Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ZOMG 5th gear grind!

Old Oct 9, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZOMG 5th gear grind!

Ok... before I start this thread let me say this. This is my second Evo. I'm familiar with the 5th gear grind and that there is a TSB for the synchro. I know that the only 100% true fix is to replace the synchro.

On my first Evo when I started noticing the 5th gear grind at high RPM it was because I was shifting too fast. I started taking it easy and this was never a problem ever again.

Onto my second Evo. It will always grind into 4th gear when I shift too quickly at high RPM. I fixed this by shifting slower. I know there is a problem with the synchro. But if I can prevent it from grinding just by not shifting too quickly, then who cares?

Well now my 5th gear has seemed to start doing this same thing recently. But wait a second.... it's seems temp related. If I do one or two quick shifts (not drag racing type shifts) at WOT into 5th gear, as long as I shift like a sane human being, I have no issues. I never have. Now, if I am consistently over and over again shifting into 5th at high RPM's at a relatively fast rate, it'll grind. If I slow down and give the car a breather, it'll be fine for the next one or two shifts into 5th. Weird? I have no issues ever at low RPM, hot or cold.

I know the synchro is bad. But, IMO people seem to blow it out of proportion. If you're getting 5th gear grinds at low RPMS shifting slowly, you have a much more serious issue. I've driven Evo's that no matter what you do, any RPM, 5th grinds. If you're only have issues with quick shifting at high RPM it's just the beginning of the problem, and depending on your driving habits, you can go a LONG time without serious issues (I have before), possibly the life of the car.

Has anybody had luck with simply changing the fluid prolonging this issue? I know it won't solve it for good. But changing the fluid I feel can prolong the problem, maybe act as a bad-aid of some sort. Basically buy some time. Even so, it seems it takes while to develop into a serious problem. I've been thinking about trying Redline MT90/MTL to see if it can help in anyway.

I know some people have made claims that changing their fluids has helped or eliminated (I doubt eliminate) their grinding problems.

EDIT: And just so it's mentioned. Very rarely am I ever at such speeds that I'm shifting into 5th gear at high speeds. Even when I do, rarely am I doing it over and over and over again as I mentioned earlier in my post.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Oct 9, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff notes:

Has anybody had any luck helping the 5th gear grind by changing their trans fluid to Redline MT90/MTL? I've heard claims of this being accomplished. I'm not try to fix anything, just buy myself some time. I don't abuse 5th gear. It only grinds at high rpms with quick shifts.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Redline 75w90ns might help, its not as slick as regular redline 75w90.