Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
So is the wix filter a better than the mitsubishi filter?

I seem to hear good and bad around this board about the mitsu oem filter (new style). I do like the the way mitsu sealed the oem filter and have the o-ring prelubed for you though. On my evo and last project car I ran exclusively on napa gold/wix filters with no problems so Im biased to say these are great filters.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, I think people are getting silly about filters, oils, etc...

If you want a better oil filter, get this : http://www.system1filters.com/

I run them on the 911 race cars and they are great because you can quickly open them up and see if you have an issue. Do I think you need it on a street car ? - No....
Old Jan 9, 2011, 04:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cij911
Chris

I think this thread has the potential to become a bank of good info for all you guys if we keep it on track, Tommi has great plans with this thread.

but you are right too many internet wariors that type in GOOGLE the word oil and they read for an hr or so and suddenly they are experts in the topic of oil,,,, BUT i dont think this thread will ever turn that way and if it does i think Tommi will call the mods to keep it on track.

Last edited by apagan01; Jan 9, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 04:32 PM
Account Disabled

If you want a better oil filter, get this : http://www.system1filters.com/

I run them on the 911 race cars and they are great because you can quickly open them up and see if you have an issue. Do I think you need it on a street car ? - No....
Chris,,, i would actually reccomend a bypass system it would be more efficient than that filter.

diesels have big issues with keeping their oil clean regardless of how new the vehicle is,, and the ones who use by pass they love how their oil stays nice and clean, meanning less oxydants slower oil breakdown
Old Jan 9, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Chris,,, i would actually reccomend a bypass system it would be more efficient than that filter.

diesels have big issues with keeping their oil clean regardless of how new the vehicle is,, and the ones who use by pass they love how their oil stays nice and clean, meanning less oxydants slower oil breakdown
I don't know Andy. I like the Amsoil bypass filter design. That said, the System 1 filter is sort of the defacto leader in space. I imagine you could have both a bypass and System 1, right ?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys for keeping this thread civil.

I should have more testing stuff done soon. Fwiw, Blackstone must have been alerted to this thread because for some reason they keep sending me containers. Last week I got 1, this week I got 4!.. lol
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:36 AM
Account Disabled

I don't know Andy. I like the Amsoil bypass filter design. That said, the System 1 filter is sort of the defacto leader in space. I imagine you could have both a bypass and System 1, right ?
i dont know if you want to have both systems in place, i am sure if you are looking for the long drain interval it would be someting to try out.
i need to look more into the system 1 its seems like some heavy duty vehicles are using it, i am wondering whos filter they use unless they are letting it up to the user to choose their filter.

Tommi,, i should have some labs comming this way for SSO and ASL but they mostlikely will be at higher drain interval.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
I am not sure what you mean by "new style" the OEM filters I use have been the same from for 7 years. All I know is my friend and tuner uses the OEM filters on his 700whp Evo. When he takes his car to the Time Attacks (of which he is west coast champion) he uses a K&N because he has to wire the oil filter for safety sake on the track. When he gets home, he "detunes" the car to around 600whp and uses OEM filters. So to each their own. If your into EDI's (extended drain intervals) then maybe use a different filter. If you change the oil every 3-5K the OEM filter is all you need. I have not had a UOA come back yet saying I had bad oil filtration with the OEM filter.

I have ran the K&N 1004 on my Evo when I ran Methanol Injection. I wasn't sure how the OEM media would hold up to Methanol. My Tuner said not to worry, but I was overly cautious as always. Im back on the OEM Filters and have no issues with them what so ever.

Jeff
I thought I read on here that the originial oem mitsu filters they were selling were good, but the new ones with a slightly different part number are not as good. I dont know how true that info is, but the new ones are supposedly outsourced to a different company, I think FULL. This is not info from me, just what I read on here searching around. I didnt remember more details cause I dont use the oem oil filter. I dont have anything against it, I just use a different one.

We all have out reasons for chosing a certain product over another, I started using wix filters when I was living out in Mooresville,NC. I saw a great majority of dirt track, Hooters cup, Busch series, and Sprint Cup cars with Wix oil filters hanging underneath them. When I read more about Wix at the time, I found alot of the local diesel guys loved them too. Long story short, there are quite a few good oil filters, Im sure the oem one is ok. At the very least more oil filters should come sealed like the oem one does.

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
If you change the oil every 3-5K the OEM filter is all you need. I have not had a UOA come back yet saying I had bad oil filtration with the OEM filter.

Jeff
Not bashing oem. Im running an oem air filter, making ~280 awhp, and my uoa analysis was saying my air filtration was good. Not bad for a ~$10 filter,
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Here is my report on Mobil 1 10w-30 after ~3K miles of use - 91 octane + 50%Meth/50% Water with an M10 jet. Seems like things are fine (according to the analysis).

Currently I am running Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage and will post the data as soon as available.
Attached Thumbnails Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.-evo-9-mobil-1-10w30-analysis-09302010.jpg  
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:15 AM
Account Disabled

Here is my report on Mobil 1 10w-30 after ~3K miles of use - 91 octane + 50%Meth/50% Water with an M10 jet. Seems like things are fine (according to the analysis).

Currently I am running Mobil 1 10w-30 High Mileage and will post the data as soon as available.
Chris

We had the same issues with the TT car all of sudden spiked Iron to double digits we closely watched it and came back down to single digits,,, keep an eye on that make sure it slopes down not up.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:17 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TommiM
I thought I read on here that the originial oem mitsu filters they were selling were good, but the new ones with a slightly different part number are not as good. I dont know how true that info is, but the new ones are supposedly outsourced to a different company, I think FULL. This is not info from me, just what I read on here searching around. I didnt remember more details cause I dont use the oem oil filter. I dont have anything against it, I just use a different one.

We all have out reasons for chosing a certain product over another, I started using wix filters when I was living out in Mooresville,NC. I saw a great majority of dirt track, Hooters cup, Busch series, and Sprint Cup cars with Wix oil filters hanging underneath them. When I read more about Wix at the time, I found alot of the local diesel guys loved them too. Long story short, there are quite a few good oil filters, Im sure the oem one is ok. At the very least more oil filters should come sealed like the oem one does.

Not bashing oem. Im running an oem air filter, making ~280 awhp, and my uoa analysis was saying my air filtration was good. Not bad for a ~$10 filter,

OEM is a paper filter ,, when i oppened mine up on my IX i noticed this,,, i dont want them near my scooter.....
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for posting this up. I will try and edit this stuff so its all on the first post as we get more of these on here. I should have some more data up soon too.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

edited by jeff

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Feb 1, 2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Not Post Related.

Quick Reply: Some current oil analysis info, ongoing testing.