Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is it a time to replace Exedy Twin Plate Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Is it a time to replace Exedy Twin Plate Clutch?

so i have a exedy twin plate clutch on my evo 8 . i bought the car used with the clutch so im not sure how many miles are on it. im assuming around 20k. the car has bushwacker tranny also.

I have

Flushed the system
Adjusted the clutch pedal

and im still having some issues

i initially had problem going into reverse and 1st. and it was getting worse. so i did the above and problem went away for a little and it came back again.

clutch has been readjusted but it feels like there are two engaging points??
i would start to let go of the clutch and right as i start to let go of the clutch, still near the floor, it would engage (to a point car would stall if i dont give gas) and i would continue until the pedal is fully up and it seems to engage fully.
so i have this almost full pedal length of engagement point now and im not sure whats causing this.

could one of the plates be wearing out?
is there anything that i can check/ adjust to try to diagnose this problem??
any comments/ suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

bububump
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may not have to replace it. My Exedy Twin HD clutch started developing a "twin" engagement point after about 10K of use ... did it coming off a dyno session. It was still driveable, but a PITA, as one disc would engage right at the bottom of the clutch pedal stroke and the next one just past halfway up. It also became difficult to shift into 1st. I suffered with it for about 10K. Last year I ended up having a TRE tranny installed. During the install I had AMS inspect the clutch, and it looked fine and after everything was put together again, it worked like new again. It's almost as if one of the discs got stuck. I would have had someone look at it sooner, but as I'm sure you're aware, getting to the clutch is a PITA and will cost $$$...

l8r)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea I get the two engagement point deal with my triple as well sometimes. Always gotta be careful when first letting out the clutch in case it happens. It will start to grab, then let go and grab again at the normal engagement point. Hard to say what causes it, but it is probably a disc getting caught slightly cockeyed or something along those lines. It will only happen when trying to start very mildly though, if you give it a good rev before letting out the clutch it never seems to happen.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same clutch in my car also, it's hard to move in 1st gear. I have to play with it for a couple seconds before going into 1st. Might have to adjust the clutch pedal

I don't know why everyone says this clutch is so Great but then I keep hearing people complained about it all the time.

Can someone explain?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:57 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it can hold a ton of power and it's engagement is still way better than other clutches like the quartermaster. It also lasts a decent amount of time. I don't think you can compaire the twin and triple, though as the twin is probably a bit harsher.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:35 PM
Evolving Member

1. Replace the front transmission mount.
2. Check to see if the pressure plate backed out any.(I seent it.)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by still*boostn
1. Replace the front transmission mount.
2. Check to see if the pressure plate backed out any.(I seent it.)
what would replacing the front transmission mount do exactly??
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VKEVO
I have the same clutch in my car also, it's hard to move in 1st gear. I have to play with it for a couple seconds before going into 1st. Might have to adjust the clutch pedal

I don't know why everyone says this clutch is so Great but then I keep hearing people complained about it all the time.

Can someone explain?
I got the same problem with my triple, pretty sure one of the discs is sticking or hanging up for some reason. The clutch has like SIX Thousand miles on it and it's done it already, it really sucks. Going to pull it soon and if it's not a cheap fix possibly go with a different brand. With all these people having disengagement issues I dont want it to happen all over again
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:40 PM

Exedy Twin Disk Clutch WARNING
We have noticed a problem with the Exedy twin disk units for the EVO 8-9 that people are mistaking for a trans problem. If you are using an Exedy twin disk clutch, please note some have a problem of sticking at idle when the clutch is depressed which will cause the trans to feel terribly notchy when shifting into gear from a stop. This is happening due to insufficient floater plate to basket clearance. The floater is cast and the basket is not. The difference in materials cause the assembly to stick when the vehicle warms up as the parts are expanding at different rates, so the floater will not let go of the disk and cause a low RPM clutch drag issue. To prevent this problem we recommend the following before installing our trans when using the Exedy twin disk:

1)Disassemble the clutch assembly.
2)Polish the area on the basket that makes contact with the floater (the arms).
3)Polish each side of the arms around the basket thoroughly.

This will prevent the floater from sticking by adding more clearance and a nice polished smooth surface for the floater to make contact with. When done correctly, your new trans will shift perfectly at low RPM!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I see so many of these threads and different solutions, but what you're describing is normally caused by a warped intermediate plate.