Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual boost controller or Electronic/ECU boost control? Which one?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Ill probably try the ecu based boost control and I don't like it ill just go back to my mbc
Old May 5, 2011, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
There is a lot out here on evom in regards to ways of controlling boost and which have the pro/cons. They all have pro/cons!

MBC - Hallman - Personally the best MBC on the market. The cheapest, and easiest to tune/control boost.

EBC - TruBoost - The TruBoost is a MBC, just electronic... The truboost is a bit better than a mbc because you can mess with the spring pressure which will help spool/topend. The EBC is very convenient but a bit harder to use than a standard MBC. Having the EBC in the cabin makes it easy to change boost on the fly. Not all EBCs are true EBC... keep that in mind when you see anything under $400. Like the truboost you can't change wgdc based off rpm or gear or any of the fancy stuff that really makes the EBC shine...

ECU Base Boost - Practically like a fancy EBC but a batch to tune if you don't know what you are doing and not easy to change on the fly.

You will notice that everyone has a different opinion.

If I was to make a list on what controls boost the best on a 1-4 scale, I would say.

1. HKS EVC VI (Fancy EBC)
2. ECU Base Boost Control
3. TruBoost (EBC that is practically a MBC)
4. Hallman Pro (MBC)

If I was to make a list on which boost controller are the most convenient on a 1-4 scale, I would say.

1. TruBoost (EBC that is practically a MBC)
2. HKS EVC VI (Fancy EBC)
3. Hallman Pro (MBC)
4. ECU Base Boost Control

Hope this kinda helps. When you define best you have to say best for what? They all have pro/cons

Mikey
Is the HKS EVC 5 a true ebc, i.e, can it change wgdc based off rpm or gear?
Old May 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm changing from ECU controlled boost to AEM Tru. Not by choice. Easier for my tuning options.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
does anyone have graph showing the spoolup differences between an EBC and MBC? I have to think with all the logging going on SOMEONE took the time to log the difference between the two.

I have been running an MBC for as long as I've owned boosted cars. Now that I'm on V7 I'm moving over to an EBC for various reasons. I fully intend to log the spoolup difference recorded by my MAP sensor between my Hallman and whichever EBC (grimmspeed, Perrin) I choose.

replying to my own post, lol.

I've been tuned using the Grimmspeed EBC for about 2 months now, did a couple of track days and autox's, and I'm switching back to the MBC for a couple reasons.

1. its easier to change boost. and when you do change boost the curve will stay flat where as with the EBC you have to make a change and log, then make another change and log... gets very frustrating.

2. its much, much easier to tune with an MBC (IMO) because the load is much more stable and consistant. This isn't so much an issue now that I'm about 95% tuned but it was a PITA to have the load move around so much when I was trying to nail down my fueling.

3. the MBC has a much flatter boost curve, which is part of the reason for what I said in #2.

4. the MBC seems to be more consistant in all situations.

The only thing I'm going to miss with the EBC is the ability to run lower boost in 5th gear for safety, but I think if I just stick to 22psi with the MBC I'll be fine.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
replying to my own post, lol.

I've been tuned using the Grimmspeed EBC for about 2 months now, did a couple of track days and autox's, and I'm switching back to the MBC for a couple reasons.

1. its easier to change boost. and when you do change boost the curve will stay flat where as with the EBC you have to make a change and log, then make another change and log... gets very frustrating.

2. its much, much easier to tune with an MBC (IMO) because the load is much more stable and consistant. This isn't so much an issue now that I'm about 95% tuned but it was a PITA to have the load move around so much when I was trying to nail down my fueling.

3. the MBC has a much flatter boost curve, which is part of the reason for what I said in #2.

4. the MBC seems to be more consistant in all situations.

The only thing I'm going to miss with the EBC is the ability to run lower boost in 5th gear for safety, but I think if I just stick to 22psi with the MBC I'll be fine.
I agree on most all points.

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; May 5, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Jay. I was actually going to reach out to you initially to have everything setup since you're the EBC guru, but ultimately found a very capable tuner local to me who did an excellent job.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:07 PM

I had a hallman pro on my eclipse and it worked great. I now have a AEM Electronic boost controller on it which is very nice so that boost can be controlled right in the car.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I've been told ECu controlled is a little in-consistent on Evo VIII/IX's but better on Evo X's and Scoobies.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone here have expreience with the hks evc6? Im debating that or ecu boost