Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Unique Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Unique Clutch Problem

Hey guys , I searched and could not find the solution to my problem so I started this thread to hear your thoughts:

A few months ago I had an Act XTSS Clutch installed with resurfaced stock flywheel. After breaking it in a bit, the clutch handled wonderfully. Grabs hard and consistently with close to stock pedal feel. However, after careful inspection I've noticed something different.

My stock clutch, like many other evos, had the natural chatter of tob noise when the clutch was released while the car was parked in neutral,, and when you pushed the clutch in, the noise would go away because the clutch fork would do its job by pushing the tob away from the pressure plate so that you could shift gears smoothly. That stock clutch was perfect.

However, ever since i had the act clutch installed, that clutch chatter would not go away when the clutch pedal was pushed in. This leaves me to believe that the tob is not separating from the pressure plate when the clutch is pushed in. I had a friend push the clutch pedal in and the clutch fork functions properly, however, the noise still remains. The strange part of the story is, when I push the clutch in, and shift into gear, the noise goes away, even without releasing the clutch pedal yet. Its almost as if the synchros are doing the job of pushing the tob away from the pressure plate.

Are the synchros being overworked in this case ?? Could it be that the clutch fork has separated from the tob?? Are they even supposed to be attached to each other ?

Now the noise is not an issue for me, but i do want to know if any harm is being done to my transmission. When my transmission is cold, i have to shift into second before reverse, but once its warm, i have zero problems with it whatsoever. I don't even have the 7k rpm lock out that many people have with act clutches.

Additional info:
Already tried adjusting clutch pedal.

Thanks for your help guys, i know there's a thousand threads on different trans noises, but this one is just weird.
Old May 17, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
In cars like the Evo with a pull type clutch, the throw out bearing is attached to the pressure plate which means it is spinning anytime the engine is running. So there is ample opportunity for the throw out bearing to rattle.

If you can shift normally you should be okay. Sorry about the noise.

Last edited by barneyb; May 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 17, 2011, 10:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
In cars like the Evo with a pull type clutch, the throw out bearing is attached to the pressure plate which means it is spinning anytime the engine is running. So there is ample opportunity for the throw out bearing to rattle.

If you can shift normally you should be okay. Sorry about the noise.
Sweet! so basically what i am experiencing is normal for this clutch ? I just want to make sure there's no issue with the install.