Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Never buy competition clutches

Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never buy competition clutches

ok ill keep this short and to the point
my car is down waiting on a new msnifold so i decided why not do a clutch since mine is stock with 45k on it. ive had this competition clutch stage 2 laying in my garage forever ,its new. just never wanted to do the install till i had to
after 9 hours of back breaking bull****. and playing chinese puzzle games tring to get the tranny back in. we finish
so i hop in the seat and push in the pedal and to the floor it goes. along with it i hear the sound of a ring that just snapped out of place
yes that was the throw out bearing retainer ring which simply popped off.
great craftsmanship competition clutch.
in all my days of doing clutches that has never happend and ive never heard of it
anyway tomorrow i get to completely uninstall this clutch ,repair that and try again
so fellas if your looking for a clutch dont look at competition look at the competition.{thumbdw n}{thumbdw n}
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Which comp clutch was this? Have you done a clutch swap on an Evo/DSM before? Where are you located? You can PM me if you'd like. Sorry to hear the bad news, good luck.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Isn't the retainer clip popping off the installers fault not the clutches?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
ya i wouldnt blame it on the clutch could of been seated wrong not alowing it to lock in right
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

I've done tons of dsm clutches. Same as Evo in that respect. I will have it out tomorrow and see what happened. But Its never happened to me before. And because the fork is away during an install it isn't close enough to that area to pop it out or even affect it. After the tranny is in you press the fork forward until it locks. Which it did I checked. After that it popped out when I pressed the pedal and simultaneously popped the ring off. A fluke? Perhaps. And it could be poorly made.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Evo and DSM TOB have absolutely nothing in common, and the error is not in the clutch...
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

actually they are the same in respect to the manor that the presure plate attach to the throw out bearing.

Last edited by adcgn45; Mar 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Uhh, DSMs are push type and don't physically attach to the pressure plate. Evos are a pull type and use the snap ring to hold the TOB to the pressure plate, completely different.

I cant even count the number of clutches Ive done and what you're say is baffling me.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Later model eclipses do attach the same.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

man i want to get in on this so badly but its kind of better to just sit back and watch. lol

btw, comp clutches are not bunk clutches. both my friend and i have the CCI stage 3 full face kevlars and love them. we both have well over 3k miles on them and they were both installed by me with no issues you have stated. and like it has been said before, evo and dsm clutches have nothing in common. also, a lot of the time there is no need to bleed the clutch slave cylinder as they self bleed (from my experiences of doing 4 now) if it goes to the floor, simply pull it back up and check the pressure. it'll be good after that pending you did your install correctly. maybe you had a bad one but dont got stab a company in the throat for it, contact them directly.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adcgn45
Later model eclipses do attach the same.
oh and you sir said dsm clutches. later model eclipses have a variant of the transmission evos have, but you did not state 00+ eclipses (which are not dsm's product)
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Your Right a technicality
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not in question as to what happened but if this company did something wrong with that clip and caused me to spend another4-5 hours then believe me I'll bash them. Contacting them will yield no results. There is nothing I'm asking for that I can get since they will have no record of me buying since I purchased it from a friend. All I'm saying is beware.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

i completely understand your frustration with the matter but putting a company on blast about a product that is two years old also yields no results. there are so many other ways to take on this subject but for the greater good of the community, documentation and repeated fails need to follow. im just saying that most stand up companies will take care of you depending on how you approach them with a product defect. i had and issue with rexpeed and wheeldude and spoke to them directly and was treated with respect and curteousy both times so i have nothing but good things to say about them both. i imagine those scenarios would've turned out massively different had i made a thread about a single product being bunk. know what i mean?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Well I feel that just putting the story out there is benefiting the community because it will teach people that it's a good idea to fit the presure plate to the tob prior to clutch assembly. Especially with these because I'm a 7 yr technician retired from it now and I've never had this happen. I even tried to replicate what happened with my other clutch on my bench. I couldn't get it to do that when I tried. No matter what sort of manor I pushed in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never buy competition clutches