Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 GSR Oil/fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 GSR Oil/fluid Change

It's about time to have a big oil/fluid change for my Evo 9.
However after going through various sources and even the manual...I am puzzled by what oil I should get for the parts...
1. Engine Oil - I am fine with that
2. Gearbox Oil - DiaQueen GL-3 75w-80, obtain from Mitsubishi Dealer
3. Tranfer Oil - Is it the AYC oil or LSD?
4. Rear Diff oil - AYC oil as above?
5. ACD Fluid - Diamond ATF SP III, obtain from MItsubishi Dealer
My main concern is about 3 and 4...are they using LSD or AYC oil as shown below?

Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The only source for this information that I found to be accurate is this website in the fluids sticky.

Almost every online retailer has there description wrong for what the oil should be used for...
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
What transmission do you have?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:39 PM
EvoM Community Team

Transfercase: Mitsubishi OEM GL5 LSD Gear Oil Diaqueen (Part #3775610) If you run anything other than OEM in your transfercase, you'll be replacing it.

Rear Diff: Redline 80W140 GL-5 Gear Oil is highly recommended, but you can also use Mitsubishi OEM GL5 LSD. That's what Mitsubishi recommends.

Transmission: If you have a 5 speed use Redline MT-85.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by golgo13
Transfercase: Mitsubishi OEM GL5 LSD Gear Oil Diaqueen (Part #3775610) If you run anything other than OEM in your transfercase, you'll be replacing it.

Rear Diff: Redline 80W140 GL-5 Gear Oil is highly recommended, but you can also use Mitsubishi OEM GL5 LSD. That's what Mitsubishi recommends.

I have a 6-speed, so should I use GL-4?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by hatakashi
I have a 6-speed, so should I use GL-4?
Yep!

75W85 GL-4

Diaqueen Transmission Oil is the OEM 75W85 GL-4 transmission fluid that Mitsubishi calls for in the 03-06 Evolution's service manual. Diaqueen is recommended for 5-speed Evos, and is required in the 6-speed Evo MR. Diaqueen Transmission Oil and Diaqueen LSD Oil are not the same thing and are not interchangeable.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:04 PM

Yep!

75W85 GL-4

Thanks man, then what about the AYC oil? Is that for my AYC gearbox? Should I change it too?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:29 PM
EvoM Community Team

We don't have the AYC in the US but a quick search here reveals:

Originally Posted by jemm
For the AYC Hydraulic fluid contained in the boot resovoir

Checking the levels :

1. Inspect the fluid with a syringe, draw out some and place it in a clear glass container or test tube is it VERY dirty? If so have it replaced (see #4)

2. Stop the vehicle, leave it for 90mins to allow the levels to rise (i.e. for the ayc accumulator pressure to drop),

3. If AFTER 90 mins, the levels are less than the minimum add some Mitsubishi ATF - SPIII to top it up.

4. Drawing out the fluid with a syringe and replacing makes no sense as you will not be getting rid of most of the fluid in the pump system, go to your dealer and have them flush through some new fluid with the aid of the Mut -II/III diagnostic computer or the very secret manual technique.

You don't need to bleed your ayc hydraulic system unless the fluid is dirty beyond belief or one has done work on the pump / hoses etc. Do not believe the hype, you don't have to do it every 4500Kms. This bleeding the ayc hydralic system ever 4500 has never been posted in any service manual or bulletin .... its a $$ making scheme by those UK dealers if you ask me...

here is a sample of my ATF after 18,000KMs .... crystal clear (i know i can't take photos... but you get the idea ) :

Name:  cf70c99d.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  91.7 KB

Originally Posted by jemm
Now here is where it gets hard. I say HARD because unless you have the small hands and patience of Baby Jesus, getting access to the AYC Fill plug on the 7 & 8 is very hard..... *it will cause you to cuss *

The fill hole is a 17mm plug located high on top of the diff, this area is blocked by the rear diff crossmember..

Test to see if you can pull the fill plug and refit it, if not then DO NOT pull the drain plug, take it to the dealer and have them do it

Fluid :

Evo 7 : 0.7 L
Evo 8 : 0.55 L

of Mitsu ATF-spIII
(this is the same fluid that mitsu uses in their Auto trannies of all their cars, so you should be able to get it at the dealer). Although some people use Honda power steering fluid or AMSOIL ATF in place of the SPIII, I would stick to the Mitsu fluid as its cheap and readily available at any mitsu dealership.

The purpose of the this fluid is to bathe the clutch packs (ayc uses a wet clutch system) and so prevent premature clutch wear. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF AYC MAINTENANCE.
There is some controversy as to what is the official service interval. With hard use change it every 5000miles, otherwise every 18,000. In the early days of the Evo 4, when some of them had faulty ayc ECUs that fried the clutches, increased the service interval to 4500. With the new generation of ayc cars, it is said that will increase the interval to 18k. I change it @ 15,000Kms to be safe!
Name:  0ebefdf3.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  46.9 KB

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ese-specs.html

Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm guessing you run this, if so how did it feel compared to OEM?

Have you tried the "cocktail" mix at all from redline?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by llDemonll
I'm guessing you run this, if so how did it feel compared to OEM?

Have you tried the "cocktail" mix at all from redline?
I assume you're talking about this?

http://www.maperformance.com/redline...smissions.html

I have not tried that fluid, no. I went from OEM to MT-85.

Kracka has confirmed in other threads that Redline released this product to replace the cocktail mix evo VIII/IX guys are running in their 5 speeds. He has also said that it's been met with mixed results. Some have better results with the cocktail and others with the MT-85.

For my track evo, I run the MT-85 and it works like a champ. The transmission shifts smooth when cold and great at high operating temps.

You're going to have to try either and see what your car prefers if you're considering switching from OEM.

Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I assume you're talking about this?

http://www.maperformance.com/redline...smissions.html

I have not tried that fluid, no. I went from OEM to MT-85.

Kracka has confirmed in other threads that Redline released this product to replace the cocktail mix evo VIII/IX guys are running in their 5 speeds. He has also said that it's been met with mixed results. Some have better results with the cocktail and others with the MT-85.

For my track evo, I run the MT-85 and it works like a champ. The transmission shifts smooth when cold and great at high operating temps.

You're going to have to try either and see what your car prefers if you're considering switching from OEM.

I'm running the Redline cocktail and love it. I haven't tried the MT85 though so I can't compare with that one.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:35 PM

Can't believe it...the Mitsubishi Main Dealer in HK doesn't stock ANY Diaqueen oil, except AYC
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by hatakashi
Can't believe it...the Mitsubishi Main Dealer in HK doesn't stock ANY Diaqueen oil, except AYC
Interesting. I'm curious... what do they recommend? If they don't have OEM stuff, what the hell are they going to try and sell you?

Maybe you can get it directly straight from Japan?

HK isn't too far... ~2000 Km
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:33 AM

Interesting. I'm curious... what do they recommend? If they don't have OEM stuff, what the hell are they going to try and sell you?

Maybe you can get it directly straight from Japan?

HK isn't too far... ~2000 Km
Well this is what I've gathered
For AYC oil...they do have stock
For LSD and GL-4...they only use "equivalent", but didn't tell me what they use.

But I've sourced LSD and AYC oil from local shops, only GL-4 left...
What other GL-4 brands can I use?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:48 AM
EvoM Community Team

If you can't find OEM stuff, then I would go with the Redline equivalent 'MT-90' for your six speed.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

Remember, I'm just offering suggestions. Do your own research! I cannot be held liable for any damage to your vehicle.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 GSR Oil/fluid Change