Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch or ACD problems?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Clutch or ACD problems?

Hi guys, I just did a clutch job on my car and I'm not sure if I have a clutch or ACD problem. The other day I was driving home from work and I noticed the smell of burning clutch. I had the clutch adjusted and it was engaging in the middle of travel. I re-adjusted it after I noticed the smell, and it was engaging higher. I started to think it was engaging too high, so I re-adjusted it again and it starts grabbing somewhere 3/4 of the way up I'd say.

I'm running the Competition Clutch Stage 2 with an ACT streetlite flywheel. They took off 18 thousands when it was re-surfaced. I also did a TS Solid front motor mount, Agency Power under hood shifter bushings, and STM one piece SS clutch line and restrictor pill delete. I decided to put in an OEM TOB also. I did have some problems with the dowell pins on the flywheel being crooked. I took it back to the shop and it fit a lot better. Not as good as the stock flywheel , though. Both the ACT and stock flywheel took some body weight to put the Pressure plate on. I used a rubber mallet to hit the PP on and then tightend the flywheel bolts to 20ft/lbs(lowest setting my tq. wrench has) with lock-tite.

Now for the ACD part, I bled it by doing the Ign. "On" and then had my buddy hold the throttle to the ground and then I opened the valve while the motor was priming. I did that 6-7 times and made sure the fluid was not above the top mark on the reservoir. Now after we bled it I noticed the fluid went above the top fill mark and took some fluid out using a pump. Today after getting under the hood I noticed it went back up.

So is my problem and what I'm smelling the clutch or ACD? I don't know if it's possible for the ACD to smell like burning clutch/brakes. I am going to bleed my ACD again later tonight using my tactrix and Evoscan to activate the ACD pump this time.

And I'm also still in my break in period on my clutch. I have 300 miles on it. I'm praying it's something simple cause I really don't want to do a clutch again. Sorry for the long read, someone please help me! lol
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've seen many posts concerning ACD problems but I don't remember any comment about burning clutch smell.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks man, this is my first time changing a clutch in my evo. I've done clutch jobs plenty of times on a Honda and never experienced anything like this before. I really hope I didn't screw anything up. I want to buy go fast parts, not another clutch lol