Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4th gear grinding when downshift.. whats the problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gear grinding when downshift.. whats the problem?

Hey guys, im gonna try and explain this as good as i can, so i hope you guys can comprehend what im saying.

Basically, i have this really annoying problem with my evo 7. Everytime i try to downshift from 5th to 4th gear, it grinds whilst im putting it in 4th... and its a REALLY havey grinding noise, it doesnt even go to 4th unless you force it down through the grindind sound ( you even feel the shifter grinding/vibrating). Now, let me say, if im on 3rd gear, accelerate and shift to 4th, it go;s no problem. The only time it occurs is when the shifter is on neutral or i down shift from 5th to 4th, it grinds like hell and wont let me put it on 4th unless i jam it down. ALL the other gears upshift and downshift perfect. Now, sometimes what i do, is from 5th gear i put it to 3rd then pull down the shifter back to 4th, and it works but only if im going fast enough for the rpms to be at 3-4k rpms. If i do the same trick and the car is moving relatively slow ( where the rpm on 4th would be like 2-3k rpm, it still grinds. But like i said, from 5th directly to 4th it always grinds, no matter what speed, and even from neutral to 4th if im going at any speed good enough to shift to 4th, it will grind. The only time it shifts to 4th gear basically, is if i am on 3rd gear, and going over 3k rpms and shift it down to 4th.

Having all of this said, can you guys help me figure out what exactly i can do to get rid of this ridiculously loud and annoying grinding??? is it that i need a new tranny or??
Old Jun 8, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Well it seems a little odd....at first i just would have said sycro's are the issue....but if it only happens in that fashion, might have something to do with a bent shift fork or something.

Eitherway it sounds like its rebuild time for the trans....sorry.