Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help:ignition troubles?

Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help:ignition troubles?

i need some help with the last part of this install. pretty much at the finish line. but like alot of other things, gotta throw one more hurdle at me. haha anyways!
heres what happened so far....
i recently bought a 64 from slowboy and just got done installing it and checking everything and tried starting it. it would fire at first but not turn over. so i looked it over and checked compression and fuel but got a very weak spark. i thought the culprit at first would be the coils. and bought new ones. after installing those still no results. next thing i checked would be timing, which i discovered was off a little (got confused with the whole adjustable cam thing) and tried starting it again but this time it wouldnt even crank and sounded like the starter was having a hard time turning. when i looked again under the hood and found the ground wire connected to the cam position sensor on the ignition harness i believe melted off. cutting and splicing in a new wire, hoping that what is it tried yet again to start it and still no results. i checked the ground wire again and it was really hot and sort of peeling again. i read up a bit more and learned that a heated wire usually comes with resistance in the wire. i figured it grounded out and did a search on those symptoms and someone on heres harness caught on fire and replaced the entire harness but never stated what exactly the problem was. my thoughts so far are maybe to switch to a larger gauge wire only cause its a ground. makes sense to me but i could be completly wrong. and reallly dont want to change out the harness if i dont have too. this whole project i've done myself and like to learn along the way but im at my wits end... and really dont want to take it to the shop.
if you read this whole thing so far i hope you can help me out.

the whole setup and what ive done so far is....
4g64 with a lightly ported head w/ 272s
a full race 35rbb with buschur intake
nisei uicp (battery relocated to the trunk)
spoolinup coils

i think that pretty much covers it. pics below..
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&ref=fbx_album
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&ref=fbx_album

and the thread i mentioned earlier
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fire-help.html

thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:53 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe the lack of a ground fried the cam sensor? See if a friend will let you put his on!

A larger ground won't be necessary. The heat from the exhaust mani likely did the wire in. If it were a load based issue a larger ground wouldn't solve the issue. Check the other wires as well, even inside the sheath. May have more broken/marred wires.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:16 AM

unfortunetly dont have too many evo guys i know of on island to do that... but i completly stripped the harness down bare and found this wire to be the only one fried(thank god it didnt melt the others!). guess i gotta source one out..
and btw your coils are pretty neat! cant wait to try them out! thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:21 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pinoy_gm808
unfortunetly dont have too many evo guys i know of on island to do that... but i completly stripped the harness down bare and found this wire to be the only one fried(thank god it didnt melt the others!). guess i gotta source one out..
and btw your coils are pretty neat! cant wait to try them out! thanks!
Oh didn't see you had my COP. Thanks!

The aren't super expensive and always handy to have around. They are real easy to break.

I believe 2Gb (97-99) turbo DSMs use the same cam sensor if that helps.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:49 AM

i ll look into that, thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:00 PM

well if anyone was curious to what the problem was. it was a bad ground. soooo the car now turns properly. but still wont start... i recently did a dry compression test and read 160 across the board and have fuel. only think left is the ignition. i just changed the crank angle sensor and re timed it. does anyone have any ideas why my car wont start????
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

check the ignition fuse, it is a 10 amp fuse in spot #1, which is the upper left corner of fuse box. the fuse box is located behind the drivers kick-panel (directly behind coin holder on VIII & dimmer switch on IX's, next to hood release)
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:21 AM

i checked the fuse and its still good unfortunetly... but it got me thinking and did a spark test and got nothing. i cant think of anything i havnt checked already. thanks for the recommendation though.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 05:03 PM

any ideas???
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

check for any CEL/MIL's w scantool
ground strap from intake manifold to firewall
fuse box underhood
use multimeter & check for power @ coil, if powered, swap coils w known good ones
Old Oct 6, 2010, 04:55 AM

now that i think about it.... i don't think i saw the ground strap on when i placed the motor back in.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
id say since ur gettin weak spark, may sound stupid but disconnect the connectors for the ignition spray some electrical connector cleaner on the inside, reconnect them....uve already started takin the basic steps, somethin simple like a weak connection can cause it, battery is holding a charge???
Old Oct 6, 2010, 06:49 PM

yeah its a brand new optima mini. ill try that with all the connections. it might be the case cause it was sitting for awhile. ill post if it works or not, thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 09:29 AM

i havnt had a chance to work on my evo in awhile cause of work, but i did do a little research and found alot of cars have ground straps. im pretty sure i never installed one on my car and wonder if that could be the culprit? got another day before i can settle down and work on it again and hoping this is it...
Old Oct 8, 2010, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check and see if the coils are properly plugged in and grounded?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help:ignition troubles?