Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Fuel Pump Not Working

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I'm not the only one this has happened to. I just picked up a brand new DW pump this week for my VIII and I find out after installing that its dead on arrival

I tested it with a battery and some leads but it does nothing. My 100k mile walbro 255lph tested out fine with the battery method. i just reinstalled the old walbro and the car fired back up. I would suggest to anyone with this pump that you bench test it before installing, it could save a lot of time and hassle. I wish I would have done that before hand.

I'm going to contact DW on Monday and see what they can do. Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but could you let me know who you contacted over there? Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Oh, no doubt. To be honest, new items always have some kinks to be worked out, yet I am not patient enough to wait. I'm sure once we get some working pumps, they'll rock.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
Looks like I'm not the only one this has happened to. I just picked up a brand new DW pump this week for my VIII and I find out after installing that its dead on arrival

I tested it with a battery and some leads but it does nothing. My 100k mile walbro 255lph tested out fine with the battery method. i just reinstalled the old walbro and the car fired back up. I would suggest to anyone with this pump that you bench test it before installing, it could save a lot of time and hassle. I wish I would have done that before hand.

I'm going to contact DW on Monday and see what they can do. Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but could you let me know who you contacted over there? Thanks
a friend bought one of these a few weeks ago and it was also defective :S
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey Guys,

We wanted to offer some tech advice for our DW301 fuel pump based a few customers we have assisted and recent testing we've done.

Installation:

When installing the DW301 we recommend using the OE spacer and grommet/seal from the OE pump. We have tested this in an EVO 8/9 fuel pump assembly and it holds pressure to over 100psi w/o bleeding off. See picture below:

If you are removing a Walbro pump to install your DW301 and you used the o-ring provide with the Walbro kit, we DO NOT recommend re-using this on your DW pump. Replace with the OE spacer and grommet/seal. We have tested the Walbro seal on the DW pump installed in a EVO 8/9 assembly, there is some pressure loss at 50psi and massive pressure loss above 70 psi. If you don't have your OE grommet/seal, contact us and we will send you a better o-ring solution. See picture below of an alternative to the Walbro seal or OE grommet/seal:

Lastly, if upon installation you are not getting fuel pressure and the car will not start you may need to prime the system. There could be air in the system causing the pump to vapor lock. This will not always be necessary, but this is the first thing we recommend trying if you are not getting pressure. Please follow the process below:
  • Have the pump fully installed in the assembly.
  • Disconnect the fuel feed line. There are three lines on the top of the assembly; the feed line is the one furthest from the electrical connector.
  • Attach a 4 foot, or appropriate length, fuel hose to the feed line and run it to a container next to the car.
  • Turn the car over for several seconds until the trapped air is evacuated and fuel comes out of the hose.

Note: turning the key to the “on” position WILL NOT prime the pump. You must turn the car over until the air is pushed out and the is flowing. Then, re-attach the feed line and start the car.

See video below for process of priming the pump if needed. (sorry for the poor quality, we will soon have high quality install video’s on our website)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TblYEKWGruU
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Pump was received by DW today. I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out the culprit. Thanks for the info Chris. Although I tried those steps, I'm sure many of the guys/gals on the site are in need of this.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I had this issue with mine until I primed the pump. I let it crank forever, heard the pump on, but it never fired. Then I unplugged the fuel line, let it crank for a second to squirt some fuel out, plugged the fuel line in, and it was all good.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I prime all pumps before install out of the car...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a best/recommended way to bench test the pump? I got one of the very first units, and I still haven't had a chance to install it, but I'd like to make sure it works before I drive 4 hours to get retuned on E85.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i test mine with a battery tender and a bucket of gas...

submerge the pump in gas
hook up a hose to the nipple on the top of the pump and have it cycle back into the bucket
positive to positive, negative to negative for power from the battery tender
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so on this new FP you shouldnt use that black grommet or yes?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

I was in contact with DW yesterday and should be returning my FP today sometime.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silver9mr
so on this new FP you shouldnt use that black grommet or yes?
The two pictured solutions above are what we recommend. The OE grommet, pictured first, and the two green orings, pictured second, are the recommend installation methods for ensuring a proper seal.

If you guys are running another pump, and the OE grommet was discarded, please get in touch with us and we'll get a couple of the green orings sent out to you.

If your OE grommet is in good condition, that is our best recommended solution for installation.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Got the pump, installed it and initially car wouldn't turn over. Pulled off the fuel line and air gushed out. Re installed the line and car turned on instantly. Pump works great, def satisfied!!!!!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Good to hear!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

looks like i got a dead pump.. reinstallin wally

Quick Reply: New Fuel Pump Not Working