Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Partial throttle cut out

Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Partial throttle cut out

Ive searched a ton but still havent found many solutions. A few weeks back the car developed a cut out while cruising partial throttle. It happened first on a rainy night. My first thoughts were we sucked up some water onto the filter. A few weeks later same problem. It started acting up one day so I through my foot into it to see what it would do. It finally through a p0300 code, random/muliple cylinder misfire. Which was the first and only. So I updated my tephra mod with the p0300 code disable. Still had the same cutting out. It doesnt happen to often, maybe two or three times in a 20 mile commute, sometimes not at all. Cruising along out of boost 2500-3000 rpms it will start cutting out and you'll have to let off the throttle to regain driveability. Ive noticed my wideband flat lines lean which to me would indicate failed fuel, not failed spark. A few days ago I check the spark plugs, cleaned and regapped. Same issue. Today I did a boost leak test, found a small leak at my j-pipe an a small one at the throttle body seals. Neither of which were real large. I went to clean the filter and maf. I found my honeycombs in the filter. I thought for sure that was it. Repaired them and installed. Cleaned the filter and maf. Same problem. The car does have an aftermarket intake and open filter but mind you I never had a problem till now. Curious if anyone has some thoughts on what to check. Or maybe some ideas on what I should log and try to replicate it?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:56 PM

Bump. Lots of people trollin on through. Any ideas...?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:43 AM

Bump. Repairing the leak at the j-pipe and replacing the plugs today. Any other ideas...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:56 AM

possibly a fuel pump issue, im no expert but my fuel pump wiring was ****ed up and it was on and off like that.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I was going with ignition, but the lean AFR are a concern. After fixing the maf is it still lean? I'd check the coils.
  1. Measure the resistance between the high-voltage terminals of the ignition coil.
  2. Check the primary coil
  3. Check spark plug resistance
  4. Check camshaft sensor
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:40 PM

I uploaded a log from today. Its a little long but there are like 4 times of it happening. Note, I was going wot in these to get it to replicate what it does during cruising partial throttle. In the first 4 pulls they all seem to follow the same pattern. If you look at the first one everything seems normal till load, air flow and injector pulse just dive and knock jumps up. At the same moment the wideband jumps lean. The second pull, load takes a huge dive to 54 at 100% throttle then ramps back up. The 5th pull was somewhat normal. The car pulled and did not cut out. I noticed in the log however that right at the beginning of the pull load dove to 0 at almost 100% throttle. Any idea on whats going on? I could be wrong but it doesn't seem spark related to me..?
Attached Files
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever figure anything out with your issue?
I absolutely have an issue where I misfire once for a split second and my SRS light comes on. After that initial misfire, the car drives fine. Just like you, the first time it happened was on a rainy day. Since then it has only happened once more.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:41 AM

i had cutout in mid to full throttle and it turned out to just be spark plugs needed replacing.