Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning

DISCLAIMER: This was just one test performed by one person. If you dont like or believe the results, please perform your own testing.

MBC TESTING

First and foremost, Id like to thank PROJECT SKYLINE and GRIMMSPEED for supplying MBCs for testing. Without your help, I wouldn't have been able to perform the testing. THANK YOU GUYS.

I have always been interested in doing some MBC testing and recently got the chance. I tested the FORGE UNOS, the Grimmspeed MBC, the Hallman MBC and the Buschur Racing Inline MBC.

Testing Procedure

- All runs were perform within one hour*. Weather conditions were consistent for the whole hour. Approx 75* (*Buschur testing happened the next day. Temp was also 75* and conditions were the same as the day before.)

- All runs were done in 3rd gear. For each run, the logger would be started while the car was at 3300-3500RPM, then I would let the car decel to 3000RPM, then I would go WOT. I did this so that the spooling testing was equal.

Test Car - 04 RS, Stock block/head, FP Black w/ FP 25psi WGA, HKS 280 cams, BR ported exhaust mani & intake mani, Mil.spec 65mm TB, WORKS 3" O2 & DP, BR TP & Catback, FORGE RS DV, SpoolingUp COP, ETC LICP, UCIP & 3.8" garret IC, FIC 1050s, Walbro

--THE DATA--

I used an OMNI 4 bar MAP sensor to log data. Target boost was 27PSI. I set each MBC as close to 27.0 as possible then took 3 runs. Below is the data of what RPM it hit 20psi at, peak boost and RPM it was reached at and boost at 7000RPM

I then took the best spooling run of each MBC and plotted the data.

Then I took the run with the least taper (ie highest psi @7KRPM) for each MBC, then plotted the data.

Attached Thumbnails MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning-mbcs.jpg   MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning-mbc-best-spool.png   MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning-mbc-least-taper.png   MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning-mbc-data.png  

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; May 13, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:45 PM
Former Sponsor

OPINIONS ON DESIGN & FEATURES:

FORGE UNOS: A great MBC, I like the design. Has a ratcheting knob, so you can count how many "clicks" your at. I like the mounting options, as it comes with both a vertical mount and a horizontal mount.

Grimmspeed MBC: Another great MBC. Like the design too. Also as a ratcheting knob, and while the "clicks" aren't as precise as the FORGE, there is more levels of adjustment/resolution (Approx 250 "clicks" compared the FORGE's approx 80 "clicks"). Also has level lines on the side of the unit, to help you know "where your at" when it comes to adjustment. Only comes with a vertical mount, so less mounting options then the FORGE, but does include vacuum hose, hardware and even zip-ties. The most complete MBC I have seen.

Hallman: Great MBC. The design is good too. I really dislike the mount they include though. It seems to have the least options when it comes to mounting. Also knob doesn't ratchet ie "click", so you dont have anyway to count/know "where your at".

Buschur Inline MBC: The MBC is solid, but I dont really prefer the design. Being that it is "inline", when adjusting boost, the vac lines twist too. Also, seems to have NO mounting options and is just suppose to "hang there". Doesnt "click", but does have line markings so you know "where your at".

CONCLUSION:

Based on my data, it seems that the FORGE and the Buschur Inline perform the best, spooling the fastest and holding boost the best. Seems that the Hallman spools the slowest and holds boost the worst. In my opinion, my favorite two MBCs are the Grimmspeed and the FORGE. You can't go wrong with either one of them in my opinion. The Buschur is a great MBC that performs exceptionally, but I would like to see a mounting option. The Hallman needs a better mounting option and also needs a reference for "where your at" (Clicks, lines, both).

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; May 12, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the forge mbc and I like it. I heard the soft spring is only good to about 35psi though
Old May 12, 2011, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info.

*side note* Like to see how a cheap homemade one stacks up to these.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice testing, was the Hallman MBC tested with the soft or hard sping? I assume the hard one.

In my setup I currently have the Hallman with hard spring totally maxed (canīt boost more unless I play with WGA tension) but I like the way the peak boost is controlled, so another question is if the Grimmspeed would allow me to boost more than the Hallman without changing anything else.

Thanks for your input and taking the time to do the tests,

Ricardo
Old May 12, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Great info.

Spool characteristics seem about even, do you plan on doing any testing above these current psi levels?
Old May 12, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for doing this test Jay. I have the Hallman and love it.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice test sir...Like someone else asked, was the Hallman tested with the steel ball & stiff spring? I am assuming all of these are used MBCs and not new?? I had a Forge MBC on my car for 2 yrs or so, while on the dyno I swapped to a Hallman Pro RX (with stiff spring & steel ball) and was able to hold boost much better up to 2psi+...
Old May 12, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not being a dick but I think I "warned" you in the other thread about making sure you checked our BC first. As soon as I saw the pictures, without reading the thread, I knew there was going to be a problem. Who in the world bottomed the controller out to 100 psi before even installing it? Where's it's adjusted in the picture would give you some CRAZY high boost and probably damage the spring. I should have just sent you one, I wish you had asked.

The vacuum lines...........oh boy that always kills me. You take one side of the vacuum line off, adjust and put it back on, then it CAN NOT change. Each one of the lines on the BC represent 1 psi and it's extremely accurate, which beats counting clicks that represent nothing at all......

It's a shame.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I'm not being a dick but I think I "warned" you in the other thread about making sure you checked our BC first. As soon as I saw the pictures, without reading the thread, I knew there was going to be a problem. Who in the world bottomed the controller out to 100 psi before even installing it? Where's it's adjusted in the picture would give you some CRAZY high boost and probably damage the spring. I should have just sent you one, I wish you had asked.

The vacuum lines...........oh boy that always kills me. You take one side of the vacuum line off, adjust and put it back on, then it CAN NOT change. Each one of the lines on the BC represent 1 psi and it's extremely accurate, which beats counting clicks that represent nothing at all......

It's a shame.
That would be the seller that sold it to my boss brand new. I wasn't happy when jay said there was a problem with it.

I talked to him last night though and thinks its ok. Should know today if it worked and he got some testing data on it. If the problem persists I'm going to call you guys and hopefully you can sell me a new spring.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

+1, counting clicks is

I remember reading in another thread about this from you a couple years back, great design; sad people didn't know how to properly use it. I like that the buschur mbc has the feature which no other's have, that allows you to "lock" the mbc in place so you can't accidently have a buddy/your arm whatever, accidently move it.

btw, had a hallman, it was hell trying to see what kind of boost I was at. Literally had to floor the car, sweet...sometimes I swear it would be inconsistent "twists", like it wouldn't always be a quarter turn to go back from my race gas to pump map, or whatever, it's been a couple years now

Last edited by MOREPSiTEHBETT4; May 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I hope the seller wasn't one of our dealers! Send me that BC and let me put new parts in it, no charge and I'll send it back. I'd like to be in on the test as I haven't found a controller yet that works better and I'd like to see you guys see the same thing.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RJSP
Nice testing, was the Hallman MBC tested with the soft or hard sping? I assume the hard one.

In my setup I currently have the Hallman with hard spring totally maxed (canīt boost more unless I play with WGA tension) but I like the way the peak boost is controlled, so another question is if the Grimmspeed would allow me to boost more than the Hallman without changing anything else.

Thanks for your input and taking the time to do the tests,

Ricardo
I do not know the specific of the Hallman. I "think" its a Hallman RX, with ceramic ball. Project Skyline provided the Hallman.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Nice test sir...Like someone else asked, was the Hallman tested with the steel ball & stiff spring? I am assuming all of these are used MBCs and not new?? I had a Forge MBC on my car for 2 yrs or so, while on the dyno I swapped to a Hallman Pro RX (with stiff spring & steel ball) and was able to hold boost much better up to 2psi+...
The FORGE is my personal one and is a couple years old. The Grimmspeed was brand new and provided by grimmspeed. The Hallman and the BR were provided by Project Skyline. He said the BR was new but didnt mention the age of the Hallman.

It's a shame.
Dave, the MBC was sent to me tightened all the way. I did loosen it when doing testing. And I did open it as you requested and made sure the O-ring was okay and that the flat part of the spring was seated against the ball. I was gonna call you and go over the testing, but it was 5pm PST and I assumed you wouldn't be at the shop.

Next, on the vacuum lines. I zip tie ALL my vacuum lines so I cant just pull off the vac line for adjustment.

You may not like counting "clicks" but it has always been consistent and an accurate way of getting back to my target boost for me.

I hope the seller wasn't one of our dealers! Send me that BC and let me put new parts in it, no charge and I'll send it back. I'd like to be in on the test as I haven't found a controller yet that works better and I'd like to see you guys see the same thing.
I will be revisiting the BR MBC today and making it work and adding the data to the test. If I have another issue, I will be giving you a call tomorrow and shipping you the MBC.

Im really interested in the data, as it seems like a very solid MBC.

Sorry for the inconvenience .

Last edited by Boosted Tuning; May 12, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:31 PM

You're saying that you can damage your boost controller's spring by adjusting it to your max adjusment setting? With the GrimmSpeed manual boost controller, you can adjust it to the max boost setting and then back to a lower boost setting without damaging the spring as many times as you like.

Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4

+1, counting clicks is

I remember reading in another thread about this from you a couple years back, great design; sad people didn't know how to properly use it. I like that the buschur mbc has the feature which no other's have, that allows you to "lock" the mbc in place so you can't accidently have a buddy/your arm whatever, accidently move it.
I'm not sure what the issue is with counting clicks. Have you tried ours? Each click of our manual boost controller equates to a 1/4 psi and it is extremely repeatable. With the clicks, you don't have to guess if you are at a 1/4 turn or a 1/2 turn or 3/8 of a turn. We also have a scale on the side to know exactly which setting you are at. Our adjustment range has 256 clicks, so you get a huge range to hit all of your boost targets regardless of your application or goals and without changing out your spring! The adjustment will never change because of our dual ball detent system which holds your setting even if you bump the controller.

Thanks,
-Chad
Old May 12, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Yours looks like a complicated mess.....just my opinion. Ours is incremented and clearly marked, each line, 1/4 turn is 1 psi. There is NO need to bottom ours out like in the picture because in reality if you installed it like that you'd have 100 psi of boost, so I don't honestly know if it would damage it or not, since they had problems I assumed it's damaged. Looks like Forged beat the Grimspeed to me from the testing.....just saying. Have anything else to add?

Quick Reply: MBC Testing by Boosted Tuning