Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Advice in buying

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice in buying

Hey guys, im thinking about buying a 2003 evo with 145k miles. The car has a 2.3l stroker motor and rebuilt trans from shep with 30k miles on both. The car has an evo 9 turbo and full boltons. The tcase has been replaced recently also. My question to you is how well does these stroker motor hold up with mileage and drivetrain also. Im aware that there is a lot of variables that play a factor. Im just curious to see how high mileage evos hold up drivetrain whise and how reliable a stroker motor is thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
u posted the drivetrain has been rebuilt so it should last quite a while depending on your driving habits, as for stroker motors... the trend i keep seeing is people do them then sell the car. maybe others can shed some light.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 02:49 PM

the tcase has been rebuilt, im more worried about the diff and axels.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gtogoat
the tcase has been rebuilt, im more worried about the diff and axels.
If you test drive the car, pop up the rear seat and do some figure 8's and listen. If the rear diff is quiet its fine. If its too noisy then it likely needs a rebuild. The axels should be fine, they are not a weak spot on evos.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
30K on 2.3, could be close to worn out if it was beat on..
Old Nov 14, 2014, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gtogoat
Hey guys, im thinking about buying a 2003 evo with 145k miles. The car has a 2.3l stroker motor and rebuilt trans from shep with 30k miles on both. The car has an evo 9 turbo and full boltons. The tcase has been replaced recently also. My question to you is how well does these stroker motor hold up with mileage and drivetrain also. Im aware that there is a lot of variables that play a factor. Im just curious to see how high mileage evos hold up drivetrain whise and how reliable a stroker motor is thanks!
Way to many variables. Do a compression test on it and check the oil for contaminents. But 30k is a good amount for a 2.3.

I find it strange that it has a 2.3, built trans, and built transfer case and still has a stock turbo.
My guess would be it had a different setup that he parted out and put the stock stuff back on. If the motor is good you are fine though.
The trans and transfer case are usually good for 500whp or so. If they were built I would think it was at a much higher hp level than the current setup.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2.3L + stock turbo = Wicked Auto-Cross car. :}
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Compression and leak down test will tell you more about the engine. 30k is a fair amount of miles for a 2.3L depending on how it was driven and how it was built. I would want to see the bearings or plan/budget for bearings just in case.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
Lol that car is going to be nothing but problems. A 2.3 with 30k miles not to mention miles on the chassis? You just know the previous owner beat the hell out of it and wants to get rid of it before he falls into a money pit. Def a parts car. End of story. It would be unwise to think any different.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

I have a 2.3L and approaching 30k on it plus my built trans. The car is getting garaged and turned into a track day hero. I'm the original owner of the car. It becomes a money pit to keep it running. My stock turbo has finally failed after 160k+ various cross country road trips, track days, auto cross events, etc. If you take the time to take care of the Evo it will last, if you beat it to death drive it into the ground go WOT for no reason other than to feel good or show off then your days of fun are numbered. Also It helps to know who built your motor and all the different specs they used during the assembly process. Before you buy it ask questions and get answers based on fact and not assumption. A close friend of mine purchased a used Evo IX SE with a 2.3L done and lots of other useless mods, 3 days later motor went. I'm lucky enough to have not purchased my Evo second , third or fourth hand...tred lightly with buying Evos with built motors...People like to run them into the ground then sell them.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe high RPM is what kills stroker engines. If you want higher-than-stock RPM try to square up rod-to-crank ratio for your build.
Even for a budget build with proper machining and maintenance I think it will last just as long as stock engine if you keep to stock redline.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
I believe high RPM is what kills stroker engines. If you want higher-than-stock RPM try to square up rod-to-crank ratio for your build.
Even for a budget build with proper machining and maintenance I think it will last just as long as stock engine if you keep to stock redline.
I'm with you on the stock redline.