Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Head gasket/bolt ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head gasket/bolt ?

I had to replace my valves due to a problem, but my question is can I reuse my head gasket and head studs. The head gasket was replaced 8k ago along with the head studs which are ARP. I know your supposed to after every time you remove the head, but i dont really want to have to spend another 150 on top of the 500 I just spent. But i will if i have to.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can re use the studs for sure, but as for the gasket, it is really up to you. The first seal on a gasket is the best, once you crack it, you never know if it will hold the same again. Is it possible for you re use it? Yes, of course. Just take a look at it to make sure it is holding up and there are no signs of coolant or oil leaks. I would replace it just in case, but that is just me. I would really kick myself if I put it all back together and in a few thousand miles it started leaking on me.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah you are right on that. I really dont want to rip this car down again. Plus its getting tuned right after I get it back together. I was a little more worried about the head bolts bc I can probably get the gasket through work cheaper. Thanks for the input