Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

While driving all power turns off!

Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While driving all power turns off!

first i thought it was the battery, so i changed it, it was ok for one drive now on way back home, first my radio and clock dimmed and then my turbo timer turned off and then aem gauges reset and then cluster etc. got all dark i barely got home

what can it be? alternator? i got a short circuit somewhere?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check your battery terminals, they are thin, weak and crack.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

impossible brand new battery, double checked it's all tight, same thing happend on the old battery, so battery is not to blame, im not sure maybe it's my afr sensor, or maybe my aem gauges install, maybe a short circuit?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
check all your grounds
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Alternator might be bad, start your car and while it's running pull the positive battery cable off. If car dies then alt is bad if car stays running the alt is good!

Last edited by Aaron20; Mar 10, 2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
alternator.....
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

ill try checking if it's my alternator tomorrow its too late tonight, i really don't feel like towing my car gzz

thank you for the tips guys, anything else?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MattevoVIII
impossible brand new battery, double checked it's all tight, same thing happend on the old battery, so battery is not to blame, im not sure maybe it's my afr sensor, or maybe my aem gauges install, maybe a short circuit?
i meant the part that clamps onto the battery terminals that are attached to the cables.

Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:35 PM

Use a volt meter for a quick check, don't pull the battery cables. Also check the alt. 120 amps fuse.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aaron20
Alternator might be bad, start your car and while it's running pull the positive battery cable off. If car dies then alt is bad if car stays running the alt is good!
I know that was a good test on the old cars but I don't think it's good on a new car with all the fancy junk new cars have. Some electronic components are real sensitive to voltage spikes and stuff like that. I wouldn't do it. There are tools (even a $1.99 HB voltmeter) to find out the problem much safer and will tell you much more.

Check the charging with a voltmeter at the battery, at the alternator output stud and once you have a good known power source then put the ground lead of the DMM on grounds you want to test and that will tell you if they're good. Could also ohm them out if you really wanted.

Seems like everything you listed is on the same circuit (or did ALL the lights shut off?) and maybe someone did a poor wiring job and has a loose connection.
I vote for hacked wiring job when they wired the gauge or something
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely NOT the alternator, if the car starts then there is plenty of battery energy left to power the vehicle. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, most likely the main fuse has come loose (happened to me once).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Definitely NOT the alternator, if the car starts then there is plenty of battery energy left to power the vehicle. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, most likely the main fuse has come loose (happened to me once).
How can it be "definitely NOT the alternator"? if the car starts it's because the battery has the power to do it. If the car stays running then the alternator is working. It still can be the alternator!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the qlternator... My car did same thing... Motor stayed running long as i kept on gas.. If i let off gas it died n took few min to start again...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Confirm with a multimeter. But yeah it sounds like the alternator, it's probably taking a dump slowly. When you buy a new battery their usually charged so you maybe good for a bit.

I remember a while ago, I was having the same problem with my truck while I was heading home. Lights dimming, radio died then it would cut out a couple times, 1/2 hour later it just dies and there goes the battery forcing me to push it out of traffic. Luckily a mile away was a autozone. Got a new battery, threw it in and limped the truck home.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I misread the problem description, yeah its definitely the alternator

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Mar 11, 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: While driving all power turns off!