Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need turbo advice

Hi guys

My turbo in my evo 8 just went. I also have a cracked valve cover. I ordered a new cover but I need some advice on a new turbo.

I want to keep my car a daily driver but I would like to make somewhere around 450hp. I also would like it to be reilable like it has been for the past 5 years. I would like to keep my stock manifold. What kind a turbo will get me to that kinda power with the stock manifold? Will I need to purchase anything else besides the turbo?

I have a 2005 evo 8. It has k&n intake, 272 cams, 3" turbo back with a cat delete dp. Safc which is hooked up but not used. I had a tune done by turbo trix when I had my cams installed. I was pushing 340whp. I forget the torque. I have 129k on the car and I still have the stock clutch. I will replace it when that goes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, your first post and you joined in 2006? Congrats lol. Are you the original owner of ur evo?

Anyway, you have a few choices. FP, MAP or CBRD. All offer turbos that bolt right up to the stock manifold. Being that you live in PA, I would call up CBRD and talk with Chad about your situation. They have a great reputation, great service and tuning and offer some of the best turbos available for our cars.

Pricing among the variants offered is pretty equal from vendor to vendor. Each vendor will generally offer a small, medium and large sized turbo variant. Ball bearing turbos are available but will cost extra being that it is a new technology for stock frame turbos. With the higher price you get added reliability and longevity.

CBRD and MAP consistently have great customer service, FP is hit or miss. I have a FP turbo and its great, but it took them over 3 months to get it to me when I was originally quoted 3-4wks. I can almost guarantee you won't have any problems like that with the other two vendors. As I said above, if I were you I would go with CBRD since you are somewhat close to them. Chad really knows his turbos well and will get you to your power goals. Good luck!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kpsilvia2001
Hi guys

My turbo in my evo 8 just went. I also have a cracked valve cover. I ordered a new cover but I need some advice on a new turbo.

I want to keep my car a daily driver but I would like to make somewhere around 450hp. I also would like it to be reilable like it has been for the past 5 years. I would like to keep my stock manifold. What kind a turbo will get me to that kinda power with the stock manifold? Will I need to purchase anything else besides the turbo?

I have a 2005 evo 8. It has k&n intake, 272 cams, 3" turbo back with a cat delete dp. Safc which is hooked up but not used. I had a tune done by turbo trix when I had my cams installed. I was pushing 340whp. I forget the torque. I have 129k on the car and I still have the stock clutch. I will replace it when that goes.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hmmm,
Well @ 129K on the ODO and you still have the stock clutch I would advise that you upgrade first... but I won't go there in this thread. Chances are any turbo that is going to give you 450whp on a dynojet... your cluth WILL slip far before you put that power to the rollers. Also as YogSaahoth said there are plenty of vendors out there and FP, MAP and CBRD are leading the way more or less... but how much do you wanna spend, because for those kind of #'s you gotta pay to play. Are cams and exhaust ALL you have bolt on wise? No ported IM, EM, TB, Upgraded FMIC... upper pipes, lower pipes, MAP are all these also stock??? You're gonna have to at least upgrade your IC to free up some air flow to help any turbo your thinking of purchasing out man. And if your looking to do this on 93 vs E85 or Q16, I would advise you upgrade all your bolt ons JMHO. Good Luck
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I want to upgrade the clutch but I was just thinking of replacing it when it goes. I have listed all the things I have done to my car. I will be getting custom intercollegiate piping when the new turbo is installed. I forgot to mention that I have a upgraded fuel pump.

I really don't beat on my car too much, but I do get on her every once in a while. I was told that my clutch was gonna go in about 5k after I got the cams and tune but it still grips good. Do I really need to replace it before it goes?

I created this account when I got my evo in 05 and I was gonna do a bunch of upgrades but I lost interest quickly because I was satisfied with the power. I then told myself I would upgrade anything that needed to replaced. And so here I am after 130k on the car and almost 7 years.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm running an HTA green on the stock clutch, making about 400whp and 360tq and its still holding fine. As long as you don't launch, the stock clutch can hold a decent amount of torque. I've been waiting for years for the clutch to go but it just hangs in there so I'll keep waiting and run it into the ground lol. To be honest, most stock frame turbo upgrades make around the same torque on pump gas..but really depends on the tune. On a stock motor you'll want to keep tq below 400 and the stock clutch can take that as long as it doesn't already have a million miles on it and you don't launch. A good tuner can get you 400+ whp, keeping tq low enough to be safe for stock motor and clutch. I'd have some $ stashed away for a new clutch tho cus I suppose at that power/tq level it could go at any time
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
450whp you're going to want probably a MAP EF3. That's a big upgrade coming from stock though, consider an EF2 and shooting for 400 instead.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:28 AM

What is the full name of cbrd?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kpsilvia2001
What is the full name of cbrd?
"CBRD Speed Factory"....Chad Block is the founder and driving force. The original name was, Chad Block Racing Development, hence, CBRD. Now the business is called, CBRD Speed Factory.

Last edited by sparky; Feb 25, 2012 at 03:17 PM.