Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

screeching noise with clutch pushed in - quartermaster twin disc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
screeching noise with clutch pushed in - quartermaster twin disc

hi all, i'm running a quartermaster twin disc clutch. here's what happened - took an exit, downshifted into second, and i noticed a screeching noise when the clutch was pushed in. as i downshifted into first coming to a stop with the clutch pushed in, the noise was unbearable. it's a super loud screeching noise, kind of like scratching something sharp on a chalkboard, except magnify that by let's say, a hundred times. i drove around some more up to about 60mph shifting through the gears, and the screech was there every time i shifted gears. i know twin disc's make some chatter with the clutch disengaged, but this definitely did not sound normal. the weird part about it is that the noise only now happens when i start the car, and randomly as i have the clutch pedal pushed in going at parking lot speeds. the screech noise is there for about a second while the car turns over and then disappears when i let go of the pedal. while accelerating and shifting through the gears, i no longer hear any screeching. it is not difficult to shift into and out of gears either.

could this mean that my throwout bearing or pilot bearing is going out? any ideas? with the TOB being hydraulic with this setup, my tuner said that it is not likely the TOB. this only happened today so i will follow up as the days go by and see if any new symptoms show.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
My Exedy twin did the same noise maybe 5miles after installation. I asked many people and they agreed it was normal for a twin disk and it could be even worse for a triple. One thing I have noticed tho, is if I rev match correctly (more than 3-5% throttle), then I don't get that noise. maybe try rev matching better and see if that effects the noise.
gl!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

still making the noise...only on startup or coming to a stop...clutch has less than 1000 miles
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my quartermaster was the same and it was perfectly normal and worked perfectly for what it was meant to do, hold a ****load of power
The following users liked this post:
WestPalmEVO (Sep 5, 2019)
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine makes noise when the disks start grabbing. Not while pushed in. Sounds like over extending the PP fingers.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

how do u overextend the pp fingers?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

If you don't have a clutch pedal stop or something to limit the travel of the TOB you can push the PP fingers too far and really mess things up. You can get around a stop by adjusting the pedal as far as it will go but you will have a really low engagement point off the floor.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
This was setup properly, not our first trip to the rodeo. Unfortunately the car is not 10 minutes from the shop with the new owner as it was with the last. It will get looked at on monday if the car makes it down. The description I got is its a QM doing what they do based on the sound, nothing more. We'll take a look at it and make the call on what it is.

It has a new TOB, new disks, it was low mile before it got new friction and installed in the car for the original owner. Its hard to say what has happened now but we are very interested in making it right if possible. Racecars dont come with warranties and some times they do weird things though

Aaron
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

thanks aaron. yeah, the sound is intermittent now. not all the time. car is very driveable and clutch engages as it should shifting through the gears. it almost sounds like some metal pieces shaking in a can is the best sound discription, or a metallic scraping noise. can i also come down and get the axle seal replaced?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:59 AM
Evolving Member

Well...got stranded last night. Not sure what has happened, but the clutch no longer engages, like I'm in neutral the whole time. I can shift through the gears without the clutch pedal depressed with the engine running. Happened as I accelerated in second gear. Didn't really hear anything, but when I shifted into third, all the engine would do is rev. Need some advice!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Any thoughts? Car shifts into any gear with the car running or off, without using the clutch.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

looks like ill be getting her towed to english racing
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

I will never knock a well known shop but it really sounds like the PP is done.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

i just hope it isnt the tranny

Quick Reply: screeching noise with clutch pushed in - quartermaster twin disc