Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No power to fuel pump and I think the rel

Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No power to fuel pump and I think the rel

Facts:
-This car had a AMS 1000HP fuel system on it and HKS FCon.
-It never ran right with both those parts.
-Car was put back to stock, build AMS motor sold, stock 4G63 installed (with 24k on the clock) from a reputable shop

-New Fuel pump
-Tried a different ECU

I'm trying the cheapest/simplest parts first before I start looking at the 12v wire running to the fuel pump directly or worse the main harness. So through some of the threads here I found other people with the same issue and some of the suggestions thrown out......Beyond it being a wiring issue (nightmare), or a crank angle position sensor (2 different motors and the same issue would lead me to believe this isn't the issue) the simplest thing to check is the Fuel relay.

Any other suggestions? I posted this in turbo forum but I think I might get a better response here (esp since I have a more direct description of the issue.

I tried to order from the dealer but its a special order part and will take a while to get here....mitsubishiparts.net shows 4-10 day turnaround ('ll call them to confirm) and I've hit a few part out people up. No responses yet. Hoping someone has one lying around they don't need that they can sell me or just send me. I'd like to get my car running asap.

Help please. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jul 7, 2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Update: So another forum gave me a diagram on to test a relay here:
and here:

I pulled both relays off the car (that are on the firewall)....one is all black the other one is black and grey at the borrom (its a little bigger). So since I'm a little green when it comes to using the DMM but i bought the best one I could find and set the DMM to continuity......test both sides of each relay. Not sure what they are supposed to read but I read the instruction manual and it states that if it beeps then that = bad. So the first relay (all black one side reads somewhere around 76-78 this is the side with smaller contacts. The side with the bigger contacts gives no reading and beeps.

The bigger relay gives a 62.7 - 62.8 and beeps and the other side just beeps with no reading. I will try to run 2 wires off the batter to the relays and see what the readings are but does that tell any of you anything.

Just realized based on the FSM I pulled the electric pump relay.....So the one that seemed to fail the continuity test is the fuel pump relay but again I'm not even sure I tested it right.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jul 7, 2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i know you probably did, but did you use a test light on the fuel pump power wire @ the fuel pump and the relay sockets? if there is power @ the relay sockets, then it could be a bad relay. if there is no power @ the fuel pump wire then you can narrow down the problem to before the pump. if there is no power at the relay sockets then you can narrow the problem to before the fuse block. let's see, ignition switch on, ecm, security, fuses, relays, then fuel pump. that should be the basic electrical path for that circuit unless i'm missing something. since you did have stuff wired into the harness, i would double check all those connections and make sure it was hooked back up correctly. good luck. keep us posted.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Ground test light...nothing happening on the connector going to the fuel pump, tested the relays in the engine bay (Electric pump and Fuel pump relay 3) and nothing happening on the connectors going to both relays. I tested my test light on the battery to make sure it was still working, lol (And it is).

What could it be?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Neighbour is a master electrician....says he'll try to help me out.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so after checkign relays (2 under dash one big one in the engine bay on the firewall next to the electric pump relay......It appears that the fuel pump relay isn't giving constant power. And he confirmed for me that the relay socket for the fuel pump isn't recieving power either. I'll be ordering one from mitsubishi tonight if I can't find one to test locally.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any updates on this?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thread from the dead.

Issue was resolved and he's making over 700whp now