Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD Lights On

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ACD Lights On

Alright, so before anyone says anything lol. I did search and found some info on what to do when the ACD lights are on. I'm gonna plan a trip to the dealership next week or so to have them pull the code if I cant figure out the problem. I have a Evo IX MR with 31,800 miles and the issue started on Sunday. It was not my daily driver but considering my daily driver was totaled on Saturday because someone supposedly stole my neighbors car and crashed it into my car which was parked in front of my house and neither my insurance nor his will be covering it, I'm out of a car lol.

I was going out to dinner with my fiancee when I noticed that the ACD lights came on. I took a look at it once I got home and noticed that the fluid was low so when I got home from work on Monday, I went to the dealership and picked up some fluid. I filled it back up to the max line and figured it would be good to go. So I take it out for a drive, and its fine for about 10-15 miles and then the lights go back on. I checked the fluid level once again and now this time, it was above the max line by roughly the amount of fluid I added. I ended up sucking out of the extra fluid on Tuesday with a baster and the fluid level returned to the max mark. I didn't bother driving the car anymore until today when I decided to bleed the ACD system. So, I began bleeding the ACD system and I noticed that there seemed to be a little air in the system. I believe I got all the air out and then I took it for a drive once again. I drove it for 40 miles and I the ACD lights didn't go on but then I went to the gas station to fill up and roughly 5 miles later, the lights come back on. I went home and checked the fluid level again but it was just at the max line as if the pump wasn't using any. Now it leaves me at the problem that I'm at now.

I'm going to try to re bleed the system once again this weekend just to be certain that there is no air at all. I haven't noticed any strange drivetrain noises and I believe the pump is working considering you can hear it pump for about 15+ seconds at a time (it stops soon after on its own and the 3 acd lights light up. I'm assuming that's normal?....) and when I was bleeding the system, fluid was coming from the bleeder nipple but at the same time, seeing the fluid level at max after driving was an unusual thing. Does anyone have a list of the ACD check lights and what they mean? Is there a possibility that there's a sensor or some type of relay that went bad? If nothing happens after I bleed the system for a second time, it will definitely be going to the dealership. If anyone has any insight or has had a similar issue, please let me know. Any info would be great.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:25 PM

Mine does this randomly as well. It is only when it is extremely hot outside when it happens though. Goodluck!
Old Sep 2, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, that could be it as well. It has been pretty hot here since the issue started.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ most people are clueless about ACD problems. There is alot of info on the subject but its all the same and not much help in the end. Your dealer is your best bet to find the problem.

I read ALOT on the subject but people always end up replacing the pump under warranty without finding the problem thus not helping at all.. The ACD pump is considered a mythical part.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karass
^^ most people are clueless about ACD problems. There is alot of info on the subject but its all the same and not much help in the end. Your dealer is your best bet to find the problem.

I read ALOT on the subject but people always end up replacing the pump under warranty without finding the problem thus not helping at all.. The ACD pump is considered a mythical part.
Honestly aside from going to the dealer I rather take my car to a shop for people who know what they are doing. Some dealerships are just nasty especially since times are hard.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

It seems like my ACD system is possessed lol. Its fine now and once again the ACD reservoir was overfilled so I removed the extra fluid and it runs fine and the ACD fluid goes down as it should when I drive. I just hope the pump isn't on its way out or anything but I don't think it is.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

any other lights?

my Anti Lock light was on, which caused all 3 acd lights to come on.

turned out i had a break one one of the ABS wires.

thats about all i can help with man. good luck
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, no other lights came on.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

What's the warranty on the pump? Standard 3 years 36k miles? In another thread someone mentioned 65k miles...does this sound right? My 9 will have basic mods done will the dealer ship give me crap if I claim it under warranty? My car now has 49k miles...acd is a weird part for sure
Old Sep 8, 2010, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did any of the lines or anything get bent when u got hit?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

The fluid typically goes down when driving the car. Don't be alarmed, that is normal. Check it when the car is off and cold. Have you pulled a code yet to see what is causing the three lights? Jumper pin 4 to ground on the OBD port and count the flashes. Slow ones are for the first number, fast are for the second. This can help you pinpoint the issue. Worse case it's a bad pump.

*edit*, the manual references the numbers. PM if you need any help.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Karass

I wouldn't say it's mythical. It's just connected to A LOT of sensors on the car, and it runs diagnostics on every start up to make sure it sees all of those sensors. If one thing is off, you get the three lights. Pulling the codes makes diagnosing the problem pretty easy. Sensors are easy to fix, the pumps themselves however, are junk. And being that they retail for almost $2k, that is a serious problem and a solution is needed for sure.

For the people that have issues in hot weather only, it's most likely the pump. The fluid thins and the pressure isn't met, so it throws the lights. Mine worked great in winter months, but come Spring, the light came on. Thicker fluid will temporarily solve the issue, but some are reluctant to do that because it only compounds the problem and causes even more stress on the pump.