Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GTX3076R RevHard Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
GTX3076R RevHard Conversion

Well, I had spent most of the weekend trying to begin fab of my TS setup using a 1.06 T4 TS housing for the new turbo. Because of the length of the custom 321SS merge collector I would need to replace the radiator to move the upper radiator hose over to the driver's side. Therefore, for now I will claim defeat. I will most likely revisit this effort next year with a short runner manifold like I fabricated for the TTZR1 project I worked several years back.

So that I could claim partial victory for time wasted I decided to go ahead and run the RevHard manifold. This has been collecting dust along with the 0.82a/r housing for the GTX3076R for several years. This update will be a work in progress as I had to order a bunch of parts over the weekend to finish the downpipe as well as the other odds and ends for the conversion.

I like the RevHard setup for its simplicity and reliability and I am not advocating this is the best all around setup, but hopefully a good bang for the buck.

Initial pics are of the RevHard manifold mounted with the GTX3076r(.82a/r). I have a few Tial 44's from my abandoned RB project so I ordered the 38mm to 44mm conversion flange from ATP. It is just setting on top of the manifold for now. You can see I removed the DS fan as you must use a SlimLine fan due to compressor housing clearance issues.

The turbine housing is a standard T31 4-bolt that is a 2.5" outlet. I ordered a tight radius 2.5" SS mandrel for the outlet and then ordered a 2.5"-3" transition to run 3" once suitable clearance can be achieved. I don't think this will present an issue and I should be able to transition after the 90deg bend off the turbine housing.

I went ahead and fabricated the new lower IC pipe as I do my own fabrication in the garage with the Synchrowave 250 TIG.

I also started in the custom inlet, but am waiting for a 3" mandrel bent aluminum pipe to finish. I took an HKS intake and cut it where the pipe was 3" in diameter and used the 4" end on the turbo inlet side. It will really be an easy setup to fab and gives a nice smooth transition from 3" to 4". I will have to cut off the old bungs, weld on new bungs and weld a pipe for the BOV return, but that is fairly simple.

The parts will hopefully arrive by Friday and I can finish the setup over the weekend in preparation for coating. I will send the turbine housing and exhaust manifold to ATPWrap.com for their killer custom inconel heat shields and then the remaining parts will be off for coating.

Once it is complete I will entrust the tune to a fellow Megan Street Coilover fan, Tom, at VR-Speed so he can work his magic.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cast manifolds def have some advantages. I wish i could get a slowboy cast manifold. Those are nice.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi 240Z, mind to share where you bought yr exhaust manifold and what the price?

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I purchased many years back, but I think they can be had for ~$200 or less.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just ordered a evo 5 radiator from mishimoto and it has the top coolant neck moved over to the driverside and gives alot more room.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE

The materials I ordered did not arrive today and are scheduled to arrive Monday of next week. Therefore, I am unable to fabricate the new downpipe, wastegate return, and turbo inlet this weekend. I did receive the new 12" fan along with the 2.5" to 3.0" SS transition so it will make a nice paper weight until next week.

Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

Although my parts did not arrive to run the downpipe from the turbo I went ahead and started on the downipe from the back forward. I used the ebay downpipe I had purchased, but never used. I chopped and then started working forward around the ACD as I have a IX. This was pretty easy so I struggle to understand why most downpipes require a hammer to clear the ACD. I don't purge the pipes, but use Solar Flux B, which is why you see the grayish/black on the inside of the pipes.

Old Jul 9, 2011, 08:17 PM
Account Disabled

quiter! sounds like you had a pretty sick build going. It isn't too late to continue and sell your revhard to buy a mishimoto radiator.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

I received the remainder of the parts so I decided to start with the intake. A bit more of a task than I thought and I have to send back the hump hoses for some straight coupling. I have to grind off the bungs and weld on new bungs so that I am done. Then clean up the inside and off to get powder coated black wrinkle.

Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:23 AM

Which 1.06 T4 t/s GT30 housing are ya using?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

^
My turbo guy takes a raw Garrett casting and cuts it for the GT30R turbine wheel.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

Started on the downpipe and have made quick progress. The downpipe is 2.5" off the turbo and then after the bend it transitions to 3". I need to weld on the o2 bung and eventually tie into the exhaust. Going forward I will most likely remove the manifold from the car and fabricate the wastegate dump to tie into the downpipe.

Old Jul 13, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
UPDATE:

Started on the downpipe and have made quick progress. The downpipe is 2.5" off the turbo and then after the bend it transitions to 3". I need to weld on the o2 bung and eventually tie into the exhaust. Going forward I will most likely remove the manifold from the car and fabricate the wastegate dump to tie into the downpipe.

Great Sharing...+1
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

Started on the wastegate, but tungsten got too short so I have to get more to fill that awkward spot. Should only need a few more hours to finish so hopefully I can have all the fabrication done by the end of the weekend.

Quick Reply: GTX3076R RevHard Conversion