Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Possible spun rod bearing. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible spun rod bearing. Any thoughts?

Long story short, I hit a solid piece of concrete that used to be where a basketball goal was when parking in a friend of mine's front lawn yesterday and now the car has a weird knocking noise. I've read on here in the past to detect a spun rod bearing:

1. set the parking brake and start the car
2. rev up to the rpm's where you hear the "knock" (in my case, between 2500k and 3000k) and hold it at that rpm range
3. engage clutch, go into 1st and let out slowly until the car nearly stalls
4. if noise disappears, it's considered a spun rod bearing and if not, it's something else

Even when I drive it, the noise is only apparent when slowing down or downshifting. Well, the noise never disappeared after doing the test, but when i put the car on jack stands, the only noticeable thing is the underbar that's closest to the front of the car's right side bolt has the dust from where i hit the concrete. Everything else appears to be fine. Can it be a possible exhaust leak? I'm kind of new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by kidkayos; Oct 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:21 AM

drop the oil see if you have any metal shavings i highly doubt you can spin a bearing from hitting something
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where did it get hit? The oil pan?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by asrdave
drop the oil see if you have any metal shavings i highly doubt you can spin a bearing from hitting something
Gonna have to, and i just changed that oil too lol thanks

C130flyer, that's what I thought I originally hit, but the oil pan's fine. Not a graze on it at all. Got lucky on that part. It's just one hell of an annoying sound.

Last edited by kidkayos; Oct 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
lol... does the knock get faster as you rev up? does it sound like your motor has bb's bouncing in it? does it sound like its coming from the head? if not its not rod knock.. the only way you can cause rod knock from bottoming out your car is if you puncture the oil pan and drain all your fluid and drive with no oil.. probably something very stupid you broke.. be thankful its not a spun bearing they are not fun to replace and very expensive since you have to change everything oil hits.

explain how you hit the concrete piece and how far back did it hit? you might of damaged the drivetrain somehow.

Last edited by tscompusa2; Oct 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:04 PM

Knock doesn't get faster at all. However at the rpm range described is the only time I hear it. Even when the car's sitting still. I ran straight over it at about maybe 7mph. But the only way you can tell I even hit it is by looking at the right bolt of the underbar that's closest to the oil filter because it's has concrete dust all over it. That's why I thought it was the oil pan.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get the car jacked and have someone rev it while you are under it so that you could hear where exactly it is coming from. i doubt is a spun bearing.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:13 PM

Now that i've gotten some sleep since I worked graveyard shift last night, after looking at it again, I noticed the underbar is touching the exhaust which is nearly dead on exactly where I hit that concrete. Possibility? Oil's fine. No shavings.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the exhaust is just rattling on the underbar.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kidkayos
Knock doesn't get faster at all. However at the rpm range described is the only time I hear it. Even when the car's sitting still. I ran straight over it at about maybe 7mph. But the only way you can tell I even hit it is by looking at the right bolt of the underbar that's closest to the oil filter because it's has concrete dust all over it. That's why I thought it was the oil pan.
is it a tin noise or a blunt force noise? if you had rod knock it would sound HORRIBLE at ANY RPM. Dont ask me how I know

Sounds like you pushed the exhaust pipe up against the heat shield above it and now its making a horrible tin noise. Or you could have wacked the driveshaft depending on the angle and loosened something up. Either way its an easy fix so dont panic to much.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BenJ
Sounds like the exhaust is just rattling on the underbar.
or this to ya. might have bent one of the underbars up and now its hitting the exhaust.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:30 PM

It's a tin noise. I think it's the underbar personally because it is bent up. Im trying to put a pic up now.

Last edited by kidkayos; Oct 12, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:46 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

First pic shows the general area. Second pic shows exactly where I hit the underbar.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

unbolt the bar and see if it still does it.. if so its the shield around your cat.. that def looks like it would rattle.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:58 PM

You guys were right. No noise. And I didnt even take the bar completely off. Just the bolt that I hit. I noticed the bolt's snapped.