Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Random knocking problem...for 2 years :(

Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random knocking problem...for 2 years :(

Ive had an ongoing RANDOM knocking problem for a while now. it started in 2008 before i got my cams and o2 dump installed. I got all that stuff installed and go t a tune thinking maybe it was a bad tune. Still knocked. after countless tested i ruled out that it was phantom knock and tuned the sensors so that it didnt show the knock anymore.

Fast forward to recently i decided to put the sensor back to stock levels and figure out whats actually causing the knock. and i still can figure it out. Im looking for some advice from the experts.

Mods to car:
Kelford 272s (stock springs)
full exhaust no cat
o2 dump
licp
one step colder plugs
stock turbo at 26.5 psi spike to a 20psi taper
intake with amsoil filter
and some other random no power mods.

Compression (on kelford cams)
cyl 1 132
cyl 2 141
cyl 3 141
cyl 4 141

Compression test done in 2008 with stock cams
cyl 1 140ish
and the rest were 160ish

On some 3rd gear runs it will knock 3 to 4 counts and step down to zero counts.
some 3rd gear runs i wont get knock at all
part throttle cruising on and off the gas ill get 3 or 4 counts of knock randomly up to 6 counts part throttle part boost and around 100load

I have had tscompusa adjusting my tune (he has been VERY helpful and extremely responsive)
The timing has been adjusted to the point that there should be no knock and it still randomly knocked
fuel has been bought at different stations to eliminate bad fuel
boost lowered and still knocked

I dont burn much oil and i dont seem to consume coolant. When i first started having this problem i got my oil analyzed and it came up with no issues..

the only thing that seems to lower the knock count...but didnt make it go away completely... was 100oct unleaded gas.

My question is what would cause a random knock that seems to not be phantom knock?
Could it be a burnt valve? lifted head?

I plan on doing a leak down test this friday since i have off from would. Im guessing this would eliminate some potential issues.

If something shows up strange i may just pull my head and check everything out. I have to do springs and retainers in my car anyways so i might as well pull the head and see what the valves and pistons look like correct?

Any help would be great!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
Account Disabled

usually all 4g63's and evos tend to get knock on part ,and half throttle pulls ..Sometimes it;s the way your get in the pedal and release it..The road at those p.t to h.t pulls will pick up lots of road noise and valve sounds causing the knock light to blink or when logging .If the knock is constant and keep s doing it pull ofter pull then you have a issue.

I wouldn't take the head off for a spring upgrade ivey does them with the head on and would be pointless to do so..The problem you have is that the kelfords will do this with stock springs I was having the same issue with my gsc 2 cams installed spring and retainers problem was solved ..My car was seeing knock anything past 8* of * now I can go up to 14* again with ease..

The motor seems healthy from the compression test When cams are installed the compression drops a bit but the motor seems goo a leak would be a great idea to add in the picture for clear mind..
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have heard about a lot of phantom knock issues with kelford cams from a few reputable sources.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

The problem is it was knocking before i had the cams though....although there was a huge boost leak at the same time.. So im wondering if it was knocking bc of the boost leak..then the boost leak was fixed at the same time the cams were installed and now its phantom knocking because of the cams. The other strange thing is that it seems to reduce knock when i added the 100oct gas to an empty tank... Maybe i just didnt get to drive around enough with it since i only had 4 gallons..
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked to see how tight the knock sensor is or replace it. Some of them are just overly sensitive.

-Em
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

I know its not loose but i havent replaced it...i have a spare sensor but its such a pain to get to and to torque properly i havent taken the time to do it yet...
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xexitenglishx
Compression (on kelford cams)
cyl 1 132
cyl 2 141
cyl 3 141
cyl 4 141
Do you have an VIII or IX? My IX with GSC S2's compression tested at 133, 141, 141, and 141 last week, so that looks good if you have a IX, but definitely low for an VIII. What are the temps and humidity like when you do get knock compared to when you don't? If you do back to back runs, do the knock counts increase in the later runs? Otherwise, I don't really have much input on why the knock is random like that.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

It's an ix temp and humidity have no effect and back to back logs are still erratic with the knock unfortunately
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

my dump tube was heating up and hitting the LICP at one point and causing issues. I later went to a different turbo kit and when the dump tube wasn't positioned quite right it, when it would open up it would vibrate against the hotside and cause random knock at different points depending on where the pull was started and what throttle position for part throttle pulls. Check your clearance between your down pipe and t-case as well as the lower tie bars and check where your dump tube is and if anything is close.

Josh
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
Have you checked to see how tight the knock sensor is or replace it. Some of them are just overly sensitive.

-Em
Originally Posted by xexitenglishx
I know its not loose but i havent replaced it...i have a spare sensor but its such a pain to get to and to torque properly i havent taken the time to do it yet...

I'd start here, esp if you already have the part.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
why this thread was made is beyond me, because im helping him. the car was knocking on 100octane also not even WOT.. the car knocks off and on. one time he fills up with 93oct does 5-6 pulls zero knock, then a pull later he gets knock. car has lots of phantom knock

he has stock valve train with kelfords. kelfords are extremely noisey cams, i was maxing my knock sensor out just reving in neutral with my 2.3L.

im going to try a few more things yet before i increase the knock multipliers.. that is a last resort, even though it was still knocking with 100octane.

he also sea foamed his car and drove on the same oil for a long time afterwards also, which i know is not good to do.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

I did the leak down test and here are the results

cyl 1 8.5% leak
cyl 2 2% leak
cyl 3 4% leak
cyl 4 2% leak

The one with the most leak is also the one with the lowest compression...looks like the engine is pretty healthy..but still says it knocks
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty basic, but have you checked your plug gaps? You may want to try experimenting with a smaller gap and see if it has any affect.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
his gaps fine im pretty sure. were testing timing before we alter the knock filters any further. this car had a lot of issues from every tuner he has taken it to. hopefully we can alleviate the issues once and for all.

its definitely not all real knock, but i dont like going and filtering out the sensor without 110% confirmation. we have been working on fighting the knock for atleast 10 hrs in total spread across weeks. ill have him update the thread after we come to a conclusion what to do.

for now im sweeping the hell out of the maps to see if we can get rid of it before we do any further knock sensor filtering.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well with a big percent leak difference and compression difference....theres a chance it could be somethin internal in the engine going on. now one trick i use with a compression test to see if its ring related is a small amount of oil in the low cylinder and crank again with the compression test and if it goes up a LOT then its your gettin pressure around the cylinder rings...i dont wanna come off as a dick but it looks possible a rebuild might be in your future... your car shouldnt knock especially if you put in 100 octane gas...but what do i know...good luck and report back what u find out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Random knocking problem...for 2 years :(