Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help dropping SUB-FRAME

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help dropping SUB-FRAME

Hey guys, need help dropping the sub-frame. In this DIY write up, he says "remove the steering column 10mm bolt from inside the car" in order to drop the sub-frame. I can't find that bolt from inside the car! Can anybody explain in detail or post a picture of where that bolt is?
In this link, scroll 5 pictures down to see the instructions on how to drop the sub-frame https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ll-review.html

And yes I have to drop the sub-frame re-installing because I have a 6-speed tranny and theres no way its going back in with the sub-frame stillin the way. Even this guy agrees: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-ix-mr.html

Thanks in advanced for any help. Much appreciated, you guys are life savers!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crawl underneath the drivers side dash. Behind the accelerator pedal you will see a plastic cover over where the steering column goes through the firewall. It may be a bit dark so shine a light so you can see. Remove that plastic covering and you will see the steering column going through the firewall better. You will see a 10mm bolt on the shaft, if not you may rotate the wheel a bit to expose it a bit better. Mark the aignment of the two shafts before you separate them to make it a bit easier. Remove the bolt and the shafts should separate.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Mine did not have a bolt on the shaft, but a squeeze clamp that I slide down using a pair of pliers. Make sure you mark the splined shaft where it connects to the female portion with some paint so you can realign when putting back.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

In the pic you can see the red paint over the head of the bolt, this is the one you need to remove. Its a 10mm. Its not a bad idea to mark the alignment of the shaft before you separate them as well. This is under the dash, behind the pedals, btw.

240ZTwinTurbo, does your steering shaft not look like the one in this pic?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
240ZTwinTurbo, does your steering shaft not look like the one in this pic?
Here is a pic of my rack out so you can see I disconnected further up. I will try to take a pic.

Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, I just slide down that white plastic end piece and then removed the tension clip with some pliers. You can see the red fingernail polish to mark the position when reinstalling.

Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Here is a pic of my rack out so you can see I disconnected further up. I will try to take a pic.

off topic, but are your swaybar bushings mounted slightly over those small holes on the subframe or are they centered away from those holes?

You can see the small holes in the subframe. If you try and center the bushings, part of it will sit over the holes, and not sure I particular like that idea. Those clamps are just on there to keep the swaybar from 'walking'. Thats the reason I ask though, because now since it wont slide I want to make sure its compeltely centered correctly.

Last edited by TommiM; Dec 24, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:09 PM

Man both of you are life savers!I'm going to drop it out tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:14 PM

Hey guys I got the sub-frame down, tranny back in etc. Now everythings bolted up and torqued down but I can't seem to get the steering column spindle back into its connector under the steering wheel. I went with the 10mm nut method under the steering wheel..
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:16 PM

Not literally under the steering wheel but on the floor board behind the pedals where the 10mm bolt is. I can't get that spindle shaft thing back together, it looks like its too low im confused!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Did you try sliding the spindle shaft down? If memory serves me right, I had to use a pair of pliers to clamp the clip on the spindle shaft and pull the spindle shaft out to connect it to the steering rack.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

iirc, there is a bit of slack and as you raise up the subframe you can slide down the other half and align it. Its so much easier with two people or at least be able to see where your at as you raise the subframe and begin to align it back on.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the help fella's but that seems to be the least of my worries now. I ended up skipping that step and decided to start putting the wire harnesses back, plugging sensors in, re-installing intake and battery and then down pipe.

Anyways, when I put the slave cylinder back in, I notice that the TOB fork is stuck towards the passenger side of the car; thus making the slave cylinder pointless. Obviously the TOB isn't connected to the pressure plate. What did I do wrong? Ahhh this is stressful!

Thanks again for all the help, you guys have been great.