Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car stalls, why??? (video)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car stalls, why??? (video)

My car stalls (or almost stalls) when i accelerate and then push the clutch pedal (check the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfc_Mbbq_uM

On video every time RPM goes down i pushed the clutch pedal. Don't worry about the whining sound on the first gear. There is no CEL and car starts without any problem. I changed the BOV for stock one, cleaned MAF sensor, checked spark plugs, but nothing helped. I was thinking that it was caused by bad idle air control valve. But i don't see any teeth on it and resistance on pins is correct (32). Can it still be bad IACV??? PLEASE HELP !!!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Seems like a slow responding IAC valve. Try cleaning it out with some throttle body cleaner.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Did it just start doing this on its own? Did it start since it got cold outside? Have you messed with the base idle set screw on the throttle body?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

does it stall when your parked and push the clutch in?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

have you changed anything lately?? disconnect the battery and reconnect after a few minutes. it may reset itself for idle control.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Seems like a slow responding IAC valve. Try cleaning it out with some throttle body cleaner.
Did it already. Did not help.

Did it just start doing this on its own? Did it start since it got cold outside? Have you messed with the base idle set screw on the throttle body?
Yes it started on its own (about two months ago). At the beginning it was happening only sometimes and right now it is all the time. I did not touch the screw.

does it stall when your parked and push the clutch in?
No. Only when I drive.

have you changed anything lately?? disconnect the battery and reconnect after a few minutes. it may reset itself for idle control.
I did not do anything.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

did you try my second suggestion??

also, check your couplings to the intercooler piping. sometimes they burst and you dont know it. it seems like it isnt reading all the MAF and other unread air is entering the system somewhere.

do you have low boost??
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

did you try my second suggestion??

also, check your couplings to the intercooler piping. sometimes they burst and you dont know it. it seems like it isnt reading all the MAF and other unread air is entering the system somewhere.

do you have low boost??
I changed the battery about 3 weeks ago (small kit) while the stalling problem was happening already. I also did a boost leak test and everything is OK (no leaks). No low boost.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

on the BOV, are the lines hooked up correctly??
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have a vent to atmosphere bov or a little filter on the valve cover nipple? Or a oil catch can with the filter on it? If so those are unmetered air leaks that could cause this also. Its more noticable with cold air since its more dense. Might run perfect in the warmer months.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a combination of the idle air controller and the base idle set screw on the throttle body not adjusted properly. they both work hand in hand. lots of evos have this issue. lock the speed adjustment screw in evoscan (SAS actuator) and turn the screw on the throttle body counterclockwise.

also if the screw was adjusted without locking the actuator the calibration is now wrong on the idle air controller so it has the wrong step settings and is malfunctioning.

you can try adjusting the biss without locking the actuator also.. its something you'll have to keep playing with until you get it right.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
a combination of the idle air controller and the base idle set screw on the throttle body not adjusted properly. they both work hand in hand. lots of evos have this issue. lock the speed adjustment screw in evoscan (SAS actuator) and turn the screw on the throttle body counterclockwise.

also if the screw was adjusted without locking the actuator the calibration is now wrong on the idle air controller so it has the wrong step settings and is malfunctioning.

you can try adjusting the biss without locking the actuator also.. its something you'll have to keep playing with until you get it right.
This is what I thought the problem was also but the OP said it just started happening on its own. I dont think the screw will move on its own.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

on the BOV, are the lines hooked up correctly??
yes they are

Do you have a vent to atmosphere bov or a little filter on the valve cover nipple? Or a oil catch can with the filter on it? If so those are unmetered air leaks that could cause this also. Its more noticable with cold air since its more dense. Might run perfect in the warmer months.
No VTA BOV, no little filter, no Oil Catch Can. My current setup was working fine for 3 years until 2 months ago. Last winter i Did not have those problems.

Everything happened by itself. I did not play with anything. So why do I have to play with the screw. Could the screw move by itself???

Also at the beginning it was doing it only sometimes and only on the first gear. And slowly it began being like on the video. Also as you can see after jumping down the needle goes to correct idle RPM.

Last edited by dvd_mi; Feb 3, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
This is what I thought the problem was also but the OP said it just started happening on its own. I dont think the screw will move on its own.
some cars need adjusted alittle bit for colder weather.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dvd_mi
yes they are

No VTA BOV, no little filter, no Oil Catch Can. My current setup was working fine for 3 years until 2 months ago. Last winter i Did not have those problems.

Everything happened by itself. I did not play with anything. So why do I have play with the screw. Could the screw move by itself???

Also at the beginning it was doing it only sometimes and only on the first gear. And slowly it began being like on the video.
either the idle air controller is bad since you didnt touch anything else and it just started occurring or you need to retune the cars idle for this colder weather.. its been getting very cold recently compared to 2 months ago. we had single digits a few days ago.

just lock the actuator and open up the screw more see if it catches itself.

unhook your idle air controller and see what it does.

Quick Reply: Car stalls, why??? (video)