Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes I used Amsoil Z-Rod. Because this oil has a higher amount of ZDDP, Amsoil recommends to change it out every 3,000 miles. I'm not one to take chances on the lifeblood of my engine so I heeded their advice. Well, it turns out I can go longer than 3,000 miles. I'll submit another sample at the 6,000 mile mark and post my results.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 03:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Klaiceps
Yes I used Amsoil Z-Rod. Because this oil has a higher amount of ZDDP, Amsoil recommends to change it out every 3,000 miles. I'm not one to take chances on the lifeblood of my engine so I heeded their advice. Well, it turns out I can go longer than 3,000 miles. I'll submit another sample at the 6,000 mile mark and post my results.
Wow, talk about overkill. They are nuts. LOL

As for the rest of this thread,
I've seen Evos running hard on OEM-spec Mobil 1 with no issues.
I've also seen results after 7500mi on an oil change (multiple oils) with no problems.

Someone mentioned in this or another thread that we're probably overthinking things. I agree. Oil is oil. "Better" is an opinion and relative term. We don't always need "Better". The key word is "need". I change often (four times per year while my car mostly sees track use + the commute there and back, along with 6-8 autox sessions) because it makes feel warm and fuzzy, but I know I'm wasting oil and money. When I see people using expensive oils and changing at early intervals, i cringe. But who cares? It's or money and we can do as we please. 😀

Then again, I'm one of those guys who claims rotors don't warp, wheel spacers are fine on a race car, and I don't need 500whp to have a fast car. My opinions are not very popular. LOL
Old Jan 5, 2016, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
LOL. Nothing wrong with going against the grain. Just don't hurt anyone in the process.

Oil is another one of those gray areas due to the amount of factors that affect the oil's ability to perform (ie track car vs street, highway vs stop and go, mods on car, fuel used, etc. etc.). I've just been a fan of Amsoil due to the fact I was able to go 15k+ miles on it with my old Civic. There is no perfect oil. You just need to pick the right oil for your application and budget. With today's high quality of the bigger oil brands out there, I'm sure they are all within a splitting hair's difference in terms of performance between each of them.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 04:06 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
With today's high quality of the bigger oil brands out there, I'm sure they are all within a splitting hair's difference in terms of performance between each of them.
that sums it up nicely.

i've run Rotella T6 in all my turbo cars. so far so good

even my Civic gets Rotella, just not the T6.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 05:29 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Joel__viii
i could be wrong, but i don't think posting in a bunch of threads applies to your post count.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it take to get the results? This is great to know.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran Mobil 1 10w-30 with Mobil 1 filter for almost 6 years in my bolt on EVO. I drove it every day, raced, etc and never had one issue. To me, you can run any synthetic oil and be just fine. I don't believe, however, in going 5,000+ miles between oil changes. All of my vehicles get oil changes every 3,000 miles or less and EVERY time I drain the oil, no matter if it's conventional or synthetic, it's BLACK. So, to each his own.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 06:34 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
I ran Mobil 1 10w-30 with Mobil 1 filter for almost 6 years in my bolt on EVO. I drove it every day, raced, etc and never had one issue. To me, you can run any synthetic oil and be just fine. I don't believe, however, in going 5,000+ miles between oil changes. All of my vehicles get oil changes every 3,000 miles or less and EVERY time I drain the oil, no matter if it's conventional or synthetic, it's BLACK. So, to each his own.
I agree. I've run quite a few different oils. The only problem I had was a turbo dying while using VR1, though that was mostly likely unrelated.
I assume the "black" in oil to but unrelated to the oil itself, anyway, other than it's doing it's job by catching contaminants.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anything on VR-1?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Well my latest results they said...

"Aluminum and potassium bumped up just a little in this sample. Aluminum can show piston wear, and potassium might indicate coolant contamination, though it's too early to call that for sure at this point -- hence the question mark in the antifreeze box. Maybe the aluminum is just operational in nature, so that might not be a problem yet either. In other words, we have a few things to keep an eye on going forward, but nothing that we're ready to call an outright problem. Everything else still looks great. Check back in 4,000 miles again to monitor."

Hopefully I don't have a super small coolant leak

Old Sep 13, 2018, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
here are my latest uoas for comparison

https://qlmotorsport.com/2018/07/08/uoa-evo-07082018/
Old Sep 13, 2018, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Aluminum was also mentioned on my last report. Will be submitting another sample after my next track event and update my results then.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's my latest report. Only thing noted is lead, but we think that's due to the fuel/additive used at my last track day.

Old Nov 4, 2018, 01:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknsnoboarder
Here's my latest report. Only thing noted is lead, but we think that's due to the fuel/additive used at my last track day.
Thanks for posting your results. Good info & good practice to follow
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknsnoboarder
what oil?

Quick Reply: Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.