Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt

I plan on going to 264in/272ex. hks cams within the next 4 months. and also the vishnu cam gears. i am thinking of getting the

Super Strong Timing Belt
Super Strong Balance Shaft Belt

would these be a good investment to get.

also how much would it cost to get cams and cam gears installed. i was thinking of going to RRE to get them installed. can it be done while i wait. or is this a drop off your car situation.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

There really isn't much of a need for the Super-Duper belts.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I installed the cams and cam gears you're thinking of. I can't comment on installation costs, as I did the job myself.

But note that replacing the timing belt will add some significant labor to the cost of replacing cams and cam gears. If you're thinking that a new timing belt can be installed for free just because you're in there anyway... Sorry, not the case.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Are the balance shafts really run from a belt? What happens if it breaks?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

If the balance shaft belt snaps, it usually gets tied up with the main belt and causes a big headache. If you're lucky, it stays in time and they just need replaced. If it jumps more than a few teeth, you're looking at valves meeting pistons (which is usually the case if the timing belt goes).
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by Dale_K
Are the balance shafts really run from a belt? What happens if it breaks?
I know..... I know!!!! My 93 Talon lost a balance shaft belt and 8 valves where hammered by pistons. It actually occured under extended warranty and the dealership replaced the valves and springs. The belt did not break, but jump off due to a rock or stick or bad luck. I agree that super duper belts are not needed as the OEM belts have an excellent record. Dave Buschur pointed out in another thread that they use the stock belts are their drag motors. (900 to 1000hp at 10,000 rpm).
Old Feb 10, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

haha really thats good to know.. **** those belts than. nah jk.. i will stay with my oems. than... i wonder if its ok to use fidanzo cam gears instead of vishnus and still be able to use his maps sucessfully.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Your tune will not be affected by who manufactures your gears as long as your cams are timed properly.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

if i'm not mistaken Vishnu uses Fidanza.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jbrennen
I installed the cams and cam gears you're thinking of. I can't comment on installation costs, as I did the job myself.

But note that replacing the timing belt will add some significant labor to the cost of replacing cams and cam gears. If you're thinking that a new timing belt can be installed for free just because you're in there anyway... Sorry, not the case.
Cams it adds labor, if your changing cam gears, which is silly, and pointless, then its the same labor.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock belts are usually high quality. The biggest difference with a lot of mods is torque and RPM on the belt. The more force you can put into the piston, the faster you can rotate the crank or more accurately accelerate it. This puts a load on the cogs in the belt as the crank accelerate more quiclkly thus having a shock affect on the belt as it brings the cams along for the ride.
This would show up in cog strength and a belts ability to resist stretching.
The other obvious point is higher RPM but you are not really jumping up a lot if you do so it's not a big issue. I don't see any of the people making big numbers bothering with the belts so I'd say you are pretty safe with the stock belt.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ItsStockOfficer

Cams it adds labor, if your changing cam gears, which is silly, and pointless, then its the same labor.
So you don't agree with Evo Motorsports? In their Camshaft Installation instructions http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?techID=18 they say:

We will be using the Mitsubishi "Timing Belt Tool" for this install. If you do not own this item, you will have the additional labor of removing and replacing the timing belt, which adds greatly to the total install time as you might imagine.
I replaced my cams and cam gears, and didn't even come close to doing what would have been required for a full timing belt replacement.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Once someone actually looks at the disassembly required to remove and replace the cam belt they'll understand the added cost. At the bare minimum you're looking at complete removal of the serpentine accessory drive belt & passenger side motor mount. I'm not sure if you've got to pull the main crank pulley off or not. I'm guessing an experience mechanic could do the work with an additional hour of labor or so.

If we've got a case of the "while we're at it", why not do the valve springs and retainers? It's accepted that the springs and retainers are at their limits. In fact, given a choice between a timing belt and springs & retainers, I'd skip the timing belt if it's still well within it's service life.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jbrennen

So you don't agree with Evo Motorsports? In their Camshaft Installation instructions http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?techID=18 they say:

I replaced my cams and cam gears, and didn't even come close to doing what would have been required for a full timing belt replacement.

OK, well, we all know your lying and didn't change your own cam gears now. Unless you would like to explain to me how, after ziptieing the belt to the cam gears (shown nicely in step 18) you managed to pull the cam gear out from underneath the timing belt and replace it with a aftermarket cam gear, while keeping it all properly aligned.....The entire point of that procedure that makes it possible is that you can leave the belt aligned on the gears. The minute to remove a gear from the tbelt that website lost its usefulness.

I HAVE done this a **** load of times. I garuntee you EVOMOTO pulls the belt for cam gears...

Unless you know something I don't?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I changed the gears without even coming close to having to completely remove the timing belt. I didn't have to use wireties either, since it made no sense cause they'd have to come off to take the gears out. I just used some whiteout and marked the belt to where the timing marks were.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt