Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
Hell yes! Very useful for the community!
98.14%
No way, I still don't know what filter I need!
1.86%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good work on the testing golgo. So do I owe you free filters for life now ??
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Good work on the testing golgo. So do I owe you free filters for life now ??
LOL

Nope, but I do need to stock up on some Ea046 filters before they're all gone! I'm already a preferred customer at my local AMSOIL dealer. I think he might have a few of those WIX filters left.

Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by golgo13
LOL

Nope, but I do need to stock up on some Ea046 filters before they're all gone! I'm already a preferred customer at my local AMSOIL dealer. I think he might have a few of those WIX filters left.

All jokes aside, I was not expecting such a good quality test case so hands down to you.

You know I truly need to brag here. Some time ago air filters were tested and AMSOIL came out with flying colors and here you are showing oil filters and results are not shabby. The oils have tested the same way to be high end quality.
Good signs of a company that desires to be around for a while by providing good products.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up. I honestly would have expected more out of the wix.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by TommiM
Nice write up. I honestly would have expected more out of the wix.
Lots of people love WIX, and for a straight cellulose filter it's at the top of its class. The construction of the WIX filters were also high quality as well. But for a little bit more money, you can get the Purolator and safely double your OCI.

Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice job!

Anyway I can talk you into doing the Ford Motorcraft "S" line of filters
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for doing the test between the filter, now forsure i will be swtiching to AMSOIL Oil filters.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Good info, thanks for sharing with us all. I've been an avid user of the OEM filter, and I figured it wouldn't perform as well as other filters costing more than double or triple the cost I get them for. I have a surplus of OEM filters to use, once those are gone I will have to base my next filter of choice by the info you shared here, thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Smike
Nice job!

Anyway I can talk you into doing the Ford Motorcraft "S" line of filters
Come on smike you are an AMSOIL user, you need to be using EA filters
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow good job golgo. I appreciate the work and the writeup.
Too bad the best filter of the bunch is being discontinued.
I'm a little surprised you got any information from the manufacturers besides what is already printed on the box or on their web sites. For the most part these big mfgrs are more interested in fooling people than in giving out actual fairly derived info. But then I guess you don't really know that the info they gave you is fairly derived.
I think that Toyota oil filters are pretty good. Spent a few minutes looking to see if any Toyota filters fit these cars, but I guess not.
For sure I'm not a Champion Labs fan, as you can probably tell from my closed louver photos posted a couple years ago.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8994770
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Talonboost
Too bad the best filter of the bunch is being discontinued.
Yeah, I'm going to have to track some down. I would be curious to see if apagan01 still had some.

I'm a little surprised you got any information from the manufacturers besides what is already printed on the box or on their web sites. For the most part these big mfgrs are more interested in fooling people than in giving out actual fairly derived info. But then I guess you don't really know that the info they gave you is fairly derived.
It wasn't easy, that's for sure. I spent weeks in some cases constantly emailing one engineer or another, often getting forwarded or passed around to someone else. With Mobil, I was able to befriend a customer support rep that was excited about my grassroots test and went the extra mile to contact the appropriate people in their engineering and marketing departments to get the correct spec sheets. DENSO not only didn't want to share their proprietary information (which everyone else has on their website in some cases and in plain view) they were pretty rude to my persistence.

For sure I'm not a Champion Labs fan, as you can probably tell from my closed louver photos posted a couple years ago.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8994770
That's some scary stuff right there, just goes to reinforce what I was saying that price-to-quality does matter. Not in a million years would I have ever thought to shine a flashlight down the center tube of a brand new filter. The up shot is that you have complete circumstantial evidence proving it was the filter that destroyed the motor.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Great testing. Only one other filter I would have like to have seen done is the FRAM XG/X2/Extreme Guard. (No not the cheap orange one)

I'm sure it would be near the top of your list here

Great work none the less
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Great testing. Only one other filter I would have like to have seen done is the FRAM XG/X2/Extreme Guard. (No not the cheap orange one)

I'm sure it would be near the top of your list here

Great work none the less
If you want to send me one, I'll gladly test it. I just don't want to spend any more of my own money to see if anything will beat the Purolator or AMSOIL filters.

Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
If you want to send me one, I'll gladly test it. I just don't want to spend any more of my own money to see if anything will beat the Purolator or AMSOIL filters.

Understood. I may take you up on that.

Thanks again for taking the time and sharing the information here
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the biggest point you missed stressing is ALL these filters have pressure relief valves at ~15psi. what that means is at anything over idle MOST the oil does not pass through the filter at all. the engine runs with very little of the oil being filtered at any given time. therefore NONE of these filters actually extend the life of these engines better than the next. ALL these filters allow LARGE particles to pass the filter and hurt your bearings.

mitsubishi does state the oil filtration system is full flow. but it is most certainly not. not with bypass valves set at 15psi. if you want to improve filtration get a reusable filter with no bypass.
Jerry the is the way this works, it is actually the opposite to what you have described.

If a filters bypass spring preload is set at 15 inch lbs this means that it takes 15 in lbs to close it shut a pond at this point the oil is routed through the filter media. When you start the car for example the oil is needed NOW to lubricate the internals so in this case the oil is routed through the bypass chambers.

Then you are asking yourself so why doesn't the filter catch the particles from bearing #1 is because when you let go of the throttle and you PSI fell under 15 lbs the oil went around the media through the bypass chambers hence the particles made it back into the oil stream. I don't care how expensive of a filter you have it will not catch it filters are not meant for this purpose.

Now we need to set the record straight on how important the filters are even in performance cars where the oil is changed very often. The filter will capture any small or large particles trying to pass through the filter itself, in the case of an EA13 filter you have the advantage that it is a synthetic media so less restriction and better filtration for longer periods a super plus from the junk paper filters. The wrong filter will allow carbon residues, and or other debris to get back into the oil flow.

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)