Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Noise

Old May 4, 2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Noise

Been trying to figure out if my transfer case is on its way out or not. Been hearing a small whine as of late. The sound is more of a high pitch whistle then whine. The noise isnt to loud and hasnt gotten any louder seems to only happen in gear while driving. At a stop theres no noise and with clutch engaged the noise goes away. When the tcase is going bad can it be heard in neutral as well as in gear?

Thanks
Old May 4, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I would like to know this too. Mine makes similar noise on between 40-45 mph 5th gear with light throttle. Goes away above or lower speed. More like high pitching sound than whines. What is sign of death whine?
Old May 4, 2011, 08:05 PM

does the noise also happen on decel?
Old May 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rmrEVO
When the tcase is going bad can it be heard in neutral as well as in gear?

Thanks
No matter what gear or neutral, when rolling the tcase is running, when stopped the tcase is stopped.
Old May 4, 2011, 08:23 PM

thanks for the post, just curious when the transfer case if going bad would the whine in neutral be as loud as when the cars accelerating?
Old May 7, 2011, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rmrEVO
thanks for the post, just curious when the transfer case if going bad would the whine in neutral be as loud as when the cars accelerating?
yea it should be cuz the tcase runs with the wheels. In any gear and with clutch engaged and disengaged. Basically youll hear your tcase whine as your car is driving in between a certain speed.

Try it out. if you hear a whine take it out of gear... try engaging the clutch, if its still there its the tcase.

thats my .02 since i did everything above to be sure it was my tcase going out.
Old May 8, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well to be honest if the noise, isnt constant or going up and down with speed, then could it be possible you maybe hearing a walbro whine, which those fuel pumps are known for, if you clutch in the noise goes away, it could be possible you might have either a trans issue or possibly the fluid thats in there might need to be changed, or it might be wrong fluid? Although, my trans make a bit of noise at higher speeds not a lot but some. However Ive got 40k almost 50 k on my trans since i bought my car used, and its been that way since ive had it.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:19 PM

Can the noise still be made if the car is not moving and just by accelerating?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ryuartz
I would like to know this too. Mine makes similar noise on between 40-45 mph 5th gear with light throttle. Goes away above or lower speed. More like high pitching sound than whines. What is sign of death whine?
ive been having the exact same issue ^. sound can only be heard in 5th gear light throttle only. im going to change the fluids soon to see if that gets rid of it, im just about due for a fluid change anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Subd, i have a pretty noticeable whine as well.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

You gotta make sure its not your normal transmission whine, our cars are notorious for freaking us out when it comes to the death whine. Heres a link to what the death whine sounds like from a video I found, its towards the end were you can aprreciate it the most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au8fOnZ1uNQ
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:16 PM

when i was in the market to buy an evo i looked at one and it had very noticable death whine just like in that video. my car sounds nothing like that but my question is does it start out as a slight whine and grow into that loud death whine? how can you know its about to crap out?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have BOTH noises right now, so I'll clarify:

The light, higher-pitched whine that you get only under light load (such as cruising on the highway) but goes away under heavier throttle or decel is the rear diff, and it's making noise for the same reason the t-case makes noise, only that it's not chewing itself up.

The "death whine" starts out quietly at the lower pitch you hear in that video and just gets louder and louder as the wear progresses. They sound totally different, and when (not if ) your t-case goes out you'll know it's that and nothing else, it's a very definitive sound.

The solution for the rear diff whine is to turn up the radio, the solution for the t-case whine is a rebuild or replacement.

Last edited by cmspaz; Nov 27, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

I have a higher pitched whine, only when its in gear. When i put the car in neutral it stops.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

I need some input. I have a whine coming from the front of the car during acceleration, it gets slightly louder as I pick up speed. Then I have another whine when I get up to speed that comes from the rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case Noise