Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rebuilt my ACD Pump

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lan_evo_mr9
Would you say that the cost of the service from ACD-Tuning is fair after going through it yourself? Good job by the way
Sure the price is reasonable, anything less than the cost of a new pump is! I just like taking on a difficult task every now and then
Old May 1, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice job!

Idk if my fail, i prob will go for non ACD.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chef-j
Very nice job!

Idk if my fail, i prob will go for non ACD.
I don't get it. Why go through the hassle of trying to find a good t-case, paying the shipping for the t-case, labor for the t-case, etc etc when you can just get the pump rebuilt. IMO its a much easier option, less time consuming, and waaay cheaper. Not to mention that the rebuilt pump will last longer than the original due to updated parts and the pump is sealed off from the elements. Plus the ACD system is a great handling system. To each there own I suppose.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lan_evo_mr9
I don't get it. Why go through the hassle of trying to find a good t-case, paying the shipping for the t-case, labor for the t-case, etc etc when you can just get the pump rebuilt. IMO its a much easier option, less time consuming, and waaay cheaper. Not to mention that the rebuilt pump will last longer than the original due to updated parts and the pump is sealed off from the elements. Plus the ACD system is a great handling system. To each there own I suppose.
Agreed. I'm sure the cost and hassle of switching over is more than a pump rebuild. Sometimes it's better to take the path of least resistance!

Last edited by Davedangerous; May 1, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Davedangerous
Sure the price is reasonable, anything less than the cost of a new pump is! I just like taking on a difficult task every now and then
hey, that was the reason I developed all the parts in the first place.. I just couldn't accept being defeated by a stupid gear pump..

In all honesty, and I have been doing pump repairs on a commercial basis, the only reason someone should do it themselves is because of the challenge and/or the fact they really like to work on their car... Sending it out for overhaul makes sense if you just want to fix your car..

If anything, this project resulted in pump repairs being available in the US for what is really a reasonable amount of money..
Old May 16, 2012, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting
Old May 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

*update

We've finally seen some warmer weather around here (70) and I took the car out for a spirited drive with lots of turns. First off I tested the pump again with the key on "on" position and the gas pedal down and I heard the pump run for about 5 seconds building pressure. I then took the car out for a 30 minute drive and returned home without any issue!

"Great Success!"

I'll continue to update this thread as time passes...

Dave
The following users liked this post:
driftnburn (Oct 8, 2017)
Old Jun 2, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Is the car drivable with the pump removed, if the ports are plugged? The ACD should act as an open diff just as it has been doing with the non-functional pump, right? Whether I rebuild the pump myself or send it to ACD Tuning, the downtime is an issue.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ru4real
Is the car drivable with the pump removed, if the ports are plugged? The ACD should act as an open diff just as it has been doing with the non-functional pump, right? Whether I rebuild the pump myself or send it to ACD Tuning, the downtime is an issue.
You can drive normally with no pump... I drove for some 6 months while developing the rebuild kit..
Old Jun 4, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ru4real
The car is driveable without the pump. Though I'm not sure where you can find a cap.
As for downtime, it shouldn't take more than a day/two depending on corrosion to rebuild it yourself. And I don't see the downtime from ACD-Tuning being more than 5-7 days. So It's up to you.

Good luck!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a number for matt at acd-tuning, all I find is an email adddress.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Got 2 bad pumps here. And just ordered a rebuild kit. Cant wait to get my center diff mojo back!

I havent watched the videos yet. But how do you test the solenoid? I only have 1 solenoid. It definitely clicks when applying voltage. Just hoping that isnt my main problem.

Dave, assuming yours is still working well?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I noticed that the solenoid (the cylinder shape thing with the + sign on top) is turned the opposite direction. Does it matter what direction its facing?

Name:  5d2cff6c.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.3 KB
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by damie45
I noticed that the solenoid (the cylinder shape thing with the + sign on top) is turned the opposite direction. Does it matter what direction its facing?
I swapped it back before reinstalltion...but it seemed like it worked in that position. Only difference was how the harness plugged back in.

Dave
Old Aug 9, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

5,000 miles now on the rebuilt pump and no issues even on the hottest of days!

Quick Reply: Rebuilt my ACD Pump