Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Input shaft bearing???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Input shaft bearing???

I've read a few threads about this and many have argued between it being a TOB or input shaft bearing.

Problem is, the classic decel noise. It is not transfer case whine, I promise. I've owned this Evo for nearly 3 years so far. It has always made this noise. It seems worse when it's cold, but I think that's mainly because my windows are up and I can hear it better. When on decel, especially when downshifting, every time I engage the clutch I hear the noise, like somebody rolling a coffee can full of rocks down a bumpy hill. Clutch in, goes away, clutch out, it's noisy. In the summer, windows down, it's not obvious. In the winter, windows up, it's noticeable.

I recently had my clutch replaced (3 months or so ago, Exedy single disc, Cerametallic). The noise didn't go away, BUT, it was dramatically reduced. Made me think, maybe it was the throw out bearing? The noise has started to come back and is now just like it used to be.

The car drives fine other than one minor detail that doesn't affect driveability. It's always done this, but not frequently. Sometimes, when I go to upshift, I'll push the clutch in and it'll almost feel like my shifter "pops" into neutral with very little effort from my hand. This sounds like a possible symptom of a bad input shaft with play in it. Most truly diagnosed input shaft bearings I've heard also make noise on acceleration as well.

I'm not very "internal trans" savvy. So far, nothing bad except for annoyance and aggravation has come from this noise. I'd like to say it's just a noise and deal with it, but I feel like it's more than that.

Any opinions, TOB or input shaft bearing?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

When my input shaft bearing was bad it just sounded like any other bad bearing, and when you put pressure on the TOB it would go away. More of a squeak or squeal noise. Certainly didnt sound like rocks in a can.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
have similar problems replaced clutch with new oem tob sound went away for like 5k now its back im thinking its the input bearing car has 109k on it im not to worried about it its always made the noise since i had the car so untill it breaks ill leave it
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLK_EvIL
have similar problems replaced clutch with new oem tob sound went away for like 5k now its back im thinking its the input bearing car has 109k on it im not to worried about it its always made the noise since i had the car so untill it breaks ill leave it
Exact same thing. My car always made the noise, replaced the clutch, The noise was reduced (not gone) and now it's back as loud as it was. If the noise IS the input shaft bearing, why would it go away with a new clutch?

And like I said, I've seen and been in cars (not Evo's) with genuinely bad input shaft bearings. They makes noise on accel as well, not just decel.

I never really cared until I tore apart a Civic transmission today with a legitimately bad input shaft bearing. Once I got it apart, parts of the bearing where throughout the entire trans and the bearing basically no longer existed. Got me thinking about mine.

Like I said, I'm not extremely transmission savvy, but I know enough to know whats going on.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I took a little video today. It sounds a little bit louder in person. You can hear it on decel especially right after I engage the clutch from downshifts. You can hear the noise starting at 0:17 through the downshifts until the end.

I'm pretty sure it's the input shaft bearing, but it's hard to tell if it's about to explode. Everybody else says theirs make noise too, or Evo drivetrains are just noisy, which I agree with. But how loud is too loud? So far it hasn't left me sitting.

Powered by VideoBam - Free Video Hosting

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Jan 18, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

So am I just retarded or does nobody care?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:30 AM

I kinda have the same thing, except it's much more apparent when above 60mph, and it goes away when I clutch in.....
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my EVO as we speak... i jus ordered TOB and Input Shaft Bearing as i couldnt find a thread about our ENGAGED CLutch NOISE and im hoping my noise will be fixed. Mines almost sounds like screeeching plates rubbing together but when pressing on the clutch its noise is GONE.. from the info ive gotten from here I would say our INPUT SHAFT BEARING is worn out and ready togo

Last edited by Evo9"Miss Rose"; Feb 9, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car does this too, almost like growling when I'm in second gear. I don't hear it once I hit third. Seems to be more noticeable after I've gone for a long drive.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I might have input if I could hear the video. it doesnt work for me.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this same **** on my car.

Only happens over 60 or so.

Left of the throttle rattling like crazy "coffee can"

if i just touch the gas everything is good.

Driving me nuts
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo9"Miss Rose"
im having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my EVO as we speak... i jus ordered TOB and Input Shaft Bearing as i couldnt find a thread about our ENGAGED CLutch NOISE and im hoping my noise will be fixed. Mines almost sounds like screeeching plates rubbing together but when pressing on the clutch its noise is GONE.. from the info ive gotten from here I would say our INPUT SHAFT BEARING is worn out and ready togo

That's pretty much exactly what mine sounded like/did when the input shaft bearing was bad. It made noise when the clutch out and when you put pressure on the clutch pedal the noise would go away.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it could also possibly be bad wheel bearings. sounds similar
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Evo has had this problem since I bought it with 21K on it. I hear a rattling sound on decel when I let my foot off the gas, & also when idling if the AC compressor kicks in, the rattling becomes louder. I thought it was the throw out bearing at first, but when I replaced my clutch & installed a light weight flywheel as well at 60K, that rattling noise got even louder! Next, I thought it must be my tranny. About 15K miles after the clutch install, my ECU started throwing knock codes randomly & I discovered that the input shaft bearings in the trans went bad & were causing so much vibration that the knock sensors would pick it up & think the engine was experiencing pre-detonation, so the ECU would seriously retard the timing making the engine feel like it fell on its face. I figured the rattling noise must be the result of the input shaft bearings! I bought a rebuilt transmission with a new input shaft/bearings/updated 5th gear/polished internals/& race-spec shimming. The bloody noise is still there!! I'm at a 115K now, & the noise hasn't gone away.. Could it be the transfer case??? IDK honestly, & at this point unless it blows up, I'm not planning on buying a beefed up t-case in the hopes that it will kill that rattling noise. I've just learned to live with it & tell myself that the noise is just a part of the nature of the beast.. It's the only thing that has kept me from having the noise drive me crazy!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was told that the input shaft bearing is the cause of the terrible first gear whine that a lot of Evos have, including my own, upon acceleration and deceleration.

Quick Reply: Input shaft bearing???