Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual boost controller or Electronic/ECU boost control? Which one?

Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used both, previously had a Hallman and I'm now running a Grimmspeed 3-port on stock ECU. ECU controlled boost has many advantages that I've seen so far: Gear dependent boost control, boost error correction (great for temp changes), dual boost maps, rock solid boost, quicker spool, and holds better up top, decrease boost on knock, etc. The cost is about the same as a good MBC and setting up the base maps isn't too difficult.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gonna go with Grimspeed EBC but got a great deal on a Tru Boost,Ive heard nothing but good things about it so cant wait to install and see the results.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:42 PM

Hallman MBC over here and love it, had the GReddy Profec B and like stated before its a good unit hard to dial in for sure just wanted something simple again, so took the GReddy Unit out put the Hallman back in GReddy unit's for sale any takers PM me , but if I had to do it all over again from the start it would be in this order

MBC if budget is tight

ECU controlled for the best bang for your buck and being the most efficient IMO..

EBC if you want to have a hi/lo setting or be able to adjust for cold weather/hot weather, and having it as a secondary boost gauge, limiter settings, and visual and audible warnings were a plus too
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

I have a hallman and love it! but if i had the money to blow on a EBC I would buy a Blitz SBC i-Color Boost Controller. It looks sick and has lots of functions and it has a easy to read color LCD screen. It comes in silver or black.
Attached Thumbnails Manual boost controller or Electronic/ECU boost control? Which one?-blz-15083.jpg  
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Creamo3
I've used both, previously had a Hallman and I'm now running a Grimmspeed 3-port on stock ECU. ECU controlled boost has many advantages that I've seen so far: Gear dependent boost control, boost error correction (great for temp changes), dual boost maps, rock solid boost, quicker spool, and holds better up top, decrease boost on knock, etc. The cost is about the same as a good MBC and setting up the base maps isn't too difficult.
I was thinking of going with a Hallman also; tight budget, but since the Grimmspeed is close to the cost I am reconsidering. Is the ecu capable of controlling the Grimmspeed @ 26psi with a reflash?
Old Feb 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

^^^yes
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by midegade
I was thinking of going with a Hallman also; tight budget, but since the Grimmspeed is close to the cost I am reconsidering. Is the ecu capable of controlling the Grimmspeed @ 26psi with a reflash?
It can control whatever boost your turbo/wastegate setup is capable of supporting. I set mine up to have a hi and low boost map that I can switch with the intercooler spray button.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Stock ECU/3 port for all reasons stated. Downside/Upside is you need a reflash.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by catman78
Stock ECU/3 port for all reasons stated. Downside/Upside is you need a reflash.
Well....I'm doing a flash anyway so it would suit me.
Tell me though, by flashing for low and high boost, what does the triggering.
Is it that a manual switch has to be set up or what?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 06:01 AM

I've understood all the benefits of the ebcs, but are there any limitations or disadvantages other than the reflash.

One which I saw on this forum was the electrical noise generated from vibration in the engine bay, but this was fixed with a grommet.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

does anyone have graph showing the spoolup differences between an EBC and MBC? I have to think with all the logging going on SOMEONE took the time to log the difference between the two.

I have been running an MBC for as long as I've owned boosted cars. Now that I'm on V7 I'm moving over to an EBC for various reasons. I fully intend to log the spoolup difference recorded by my MAP sensor between my Hallman and whichever EBC (grimmspeed, Perrin) I choose.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 08:34 AM

Id go with ecu boost control for a couple of reasons. Im not sure if you run dual maps on your car, but if you do using the ecu to control your boost levels between different maps is much easier than counting turns on a mbc. Another thing is if youre into carshows or showing off your engine bay at all a mbc can be a big liability. All it takes is one punk to walk by and turn that knob a couple times and bye bye motor. The downside is that they are not user friendly, if youre not a tuner you cant really play with your boost levels on your own, which Ive found is a good thing for some people.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midegade
Well....I'm doing a flash anyway so it would suit me.
Tell me though, by flashing for low and high boost, what does the triggering.
Is it that a manual switch has to be set up or what?
I used a small toggle switch with a LED hooked in. switch in the off position is low boost (91 octane) and switch on LED lit is the high (e85)

you can also use the I/C sprayer button if you have one or the patch that uses the throttle pedal to change it. A friend of mine runs his that way
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

I like my Grimmspeed 3port, I can hold 30psi no problem on my Red and my Black till 8000 rpm. Also I can change between low and high boost at will, if I have my laptop with me, which I usually do. You can also correct for changes in temperature which is good. Not to mention that you can play with your boost in 1st gear for a perfect 2-step which is crucial if you want to take a GTR off the line
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by sho669
I used a small toggle switch with a LED hooked in. switch in the off position is low boost (91 octane) and switch on LED lit is the high (e85)

you can also use the I/C sprayer button if you have one or the patch that uses the throttle pedal to change it. A friend of mine runs his that way
Cool

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual boost controller or Electronic/ECU boost control? Which one?