Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is causing this camel hump (dyno)?

Old Oct 9, 2010, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
What is causing this camel hump (dyno)?

anyone got any ideas on what is making this camel hump at upper rpms? (strange because green and red lines are within 60 seconds of each other, green taken first - but red and blue almost 2 months apart)

blue and green logs were taking within a minute of each other (literally 60 seconds, and the green one was taken first) - very strange.. any ideas?

NEW LOG

Seems to me like more of the same. very strange boost reading from evoscan. i might have a boost leak maybe; my boost peaks very slightly around 3800 at a little over 25, which i took to be normal of MBCs; and immediately after it starts tapering down until redline

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 10, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 09:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the v.d you have to play with the smoothing factor to adjust that out also note whp will drop spikes and humps add false whp.Try setting it to 6 smoothing!!
Old Oct 9, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by toysgetsmoked
On the v.d you have to play with the smoothing factor to adjust that out also note whp will drop spikes and humps add false whp.Try setting it to 6 smoothing!!
ah thanks - its still different by more than 25whp but im sure on a real dyno that's probably going to be fairly minimal? i just wanna make sure im not like misfiring or something
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did u log boost, or knock? Could be u need to dial in the boost in that area, or maybe u knocked, and it pulled timing...
by the looks of it, u need to dial in the tune a lil better... Do u have corrections enabled? Looks like its trying to correct all over the place. post up a log...

Looks like u have one hell of a boost spike there buddy!
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
did u log boost, or knock? Could be u need to dial in the boost in that area, or maybe u knocked, and it pulled timing...
by the looks of it, u need to dial in the tune a lil better... Do u have corrections enabled? Looks like its trying to correct all over the place. post up a log...

Looks like u have one hell of a boost spike there buddy!
yea it is peaking a little right before it settles, turned that down a bit. its weird that things change when its within 60 seconds apart from each other.

i didnt log any knock though. afr remained pretty much 'normal'. i wasnt ever logged with a wideband though.. but even so the afrs arent bad. how can i tell if i pulled timing? i only have a mbc so i dont know if i can adjust boost like that.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
yea it is peaking a little right before it settles, turned that down a bit. its weird that things change when its within 60 seconds apart from each other.

i didnt log any knock though. afr remained pretty much 'normal'. i wasnt ever logged with a wideband though.. but even so the afrs arent bad. how can i tell if i pulled timing? i only have a mbc so i dont know if i can adjust boost like that.
Look back at your log for an rpm or load spike. Also I am sure that you know, but make sure to use the same street of road going the same direction. A log might help.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's the clutch in that bad boy? Do a 5th gear pull at peak torque and report back.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Since they were 'back to back', I'm guessing you are started to heat your FMIC (heat soak) and timing was being pulled...Just post raw data logs and we'll be able to provide more valuable insight .
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

clutch is brand new (within 6 months i'd say? an exedy twin) - i would agree about the roads thing but the red and blue lines were 2 months apart, on different roads.

how can i post both logs? i will be getting retuned soon, maybe i should just forget about this until after?

ps, thanks for all the help all

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 10, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

bump for new pics
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

starting to think it may be a boost issue
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

bump!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Could just be a tuning issue or virtual dyno issue. Go to a real dyno and make some pulls.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Could just be a tuning issue or virtual dyno issue. Go to a real dyno and make some pulls.
possible. i may go to ams and have them check for boost leaks and compression test too
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My dyno graphs were looking the exact same way for a while and it turned out to be a couple of different things. One of the problems was that I did have a small boost leak, however my graphs were still looking like that even after I fixed it. The real problem ended up being the boost tables in my tune. I thought I had them dialed in but apparently they needed more fine tuning. Keep in mind that I'm using ECU controlled boost with a modified stock boost solenoid so I'm not sure how much those tables affect an MBC. I'm sort of a newb in that area cuz I've only been tuning my car for a few months now and ECU controlled boost is all I've ever had. So based on what little I know I'm thinking there could still be an issue in your tune that's causing the problem. Could also be your clutch like someone else suggested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is causing this camel hump (dyno)?