Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another FP Red bites the dust.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another FP Red bites the dust.

Hello guys,

As the title says, my FP Red just blew a couple of days ago. I had bought this turbo from a member of this forum. It was new/never installed. I ran the turbo for about 3,000 miles of daily driving NO drag racing or auto X, and the psi was set at 28.

When the turbo was installed I was using mobil 1 15W-50. As we all know this oil is not on FP' list for this kind of turbos. So at about 500miles ago(@2,500miles since it only lasted 3,000) I switched to the mobil 1 10W-40 racing 4T. One of the 2 choices from mobil 1 that FP accepts as a good oil for the FP Red. 500 miles later the turbo blows up. There is a nasty grinding noise coming from the turbo and white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Another thing I find a bit curious is that I wasn't getting the WHP that I should get with the mods I have. Even my tuner was saying that there was atleast 25-35WHP in the car that we needed to find. The Air flow meter graph was showing some erratic spikes which we thought it was a boost leak. I did a boost leak test and the IC pipes were loose. We tuned again and the graph was much better, but it still had some spikes which were not normal. We then decided to get a BOV to see if we could fix the problem. I was about to install the BOV, but the turbo died before I could do it.

I'm not blaming this on FP or mobil 1. I just want to share my experience and hopefully point out exactly what was the problem. Anyone else here with a similar experience? Do you guys think my turbo was shot since the beginning and therefore explaining the spikes on the air flow meter graph and the lack of WHP?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Don Q
Do you guys think my turbo was shot since the beginning and therefore explaining the spikes on the air flow meter graph and the lack of WHP?

Thanks in advance
Most likely your turbo had issues before you installed it....
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Send it to fp, they will take care of the turbo
Old Jan 23, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

i cant wait till the BB stock frames are released....
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hearing this kind of scares me a bit lol. I'll be ordering my Red next week sometime.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cij911
Most likely your turbo had issues before you installed it....
That's what I was thinking... Can you point out any specific problem?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by keath
Send it to fp, they will take care of the turbo
Will do, I sent them an email as soon as it went down. Do you know how much time it takes to rebuild it and send it back?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by milford
i cant wait till the BB stock frames are released....
Has FP stated they will start doing BB or is this just a rumor?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ssg_petty_210
Hearing this kind of scares me a bit lol. I'll be ordering my Red next week sometime.
Well, I'm pretty sure I just had bad luck. There is alot of people here running them without any problems
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Had 2 of them any both blow up the first one lasted 3,000 miles,and the other 1,000..Never again a fp or stock framed journal bearing unless it was a stock 9 turbo.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

yes
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Quote:

yes
any links to this info?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Best fp stock framed turbo is the green hardly never fail..
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Hello guys,

As the title says, my FP Red just blew a couple of days ago. I had bought this turbo from a member of this forum. It was new/never installed. I ran the turbo for about 3,000 miles of daily driving NO drag racing or auto X, and the psi was set at 28.

When the turbo was installed I was using mobil 1 15W-50. As we all know this oil is not on FP' list for this kind of turbos. So at about 500miles ago(@2,500miles since it only lasted 3,000) I switched to the mobil 1 10W-40 racing 4T. One of the 2 choices from mobil 1 that FP accepts as a good oil for the FP Red. 500 miles later the turbo blows up. There is a nasty grinding noise coming from the turbo and white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Another thing I find a bit curious is that I wasn't getting the WHP that I should get with the mods I have. Even my tuner was saying that there was atleast 25-35WHP in the car that we needed to find. The Air flow meter graph was showing some erratic spikes which we thought it was a boost leak. I did a boost leak test and the IC pipes were loose. We tuned again and the graph was much better, but it still had some spikes which were not normal. We then decided to get a BOV to see if we could fix the problem. I was about to install the BOV, but the turbo died before I could do it.

I'm not blaming this on FP or mobil 1. I just want to share my experience and hopefully point out exactly what was the problem. Anyone else here with a similar experience? Do you guys think my turbo was shot since the beginning and therefore explaining the spikes on the air flow meter graph and the lack of WHP?

Thanks in advance
Just note if you had a big boost leak and you were tuned for 25 or say 30 psi the turbo has to spin twice as much to keep up for the boost because of the leak and that would make the turbo think it's being tuned for 40 psi or more.That would blow the turbo up too it's over spinning the shaft in the turbo!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

no links. They wouldn't tell me when either. He just said its going to happen.

Quick Reply: Another FP Red bites the dust.