Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Force-Fed tests the HKS 7460 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Force-Fed tests the HKS 7460 Turbo

We got the chance to test the new HKS 7460 Ball bearing turbo today on a customers evo at a event we were holding. We initially tuned the customers car with a 20g upgraded turbo on Michaels evo only to find out the turbo had pretty much bitten the dust. I then got to talking to him about what he wanted to do with the car and his plans to rebuild the old turbo. After i brought up the info about the HKS turbo the customer was very excited to get it and give it a shot. Being that he does alot of auto-x and street driving it fits the bill just perfect. While we didnt install the turbo for the customer it is packaged very nicely and looks completely OEM to the un-trained eye in the engine bay. Getting this bad boy on the dyno was very exciting and we had no idea what to really expect as the Mustang dyno here is known for hurting some feelings. We didnt get to crazy on the tune since the customer dailys this thing and needed a good safe tune but we were VERY impressed with the abilities of this turbo as it spools and hits really hard and fast. I would love for this thing to get tuned on some E85 and more boost to see what it can really do.

on to the results

Mods
intake
ported ex mani
ported in mani
built 2.0(not sure of internals it was built by the customer)
kelford 272 with supertech duals
FIC 1680 high impedence injectors
walbro pump
APS dual vent
LICP(looked like AMS)
TBE
Hallman MBC

Results hitting 31psi holding 26 at redline
You can hear in the video how hard and fast this turbo comes on and surprisingly how well it keeps the power going all the way thru the powerband
This is a good alternative to guys looking into a more reliable stock frame solution than the others on the market....time will tell..

*NOTE*
This is not the graph for the car during the video, i did not take a picture after the final video was taken. This is the graph to the car's pull prior to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBHDMFNrMKY

Last edited by Force-Fed Performance; Nov 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:14 PM

i guess i left to early..
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor

yep lol.... you missed the force-fed tuned DSM also...made 700hp then blew the rad cap off and popped a hole in the radiator so we are putting a band-aid on it to race tomorrow
Old Nov 7, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what gas was this on ?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice job Force-Fed....and sh*t that thing hits boost quick...I'm sure the customer is pretty happy with the car...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:50 AM

ball bearing is undestructible and spools nice. perfect track day turbo!!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by getsideways
what gas was this on ?
straight 93oct

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Nice job Force-Fed....and sh*t that thing hits boost quick...I'm sure the customer is pretty happy with the car...
yes it hits very very hard BJ. I think you need to find someone locally to ride with to see this thing it will interest you a whole lot man lol.
He has a problem with his clutch pedal or something he is fixing and then we are going to start talking about doing some E85 and playing with the WG actuator
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Force-Fed Performance
yes it hits very very hard BJ. I think you need to find someone locally to ride with to see this thing it will interest you a whole lot man lol.
He has a problem with his clutch pedal or something he is fixing and then we are going to start talking about doing some E85 and playing with the WG actuator
Yeah, from what I have read the actuators on those turbos are a little bit of a pita...I think you can swap it out for a Forge or FP actuator...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

yea its nothing bad about it. just adjusts a lil diff than all the others. im sure it will be fine but we didnt get the chance to take the turbo out of the box and set it up for the customer.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

This turbo is straight up sex. It's a shame the AEM Tru-Boost and the WG need to be tweaked to get more out of her, but even just bolting it in and setting the AEM's SCr to 18 gave impressive results. (WG pressure seems to be 20, after driving home on pure WG pressure because I had the lines backwards) As noted in the OP, we used a Halman MBC for ease of tune/dyno. I will obviously need to tweak the hell out of the AEM Tru-Boost to get things back to where I want/where they should be.

On the way home (ForceFed is a good 2.5 hours out), I stopped to get a shake at a fast food place for the boy (he was so good at the meet)... Left the place and the clutch hit the floor and I couldn't go anywhere! Pop the hood and sure enough there's fluid near the slave cyl on the trans. Som*****. Adv Auto Parts has one here about 25min away from me, I'll be picking it up once the wife gets off work. Soon as I grab that I'll be pulling that heat shield so I can get access to the WG, and then I'll be out to see if I cannot get the car to hold it's boost better.

Even still. The max boost is hit before you can even think about shifting. The slap of this thing is absolutely incredible. There is, no joke, little to no lag. I wish I had gotten a video of it when he went through the gears alittle on the rollers. Very impressive! I am also a HUGE fan of the torque/power being level with eachother - rather than most builds I see where the torque is typically 30+ less than the horsepower.

And I'm a big fan of how stock it looks. Total sleeper. I can't wait to hit the AutoX this Sunday!

Last edited by MikSchultzy; Nov 7, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

glad you are happy Michael
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I'll have to come out once I get this AEM EBC/Wastegate worked out alittle more so we can go into kill mode. I wouldn't be surprised to see 450 out of it with some time and aggression. Absolutely NO knock and fat AFR at this power makes me believe she's got alot more head room in her to go. Granted, this is more than enough for AutoX.

And I'll start seeing where the E85 is around here. There has GOT to be a station closer than an hours away from me!
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor

yea we are paying off gov officials for ours now lol
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Force-Fed Performance
yea we are paying off gov officials for ours now lol
best part is i don't think your joking at all...haha...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

350 lb/ft to the wheels at 3,800 RPM's has to be FUN! I'm sure it'll only get better with more boost and E85.

Looks like it's the fattest powerband possible for a 450HP turbo.

Quick Reply: Force-Fed tests the HKS 7460 Turbo