Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crankshaft pulley ticking?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft pulley ticking?

So I started my Evo at the end of break after not driving it for about 4 days. I noticed a strange ticking noise that would only tick maybe once or twice every once in a while. I wasn't sure what it was and I had to go somewhere quickly, so I drove off. I couldn't hear it while I was driving except it ticked once while I was idling at a stoplight. RPMs didn't seem to affect it and when I finally got to my destination, I popped the hood again and noticed that it was coming from the crankshaft pulley.
Remember, it doesn't continuously tick. The counterweights seem to stop while the belt is still running. There's no visible vibration from the belt, no clunking or metal slapping. The pulley doesn't seem to have been pushed out. It just ticks when the counterweights start to spin again.

Is this normal? I'm guessing not and that the pulley is supposed to spin as long as the crankshaft is spinning, but everything else seems completely normal except for the counterweights on the pulley coming to an intermittent stop. I've driven it since and I haven't noticed the ticking again so I don't think it's come up again.

Extra info: My oil was overfilled a month ago and I drained and refilled it with 4.6 qts, but didn't replace my oil filter because it was just replaced. So my dumbass forgot the filter has about 0.5 qts in it. My oil level is between 1-2cm above the high mark. Would this affect anything?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 03:38 PM

anyone?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The oil level - probably not.

I don't understand what you are saying concerning counterweights. There are counterweights on the crankshaft but they just lumps of metal and are a solid part of the crankshaft. They can't move independently.

The crank pulley has a solid hub, rubber and then the outer rim where the belt runs. The rubber can come loose and allow the outer rim to slip. If this is your problem you need a new pulley. And, you'd better get it fixed before the thing comes apart and leaves you stranded.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:10 PM

I'm looking straight down the left side of the block, closest to the radiator. It looks like a pulley with 3 little knobs sticking out of it.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats the Ac clutch ...
Old Dec 4, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

When the A/C is not calling for the compressor the pulley spins free on a bearing. When the A/C computer calls for the compressor an electromagnet clamps the compressor shaft to the pulley. Ordinarily, the A/C compressor will cycle on and off if running at all. That is what I take it you are calling counter weights - the center (hub) spinning with the pulley - the compressor is running. The electromagnet will produce a 'clack' sound when it is energized and it engages the clutch. This is normal.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:42 AM

Can't you tell how smart I am? It's insane. Thanks guys
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

We like easy questions. The trouble is there's too many hard ones.