even a true synthetic, but rather a cracked conventional oil. Sorry! It is only a category three oil. So, I wonder why Ferrari supposedly uses the stuff? I guess in this case that it is just a marketing strategy to use the prancing horse logo

Last edited by sparky; Jul 31, 2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Sparky ! I think this oil debate is way over rated. I used to race with a Chevron executive from Norcal. Long story short he and I were running some expensive cars and he had done all sorts of testing with the engine builder and engineers from Chevron. In the end all of the oils we tested did what they needed to - Mobil 1, Texaco, Valvoline, and Kendall GT. What we ran usually was connected to the company with the best / biggest marketing budget .

I am sure I'll get flamed by some oil sales person or somebody that 'knows more', but I doubt any brand of oil could be blamed for an evo motor failure. I run Mobil 1 because it is recommended by Mitsubishi and easy to find. If I could get Amsoil easily, I would probably run that as well. In the end I doubt it really makes a difference when my motor will need to be built....
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
and thats the issues with brands like these , like you stated the manufacturer of oil is not giving the customer the good flavor stuff thats sold on the shelf.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Actually, I shouldn't have recomended the stuff. After posting I did a little research and discovered that Helix is not even a true synthetic, but rather a cracked conventional oil. Sorry! It is only a category three oil. So, I wonder why Ferrari supposedly uses the stuff?
They dont its basically a marketting hype for Shell,,,,, you know like Mobil paying Mitsubishi to place their logo on the oil cap of every Evo engine,,, well thats exactly what Shell has done with Ferrari.

if you know a little about the darn to expensive Ferrari you will learn that they had an issue with the Helix oil we are talking here which is a conventional oil non synthetic and horible for turbocharged vehicles,,, Ferrrari then opted for a 10W60 weight,, but many folks running the 5W40
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mobil 1 and Valvoline used in ALMS (pro racing) is 100% identical to the oil you buy at the store. I can't comment on other brands but doubt if it is different.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
They dont its basically a marketting hype for Shell,,,,, you know like Mobil paying Mitsubishi to place their logo on the oil cap of every Evo engine,,, well thats exactly what Shell has done with Ferrari.

if you know a little about the darn to expensive Ferrari you will learn that they had an issue with the Helix oil we are talking here which is a conventional oil non synthetic and horible for turbocharged vehicles,,,
This is good info...Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

aPagan: Isn't the Shell Rotella which the OP is asking about a conventional, non-synthetic oil designed for low RPM diesel engines, and as such not suitable for use in an Evo engine? I wouldn't run this stuff in my car. What is your view on the OP's choice?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01

if you know a little about the darn to expensive Ferrari you will learn that they had an issue with the Helix oil we are talking here which is a conventional oil non synthetic and horible for turbocharged vehicles,,, Ferrrari then opted for a 10W60 weight,, but many folks running the 5W40
The last few years Benz has been having issues with the Mobile 1 as well. At the dealership we kept getting updated versions of the mobile 1 formula because something in it kept killing oil level senders. This was all internal stuff, not something that was to be known to the public. Im not sure if they got their formula sorted out, but oil level senders seem to be getting replaced less and less now. That alone strayed me away from any mobile 1 products in my evo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shell Rotella T6 vs Mobil 1