Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AEM BEWARE!!!, Tuners please look, AEM vs Motech vs Microtech

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2003, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM BEWARE!!!, Tuners please look, AEM vs Motech vs Microtech

Ok tuners, wanna-bes techies etc etc...lets keep this clean and keep it going so no one else has to go through the crap that me and SFP.net have been through with AEM...Here is a brief history.. I wanted a nice street fuel (93 octane) car that would put 450 whp down...I went to the guys at SFP.net with my evo and a HKS 3037s kit....they did the rest, head, hks cams,ferrea valves...all the good stuff...and an AEM..well SFP.net is a nationally and internationally known tuner (frank) and they had the first two aem boxes available for the evo. Here are some of the things I didnt know before my car became a test mule.
1. they didnt have a modified evo to test their aem on
2. they didnt do their research
3. they just wanted to release a box to sell to the masses without doing their proper R&D
4. I didnt know my car was a test mule ( I spent alot of money on my motor and I would have told them to go fly a kite)
5. i paid for the aem box and the tuning (shouldnt they pay me to use my car for R&D)
6. their customer service sucks
7. now my HKS 3037s turbo is mysteriously destroyed (could be HKS, could be AEM we will find out soon bt a test mule endires alot of wear and tear wish i knew)

AEM now claims to have finally got all the bugs worked out about the fifth time..also several months) ...I dont believe its fixed the cold start is off and u cant run the car over about 400whp for that I would have modified my car and dynoflashed it...dynoflash works and you dont see entire threads dedicated on how to work the problems out...and if everyone recalls here...i wasnt Al's biggest fan..but im not going to be critical when i see all these happy customers...and also it seems for everyone else in the country FEDEX works fine..but in one week AEM seemed to have had 2 fedex packages get lost (hmmm)..and slow delivery and many many promises and never fixed the problem in the aem...then we were on the dyno and some guy at aem gave frank his cell number and the guy was no where to be found and there we all are sitting tghere and frank is basically doing this guys job and he didnt have the consideration to call him back)finally i heard they got the RMR car in their shop and worked out some of the bugs (another mule? I bet rmr didnt have to pay for tuning and the AEM box) so I decided to do my own research...and I want all of you perfectionsists to know right up front...Im self taught and if im wrong it is pure ignorance and not meant to sound like a know it all...Im just laying out facts as i see them read them and copy them...and I may not be a master tuner or golden mechanic but i can read and make a logical analysis...after my own research. I came across Microtech and Motech...now Motech just seems like another aem except I have to do some surgery to make it work which doesnt make it that appealing.....But Microtech has something interesting to offer...and I may go with this..first of all..Microtech LT8 and LT12 ECU’s are on some of the fastest vehicles in their class ANYWHERE like Jose Torres RX7 Pro Import car which runs sub 7 second times,
The main difference between Microtech and other ECU’s is its pre-configured setup which means there is no modifying of sensors, no user setup no guesswork and no mistakes. Each ECU is programmed with the ignition configuration and base map for the vehicles standard sensors upon ordering. (AHEM AEM)
A wiring diagram for the specific engine type and sensors, labelled wiring loom, pinout diagram and colour coded wires mean that installation is almost step by step instructed all the way and hard to make a mistake
So how does it eliminate the amount of amps the coil draws as it goes up in rpms? the evo coil draws 5 amps until 7200 then it jumps to 15
which destroys the drivers in the aem..
the Microtech unit for the EVO has a board that it designed specifically for the EVO8,7,6, and so on. Each series has it's own board that controls the amperage and they hand build each one. They also fully test their units before they release anything
that is what happens when you use a board and chip that are designed to be universal, NOT built for that exact vehicle like the Microtech unit is
one thing you should know on the Microtech unit also, you can choose when you hit the revlimiter if you want a soft cut or a hard cut,, nice to have that choice (could blow up a turbo that way) please lets have a true tech discussion here

PS in no way is this a flame of SFP.net frank is a great guy real nice and super knowledgeable...these guys have done all they can and have been given alot of empty promises by aem...and i feel worse for them thabn I do myself...I highly recomend them as a tuner...one of the best for sure and this comes from a customer whose car isnt running right...that says alot...I just know where responsibility lays and ive been there every step of the way)
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the world of greed.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know if you've heard of or considered the Autronic ECU. It was just recently released and is plug-and-play for the US Evo 8.

http://www.autronic.com/
http://www.aussieimportsllc.com/
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:20 AM
Account Disabled

Pesto - so are you saying that AEM did not get that new unit to Frank on Friday to test????

I didn;t mention it before - but the cold start does suck ! And if your down in Florida and having problems then imagine what its like up north !

Lets sum up the AEM EMS problems

1 - Misfires on high boost / high whp - blew up Pesto's turbo

2 - Bad rev limiter - makes explosions in exhuast - blew up me head

3 - Cold start problems

4 - Poor customer service - bad call backs - NO Response to posts on their web site - - they never responded to this Thread - - http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewto...?p=37468#37468

5 - No in house test Evo to check product on before it ships

6 - relying on outside tuners to do r & D - all of which are ion compeitition with each other and unwilling to disclose info to others and answer general questions unless you buy the units from them

I personally like the AEM unit a lot and hope they are able to fic all these issues in a timely fashion

At some point I think compensation for people who have things breaking should be dicussed also

Last edited by DynoFlash; Dec 21, 2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:24 AM
In Timeout

Bummer. Best of luck. I had to sell my AEM due to tuition increases. I'm sure they will get these problems straightened out.

Although if you have the cash...go crazy! Get the Motech with the dash! That would be a SICK street car.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by iodine23
I don't know if you've heard of or considered the Autronic ECU. It was just recently released and is plug-and-play for the US Evo 8.

http://www.autronic.com/
http://www.aussieimportsllc.com/
Trust when when I say that the AEM is 1,000 times better than the Autronic

The problems I had with the Autronic were 10'xs worse and the customer support consisted of being yelled at and screamed at - them telling me I was a jerk who dont know what I am doing

The autronic does have a great ignition set up - no missfires even up to 575 whp - thats how I know the AEM ignition is bad

BUT - the autronic does have issues with compensation from differnt air temps - the tunes gets thrown off - you tune for 70 degress and when it drops to 50 your tune is way out of wack

The guys in australia yell at me telling me the estimated charge temp correction tables the US autronic guys loaded are all wrong - - but the new table has zero effect

The guys in the US tell you in the instructions to install the air temp sensor in the intercooler pipe - BUT - - the guys in Australia say it will only work properly when its in the intake manifold

Finally - I had to cut traces on the board with an exacto knife - (why they didnt do it - I dont know) and then they yell at me when I cut it too far and screw up the ground on the board

Also - the cold start is even worse than the AEM

It does not have as many features as the AEM nor is the logging and softwear as good

Also - in order to auto tune you need to buy one of their overpriced o2 sesnsors

I paid $1550 on the autronic and sold it at a loss a few weeks back for $1000

They dont have a satisfaction guarantee - that is for sure

PS - it came loaded with an Evo 6 base map which had the fan relays disabled so I blew my head gasket as I was sitting in my driveway trying to dial in the idel - - of course that also was my fault as I am a jerk - I should have realized the map loaded into the ecu was for a evo 6 with no fans !

A unit like the autronic makes me yearn for the LINK which I used on my WRX and which was basically trouble free and easy to use - - I set it once and drove it for months

Last edited by DynoFlash; Dec 21, 2003 at 10:31 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DynoFlash
Pesto - so are you saying that AEM did not get that new unit to Frank on Friday to test????

I didn;t mention it before - but the cold start does suck ! And if your down in Florida and having problems then imagine what its like up north !

Lets sum up the AEM EMS problems

1 - Misfires on high boost / high whp - blew up Pesto's turbo

2 - Bad rev limiter - makes explosions in exhuast - blew up me head

3 - Cold start problems

4 - Poor customer service - bad call backs - NO Response to posts on their web site

5 - No in house test Evo to check product on before it ships

6 - relying on outside tuners to do r & D - all of which are ion compeitition with each other and unwilling to disclose info to others and answer general questions unless you buy the units from them

I personally like the AEM unit a lot and hope they are able to fic all these issues in a timely fashion

At some point I think compensation for people who have things breaking should be dicussed also
They go it out to him...they also got a bunch of others out to him as well that never worked...Im not sure it works we blue up the turbo and my car did backfire real bad once) Im not sure they even got that all done...I agree with you on the benefits of the AEM...but...lets say the Autronic or Microtec offer all of that and more? Im not familiar with the Autronic...but the microtech seems to have it all and then some...and I think its also a faster processor and they seem to have the ignition issues figured...on the RX7 boards these guys are considered gods...also these guys have been doing evo stand alones since there were evos...seems aem just woke up, decided to use their universal widget and test it on whoever buys it...and let guys like frank waste entire weeks figuring these things out...I really dont know how frank(sfp.net) has been so nice and even tempered about this...

ALSO...if im not mistaken I think the autronic is another universal unit like motech and aem....I may be wrong...Im emailing this thread to microtech to see if they will join in
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
Get the Motech with the dash! That would be a SICK street car.
whut dat? pics details?
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:34 AM

Hello All. I am new to posting on this forum but after reading about the problems with the AEM unit i felt I would add something. I have been doing rotary cars for over 22 years and when the turbo craze caught on we were pushing the envelope. as the turbo boost pressures increased on the rotarys we started experiencing ignition blow out and had to find new ways to get past that specific problem. Most of the time it was with a high end CDI unit but even with that as we passed 30 PSI we started to have problems again. When the stand alone systems emerged all of them were geared twords piston powered vehicles and low boost pressures so there were no real problems and everybody loved them. But for the rotary crowed the units were still not putting out the spark controll we needed. It seems to me that the piston crowed is now able to reach high boost pressures and running into the same problems we have had in the past. So now the companies building these units will have to rework there thinking and get up to speed on the ignition side to stop this. In the past i have had serious problems with units flaking out at high RPM and high boost and trashing a motor and even missfiring so hard that it caused a high pressure pulse in the intake and it stalled the inlet compressor wheel causing the nut to come loose which in turn a few minutes later trashed my turbo. I now run the MicroTech unit on all my rotary cars and have more bottom end grunt than i ever experienced with other units and the ease of tuning is great. So everybody understands i am really glad to see the EVO group pushing the envelope of there motors and I am very impressed with the HP results and of coarse the reliability of the motors . I believe AEM owes you guys some answers.

MAX
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:40 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by maxrotor
Hello All. I am new to posting on this forum but after reading about the problems with the AEM unit i felt I would add something. I have been doing rotary cars for over 22 years and when the turbo craze caught on we were pushing the envelope. as the turbo boost pressures increased on the rotarys we started experiencing ignition blow out and had to find new ways to get past that specific problem. Most of the time it was with a high end CDI unit but even with that as we passed 30 PSI we started to have problems again. When the stand alone systems emerged all of them were geared twords piston powered vehicles and low boost pressures so there were no real problems and everybody loved them. But for the rotary crowed the units were still not putting out the spark controll we needed. It seems to me that the piston crowed is now able to reach high boost pressures and running into the same problems we have had in the past. So now the companies building these units will have to rework there thinking and get up to speed on the ignition side to stop this. In the past i have had serious problems with units flaking out at high RPM and high boost and trashing a motor and even missfiring so hard that it caused a high pressure pulse in the intake and it stalled the inlet compressor wheel causing the nut to come loose which in turn a few minutes later trashed my turbo. I now run the MicroTech unit on all my rotary cars and have more bottom end grunt than i ever experienced with other units and the ease of tuning is great. So everybody understands i am really glad to see the EVO group pushing the envelope of there motors and I am very impressed with the HP results and of coarse the reliability of the motors . I believe AEM owes you guys some answers.

MAX
Good input !

Just to clarify - I made 535 whp on my Dyno Flash reflash on stock ecu - attached dyno sheet with ZERO misfire

and 575 whp on a autronic pnp board with stock ignition

Both these runs were on high boost with nos

The issue is the AEM set up is not working good with the stock ignition and not up to a high hp application - which ironically is what most AEM users are going to run - not stock cars

I know AEM is aware of the problem - they are working on it - its the lack of communication with us and update that is annoying

The way they are treating us is like they think all their customers are 17 year old zit faced punks - as they told me

I may have to consider an aftermarket ignition - but after seeing the autronic can work with the stock parts - I rather not play with it is all that is required is a upgrade from aem on their boards

BTW - I am serial number 003 - whats your serial # Pesto???
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:41 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Pesto360

whut dat? pics details?
juzt look on the motec web site - I cant j\ustify spending 10,000 on a ecu set up on a 30,00 car - thats silly
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by maxrotor

MAX
Maxrotor thank you for coming here from the rx7 forums...I want to see if I in fact had the same problems with my turbo exploding on meand sending little pieces of metal into my intercooler

I just got an email back...the retail price on the microtech is 800 bucks...someone with a microtech on an evo please post or if anyone knows of anyone lets fish them out and see if they are running high boost
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:42 AM
In Timeout

Pesto: The dash is an LCD Dash made by Motech. Its what the racecars run. I'll look for pics. Its very expensive.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Re: AEM BEWARE!!!, Tuners please look, AEM vs Motech vs Microtech

Originally posted by Pesto360
Ok tuners, wanna-bes techies etc etc...lets keep this clean and keep it going so no one else has to go through the crap that me and SFP.net have been through with AEM...Here is a brief history.. I wanted a nice street fuel (93 octane) car that would put 450 whp down...I went to the guys at SFP.net with my evo and a HKS 3037s kit....they did the rest, head, hks cams,ferrea valves...all the good stuff...and an AEM..well SFP.net is a nationally and internationally known tuner (frank) and they had the first two aem boxes available for the evo. Here are some of the things I didnt know before my car became a test mule.
1. they didnt have a modified evo to test their aem on
2. they didnt do their research
3. they just wanted to release a box to sell to the masses without doing their proper R&D
4. I didnt know my car was a test mule ( I spent alot of money on my motor and I would have told them to go fly a kite)
5. i paid for the aem box and the tuning (shouldnt they pay me to use my car for R&D)
6. their customer service sucks
7. now my HKS 3037s turbo is mysteriously destroyed (could be HKS, could be AEM we will find out soon bt a test mule endires alot of wear and tear wish i knew)

AEM now claims to have finally got all the bugs worked out about the fifth time..also several months) ...I dont believe its fixed the cold start is off and u cant run the car over about 400whp for that I would have modified my car and dynoflashed it...dynoflash works and you dont see entire threads dedicated on how to work the problems out...and if everyone recalls here...i wasnt Al's biggest fan..but im not going to be critical when i see all these happy customers...and also it seems for everyone else in the country FEDEX works fine..but in one week AEM seemed to have had 2 fedex packages get lost (hmmm)..and slow delivery and many many promises and never fixed the problem in the aem...then we were on the dyno and some guy at aem gave frank his cell number and the guy was no where to be found and there we all are sitting tghere and frank is basically doing this guys job and he didnt have the consideration to call him back)finally i heard they got the RMR car in their shop and worked out some of the bugs (another mule? I bet rmr didnt have to pay for tuning and the AEM box) so I decided to do my own research...and I want all of you perfectionsists to know right up front...Im self taught and if im wrong it is pure ignorance and not meant to sound like a know it all...Im just laying out facts as i see them read them and copy them...and I may not be a master tuner or golden mechanic but i can read and make a logical analysis...after my own research. I came across Microtech and Motech...now Motech just seems like another aem except I have to do some surgery to make it work which doesnt make it that appealing.....But Microtech has something interesting to offer...and I may go with this..first of all..Microtech LT8 and LT12 ECU’s are on some of the fastest vehicles in their class ANYWHERE like Jose Torres RX7 Pro Import car which runs sub 7 second times,
The main difference between Microtech and other ECU’s is its pre-configured setup which means there is no modifying of sensors, no user setup no guesswork and no mistakes. Each ECU is programmed with the ignition configuration and base map for the vehicles standard sensors upon ordering. (AHEM AEM)
A wiring diagram for the specific engine type and sensors, labelled wiring loom, pinout diagram and colour coded wires mean that installation is almost step by step instructed all the way and hard to make a mistake
So how does it eliminate the amount of amps the coil draws as it goes up in rpms? the evo coil draws 5 amps until 7200 then it jumps to 15
which destroys the drivers in the aem..
the Microtech unit for the EVO has a board that it designed specifically for the EVO8,7,6, and so on. Each series has it's own board that controls the amperage and they hand build each one. They also fully test their units before they release anything
that is what happens when you use a board and chip that are designed to be universal, NOT built for that exact vehicle like the Microtech unit is
one thing you should know on the Microtech unit also, you can choose when you hit the revlimiter if you want a soft cut or a hard cut,, nice to have that choice (could blow up a turbo that way) please lets have a true tech discussion here

PS in no way is this a flame of SFP.net frank is a great guy real nice and super knowledgeable...these guys have done all they can and have been given alot of empty promises by aem...and i feel worse for them thabn I do myself...I highly recomend them as a tuner...one of the best for sure and this comes from a customer whose car isnt running right...that says alot...I just know where responsibility lays and ive been there every step of the way)
Welcome to the world of mechanics and tuners.
Most tuners will sell you a fake racing dream and void your warrenty.
They will take you for all of your money if they can.
Learn to work on your own car.

Good luck on your car I wish the best for a fellow evo owner. Please beware of scams.

http://www.CarPhoto.net
Old Dec 21, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DynoFlash

BTW - I am serial number 003 - whats your serial # Pesto???
Al...Id love nothing more than to go into my garage, and pull up that serial number...I drove my car for a total of...oh id say...about 1/4 mile before the aem went to **** on me ...kinda sad...

I think we need all the tuners to come on this board and really discuss which is best so no one else goes through what we have

Quick Reply: AEM BEWARE!!!, Tuners please look, AEM vs Motech vs Microtech